Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #2,446 of 2,605
Does anyone leave the ZD on for days at a time? Going on 52+ hours of continuous power and it seems to sound better each day.

Don't do this. Unless you like burning through hundreds of dollars worth of tubes on a regular basis.

The amp only needs 30mins if that to get to optimal temperature. The ZDS runs hot. Once it gets to optimal temp it's not going to change anymore.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,448 of 2,605
I would like to introduce to you the 135th ZDS! I was looking at an upgraded 6sl7 tube, however, the Mullard ecc35 are above 200$! I am looking for a tube that is smooth, clear and maybe emphasizes mids a bit. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_8136.JPG
    IMG_8136.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 25, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #2,449 of 2,605
I would like to introduce to you the 135th ZDS! I was looking at an upgraded 6sl7 tube, however, the Mullard ecc35 are above 200$! I am looking for a tube that is smooth, clear and maybe emphasizes mids a bit. Any recommendations?

Congratulations. What transducer(s) are you pairing it with?

Mar 26, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #2,451 of 2,605
I am pairing it with the HD650 and HD800. I have a utopia but it has become too fatiguing for me to listen to and thus have placed an order for a ZMF Auteur. Here is an obligatory pic which I failed to attach the first time around.

I understand your reservations with Utopia. I do, however, find it an exemplary pairing with the ZDS if you are patient with it. The RCA 5691 red base is a great pairing with the Utopia/HD800. As for the HD650, green lettered Philips JAN is a solid and neutral performer and a great alternative to the Mullard, which I agree is overly pricey.

I am really interested in how you find the Auter/ZDS pairing. It should be magnificent.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #2,452 of 2,605
I understand your reservations with Utopia. I do, however, find it an exemplary pairing with the ZDS if you are patient with it. The RCA 5691 red base is a great pairing with the Utopia/HD800. As for the HD650, green lettered Philips JAN is a solid and neutral performer and a great alternative to the Mullard, which I agree is overly pricey.

I am really interested in how you find the Auter/ZDS pairing. It should be magnificent.

When I first tried the ZDS with the Utopia I realized very quickly just how magical the pairing is. It't just that to my ear the utopia becomes hard to listen to pretty quickly. Similar to how I found the HD800 harder to listen to for long periods of time compared the the HD650. Honestly the biggest shock to me was just how good the HD650 and ZDS are. I do find myself longing for a bit more soundstage, clarity, and image precision. I hope Auteur will delver. I will be sure to update the thread with my impressions, but the Auteur is still at least a month out :frowning2: . Its a Blackwood with black hardware btw.

Thanks for the tube recommendations! I will try to get my hands on them as soon as possible.

Mar 26, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #2,453 of 2,605
When I first tried the ZDS with the Utopia I realized very quickly just how magical the pairing is. It't just that to my ear the utopia becomes hard to listen to pretty quickly. Similar to how I found the HD800 harder to listen to for long periods of time compared the the HD650. Honestly the biggest shock to me was just how good the HD650 and ZDS are. I do find myself longing for a bit more soundstage, clarity, and image precision. I hope Auteur will delver. I will be sure to update the thread with my impressions, but the Auteur is still at least a month out :frowning2: . Its a Blackwood with black hardware btw.

Thanks for the tube recommendations! I will try to get my hands on them as soon as possible.

I understand. Both HD800 and Utopia are picky headphones, which depend highly on both users' preferences and equipment. The HD650 is no surprise; this is one of the very best amps for that headphone, particularly with the high gain/impedance switched up. I actually prefer HD600.

I hope the Auter is amazing. I wish I could hear it on my ZDS.

Mar 26, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #2,454 of 2,605
I am pairing it with the HD650 and HD800. I have a utopia but it has become too fatiguing for me to listen to and thus have placed an order for a ZMF Auteur. Here is an obligatory pic which I failed to attach the first time around.

The Autuer is exceptional with the ZDS.

May 11, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #2,456 of 2,605
Any tried the ZDS with LCD-4's (200ohm version)?
I took my LCD-4 (no longer own these) and ZDS to a meet. It does not blow up, but it is also far from ideal.

May 31, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #2,457 of 2,605
Had the privilege of being able to listen to a pair of Blackwood Auteurs on a ZDS + Yggy A2 chain, incredibly synergistic. The punchy, fast equipment provided the perfect counterpoint to the slightly-warm cans. This system is as musical as, or more so, than any other chain I've heard, dynamic, planar, or otherwise. The only thing I want more of is soundstage, which is only because of the HD800's spooky wide soundstage. It outperforms them in every other tangible way. Cannot suggest trying this combination enough, it is truly special.

May 31, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,458 of 2,605
Had the privilege of being able to listen to a pair of Blackwood Auteurs on a ZDS + Yggy A2 chain, incredibly synergistic. The punchy, fast equipment provided the perfect counterpoint to the slightly-warm cans. This system is as musical as, or more so, than any other chain I've heard, dynamic, planar, or otherwise. The only thing I want more of is soundstage, which is only because of the HD800's spooky wide soundstage. It outperforms them in every other tangible way. Cannot suggest trying this combination enough, it is truly special.

I run this exact setup (Yggy A2 - ZDS - Blackwood Auteur) and concur. An incredible pairing.

May 31, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #2,459 of 2,605
Thinking about grabbing a PS Audio Directstream, has anyone had experience listening to the ZDS+DSD?

Jun 1, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #2,460 of 2,605
I am intrigued the potential of the Auteur and the ZDS. I see the Blackwoods are no longer available. Would Teaks/Ash be sufficient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back