Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Mar 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #2,041 of 2,605
Hehe, it's sounds like that with every headphone you plug into it. :wink:
At the back of your power supply, where you plug in the power cord that comes from the wall socket.
Right below it there's al little plastic tray.

Else post a pic of the beack of your power supply.

I found it, it was just there.

Changed it now, what should I be listening for with is Red Fuse ?

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #2,042 of 2,605
I found it, it was just there.

Changed it now, what should I be listening for with is Red Fuse ?

I wish I knew ... I think it adds some magic ... fairies and a bit of sparkling dust.
My fuse is a black HiFi-Tuning Supreme 3 Slow-Blow Fuse though, I 'm pretty sure the Red Fuse might add more of gnomish sound with a touch of psychedlic shrooms.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #2,046 of 2,605
  I also joined the Zana Deux crowd yesterday. My ZDT arrived and I'm currently listening to it. I'm happy with what I'm hearing. I'm hesitant to give impressions of the amp straight up as my Sonic Frontiers SFD-1 is definitely doing its thing on the sound a bit since it's a tube DAC but its a very very musical sound. Now I just need to figure out 12AX7 tube rolling.

Sorry, I get confused easily.... What's a ZDT?  Perhaps you meant ZDS, in which case, congrats!!

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,047 of 2,605

Sorry, I get confused easily.... What's a ZDT?  Perhaps you meant ZDS, in which case, congrats!!

Nope I meant ZDT - it's the Zana Deux Transformer which is now out of production. Like a ZDS except transformer coupled. Instead of being a pre like the ZDS it can drive speakers from its taps directly and puts out more power. From those who have heard both the end result is just better ability to drive low impedance headphones, tighter bass, slightly smaller soundstage and somewhat less warmth.

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #2,048 of 2,605

Nope I meant ZDT - it's the Zana Deux Transformer which is now out of production. Like a ZDS except transformer coupled. Instead of being a pre like the ZDS it can drive speakers from its taps directly and puts out more power. From those who have heard both the end result is just better ability to drive low impedance headphones, tighter bass, slightly smaller soundstage and somewhat less warmth.

Oh, well congrats in that case as well.  I've never seen one.

BTW, regarding 12AX7 - try the 5751 instead and specifically Sylvania Gold Brand with black plates.  You can thank me later.  :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #2,049 of 2,605

BTW, regarding 12AX7 - try the 5751 instead and specifically Sylvania Gold Brand with black plates.  You can thank me later.  :)

Thanks!

This is what it looks like except mine has a silver top instead of a black one https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3366/4621083254_1ae1f23831_b.jpg

Just bought one today! That and a Raytheon 5751 Windmill getter. Rest of my list for the future is a Brimar 12AX7, Mullard CV4004, Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 and a RCA 5751 triple mica black plate

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #2,050 of 2,605

Thanks!

This is what it looks like except mine has a silver top instead of a black one https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3366/4621083254_1ae1f23831_b.jpg

Just bought one today! That and a Raytheon 5751 Windmill getter. Rest of my list for the future is a Brimar 12AX7, Mullard CV4004, Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7 and a RCA 5751 triple mica black plate

Cool!  Sylvania Gold Brand and GE 5751 (both with black plates) are highly recommended (by me).  It's been a while, but I'd never tried Brimar or Mullards, but found the Bugle Boys overrated.  The Raytheon is pleasing to listen to... I found it very mellow, doing nothing wrong at all, just not my favorite.  Of course this was all in an amplifier, not a DAC for me.

-EDIT- Oh the 12AX7 looks to be in the ZDT.  My bad.  Interesting.

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #2,051 of 2,605

Cool!  Sylvania Gold Brand and GE 5751 (both with black plates) are highly recommended (by me).  I'd never tried Brimar or Mullards, but found the Bugle Boys overrated.  The Raytheon is pleasing to listen to... I found it very mellow, do nothing wrong at all, just not my favorite.  Of course this was all in an amplifier, not a DAC for me.

Hm - I was pretty unclear - the 12AX7s are actually for the ZDT. The SFD-1 takes 6922s. Currently have the '74 Reflektors in it. Might grab some CCAs later once funding allows. How did the Syl and GE compare to the Raytheon as far as sound sig?

Mar 22, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,052 of 2,605

Cool!  Sylvania Gold Brand and GE 5751 (both with black plates) are highly recommended (by me).  I'd never tried Brimar or Mullards, but found the Bugle Boys overrated.  The Raytheon is pleasing to listen to... I found it very mellow, do nothing wrong at all, just not my favorite.  Of course this was all in an amplifier, not a DAC for me.

Hm - I was pretty unclear - the 12AX7s are actually for the ZDT. The SFD-1 takes 6922s. Currently have the '74 Reflektors in it. Might grab some CCAs later once funding allows. How did the Syl and GE compare to the Raytheon as far as sound sig?

Yeah, I edited my post above after seeing the ZDT pic.  :)

It's been a while now since I've had a 12AX7 amp.  In fact, let me dig through some stuff in the attic and see if I have any tubes left over that I can send you.  I don't see myself repurposing them any time soon.   My recollection of the Raytheon was laid back compared to the other two.  Windmill getter specifically, I don't recall it that's the variety I had..  And now, I wonder if these days I'd even prefer its signature, but back then I preferred the other two.  What I remember most with the Gold Brand was the midrange being most favorable, and both it and the GE being more dynamic and lively.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #2,055 of 2,605
Congrats! Never sell that amp, together with my vintage amps it's the best I've ever heard for phones and I had and heard a lot of amps.

The ECC35 are great and indeed a bit warm. Also consider Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY (more accurate) and brand new Sophia 6SL7 (nice detail). 
By any chance, does anyone have an opinion on the Brimar CV1985 tubes in comparison to ECC35 or 6SU7?

Where you plug in the power cord, right above it there's a fuse tray.

The Sophia 6sl7 seemed a fairly big tube, do we know whether it will fit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back