- Mullard ECC35: hi-fi oriented, focused on mediums and soundstage
- Valvo 6SL7GT: very similar to Mullard, but highly rare

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #2,149 of 2,605
  Owner of a Zana Deux SE, the best tubes are according to me:
- Tung Sol 6SU7GTY / 6188: perfect fit with the LCD-X
- RCA 5691: strong tube, but less detailed than Tung Sol
- Mullard ECC35: hi-fi oriented, focused on mediums and soundstage
- Valvo 6SL7GT: very similar to Mullard, but highly rare

All nice tubes of the better 6SL7 variety, I all prefer them over some of the more "British" sounding tubes. FYI the ECC35 Mullard, actually made by the Dutch company Philips isn't British sounding at all. I mean overly warm and mid-centric.
The Valvo, in my memory (I had it with the ZDSE) is a really nice tube indeed. Fond memories and searching one again since I was stupid enough to sell it.
But what's really missing in your list is the modern A-grade Sophia 6SL7. Less warmth than the others on your list but an increase in clarity, detail and spaciousness. 
I know Craig isn't a fan of Sophia but as far as I know that mainly concerns 2A3, 300B and PX4 tubes, I never heard any mention of their 6SL7 tubes from him. He's free to contradict my opinion of course and I never tried the Sophia with the ZDSE but on my ZDS it really shines and enhances the improved qualitys of the ZDS.
Of course, I still enjoy NOS tubes like the 6SU7 and ECC35 just as much but the Sophia is among them in my top list.
Yes, I am sponsored by Sophia Electrics, they promied me a Sennheiser Orpheus II. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #2,150 of 2,605

All nice tubes of the better 6SL7 variety, I all prefer them over some of the more "British" sounding tubes. FYI the ECC35 Mullard, actually made by the Dutch company Philips isn't British sounding at all. I mean overly warm and mid-centric.
The Valvo, in my memory (I had it with the ZDSE) is a really nice tube indeed. Fond memories and searching one again since I was stupid enough to sell it.
But what's really missing in your list is the modern A-grade Sophia 6SL7. Less warmth than the others on your list but an increase in clarity, detail and spaciousness. 
I know Craig isn't a fan of Sophia but as far as I know that mainly concerns 2A3, 300B and PX4 tubes, I never heard any mention of their 6SL7 tubes from him. He's free to contradict my opinion of course and I never tried the Sophia with the ZDSE but on my ZDS it really shines and enhances the improved qualitys of the ZDS.
Of course, I still enjoy NOS tubes like the 6SU7 and ECC35 just as much but the Sophia is among them in my top list.
Yes, I am sponsored by Sophia Electrics, they promied me a Sennheiser Orpheus II. 
wink_face.gif

Knew it!  Tricky tricky marketing tactic, Sophia.

My ZD pre-amp tube of choice though 
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,151 of 2,605
  Knew it!  Tricky tricky marketing tactic, Sophia.

My ZD pre-amp tube of choice though 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, $55000 for a single post isn't bad is it? :wink:

I use the ZD only as a HP amp, didn't know until recently it's a pre-amp as well, thought it was loop-out which I 'd have preferred. Never tied it with my ZDSE or ZDS.
But the Sophia as well as the 6SU7 or ECC35 are top matches.
Everything else I tried was either bad (stock tube), too warm (British tubes) or less impressive than those mentioned above.
1 mysterious tube though, if you can find it: Philips 6SL7 with green lettering. Have it and heard others opinions on other forums which match mine.
Mine was a gift from Craig. I consider it a mysterious gift which would be a great loss if it died. Just like the ZD is a misterious amp which outmatches the $7k+ Studio for 20% of the listeners who were able to compare both (I never had that chance if you wonder). But that does mean everything comes down to flavor and I do love the flavor of any ZD. I have the BW on order since September last year and I'm among those who will have one  of the first BW version 2 available soon.I surely hope it has the EC Magic as well.

I recently got into vintage receivers and they outperformed any $$$HP I had so far (see profile, some SS some tubed) but the only HP amp they couln't outmatch was the ZD. Says a lot ....

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #2,152 of 2,605
Yeah, $55000 for a single post isn't bad is it? :wink:

I use the ZD only as a HP amp, didn't know until recently it's a pre-amp as well, thought it was loop-out which I 'd have preferred. Never tied it with my ZDSE or ZDS.
But the Sophia as well as the 6SU7 or ECC35 are top matches.
Everything else I tried was either bad (stock tube), too warm (British tubes) or less impressive than those mentioned above.
1 mysterious tube though, if you can find it: Philips 6SL7 with green lettering. Have it and heard others opinions on other forums which match mine.
Mine was a gift from Craig. I consider it a mysterious gift which would be a great loss if it died. Just like the ZD is a misterious amp which outmatches the $7k+ Studio for 20% of the listeners who were able to compare both (I never had that chance if you wonder). But that does mean everything comes down to flavor and I do love the flavor of any ZD. I have the BW on order since September last year and I'm among those who will have one  of the first BW version 2 available soon.I surely hope it has the EC Magic as well.

I recently got into vintage receivers and they outperformed any $$$HP I had so far (see profile, some SS some tubed) but the only HP amp they couln't outmatch was the ZD. Says a lot ....

I have the phillips tube with green lettering, found it surprisingly good.
Haven't got the Sophia.
I currently am using the Grey coated National tube.

Oh and I have the original ZD not the SE version.

May 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #2,153 of 2,605
A lot of interesting posts concerning the Zana Deux and tube rolling. I have ZD #17 and it is still my favorite headphone with Sennheiser products (600, 650, 800) and the Enigmacoustic Dharma.
An area that can greatly improve - change the sound of the ZD is upgrading the fuse. I have tried stock ,Isoclean, Furutech, and Synergistic Research fuses. The Synergistic Research Black fuse makes a very large improvement in sound to my ears. The best part is they are sold with a 30 money back policy! I have not encountered that with my tube rolling adventures. I hope you will give this fuse a trial in your Zana Deux. I think you will be pleased.

David Pritchard

May 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,154 of 2,605
A lot of interesting posts concerning the Zana Deux and tube rolling. I have ZD #17 and it is still my favorite headphone with Sennheiser products (600, 650, 800) and the Enigmacoustic Dharma.
An area that can greatly improve - change the sound of the ZD is upgrading the fuse. I have tried stock ,Isoclean, Furutech, and Synergistic Research fuses. The Synergistic Research Black fuse makes a very large improvement in sound to my ears. The best part is they are sold with a 30 money back policy! I have not encountered that with my tube rolling adventures. I hope you will give this fuse a trial in your Zana Deux. I think you will be pleased.

David Pritchard

I have the Synergistic Red, but didn't compare, I should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back