Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Mar 23, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #2,076 of 2,605
So my ZD needs repair work... 
confused_face.gif
 Umbilical connectors needs to be re-soldered.

Anyone ever disassembled one? From post #719 it looks like I just need to remove the bottom plate to get access to the umbilical connector. http://www.head-fi.org/t/193868/eddie-current-zana-deux-owners/705#post_4471655 

Can I make do without a pin extractor tool for the female ends on the cord itself? Are the pins on the male, chassis mounted end easily accessible for soldering? (Can't see from the pics I've been able to find.)

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,077 of 2,605

Big tube indeed, about as big as the new caps on the ZDS. Of course it fits, it's a 6SL7 and I have one on my Zana right here.

Best you reckon for detailed sound with 3d soundstage ?

I cannot get over my NU JAN-CNU 6SL7GT, cannot find anything that beats it.

Detail and clarity is the at the top of the tubes I heard so far. Check my porile for a list.
I had some others in the past with my Zana SE, mostly British but those were a little too warm and at times muddy for my taste.
Haven't really compared soundsatge so won't comment on that.
Despite being detailed and clear the new Sophias can't be called hars, they're still tubes.
I recommend them and the few others who tried them and I read their opinions seem to like them as well. Surely a tube to try.
I mostly switch between the Sophia, 6SU7GTY and 6SL7WGT Philips with green lettering.
Last one is pretty hard to find as far as I know, I got one by "accident" and never found a second one.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,078 of 2,605
I would not lump British tubes in to one basket and characterize them in the same way.  Sure, most do add warmth, but to different degrees.  For example, the Brimar is not my cup of tea but I have yet to find a better tube than the brown base ECC35 Mullard/Philips Miniwatt.

On a whim, I just tried a Sylvania Gold Label JAN-CHS-6SL7WGT and my impression is - greater neutrality, a more forward sound in the mids and highs, good detail, big dropoff in bass, and not as open compared to the ECC35.

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #2,079 of 2,605
  I would not lump British tubes in to one basket and characterize them in the same way.  Sure, most do add warmth, but to different degrees.  For example, the Brimar is not my cup of tea but I have yet to find a better tube than the brown base ECC35 Mullard/Philips Miniwatt.

On a whim, I just tried a Sylvania Gold Label JAN-CHS-6SL7WGT and my impression is - greater neutrality, a more forward sound in the mids and highs, good detail, big dropoff in bass, and not as open compared to the ECC35.

I think you're right, generalizing is usally not a good idea.
I was mainly talking about the Brimars I had with my former ZD SE.
The ECC35's are indeed in a whole other league. They're Dutch however although most of them were made in the UK. Mullard is just a Bristish sub-brand of Philips. I have two of them now, a brown base and a black base. Only acquired them recently so no opinions vs. my Sophia, Philips or 6SU7 yet from me, need soome time for that.

Wondering about that Sylvania Gold label though, never seen one like that. Can you post a pic?

But again, try a brand new Sylvania and get A-Grade. Useless to save some bucks on a cheaper version of the same tube when you have an amp at that price that is most certainly underpriced to some other amps it is compared with. You might be pleasantly surprised with the Sophia.

I know Craig is not a fan of the Sophias but that mainly refers to the 2A3s and PX4s. Never heard his opinion on the 6SL7s though.

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,082 of 2,605
Ok I've had a couple hours of time with the Tungsol round plate now.  Nice tube.  Maybe now my second favorite.  It's more neutral and less spacious than the Mullard.  There's an ever so slight touch of glare on some tracks.  Overall, the Mullard is just more musical and engaging, and the soundstage difference is not minor.  Still, I suspect there may be some music (heavy metal, general rock) that sounds better with the Tungsol, though I haven't gotten that far yet to be sure...

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,084 of 2,605
Tube Rolling is a lot of fun with the Zana Deux. I have had my Zana Deux #17 since 2008!. I do have most of the tubes mentioned in this thread including the 1959 Valvo.

After buying  a few driver tubes I would make the following suggestions to increase the sonic pleasure from my favorite headphone amp. 

Put in a Synergistic Research Black fuse. Use a 3.5 amp or 4.0 amp value. These fuses come with a 30 day trial. With a money back trial and the ease of replacing the fuse ( in the drawer under where the power cord inserts) this is a real no brainer. It will take 100 hours to burn in before sound stabilizes. $119.00

Use a good quality power cord such as a used Synergistic Research Tesla Hologram A or a Synergistic Research CTS- A power cord. Used these are between $900 and $1500 dollars.

Use a good audio grade wall outlet like the Synergistic Research Teslaplex SE wall outlet - $95.00. 

I do think think the above suggestions will greatly improve the wonderful Zana Deux listening experience.

David Pritchard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back