Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Oct 3, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #901 of 2,605
No matter what I got, I needed an extension. I've had a 16 ft. cord for a long time. I can tell you that when I hooked these up on my solid state, there was no more break-in time. The full frequency, every percussion instrument, it was mind-blowing. I had even thought about re-terminating, but I just wanted to put the stock unit to the test. It passed.

Obviously now I'm getting a very clean sound, a different presentation. This is only the beginning. I am going to re-cable before anything else.

I hope you'll have some good BBQ or Mexican food spots for when we finally come and visit the Menil.
wink.gif
Thanks man.

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #902 of 2,605
I think I had a pair of those too around that time - yes, blue (and white) IIRC. They certainly seem to be working for her! I put 20' cables on all of mine except the Grados, which I haven't gotten around to yet. I move stuff around and need to be able to plug into stuff that's across the room from The Big Chair. Drew Baird (Moon Audio) is great. Also, you might think about recabling balanced and having an XLR-to-1/4"SE adapter made up so you can plug into both your ZD and the Balancing Act when you get one. :wink:

Just went to the Original Ninfa's (on Navigation) today for lunch. I'm still (after 30 years) looking for good barbecue here. Dozier's in Fulshear used to be OK but I think you may still have to go to Cooper's in Llano for "the best"! Things are still rather a mess after Ike but there was no damage at the Menil (it's allegedly designed to weather a Cat-5). -Tim

Oct 8, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #903 of 2,605
The original Ninfa's , wow. So let's hear the rundown of your phones. I was looking at the Beyers back in 2000, never could afford them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not really interested in Balanced as much as developing the potential of single-ended as well as the speakers. Wonder if anyone has run the NuForce w/ the Zana.

My friend here has re-cabled some 650's. I've been wanting to work with him for quite awhile on this, glad we got the ball rolling. I'm trying to tell you that his extension literally overpowered the A900's. When I plug it into the Zana, the sound drops (without the phones attached). The AT's don't do that by themselves.

You're right about the BBQ, we've been wanting to goto Coops, Blacks, that whole circuit for sometime.

Just got Dylan @ Royal Albert Hall (66), and the Powerstation cd, which I've got on vinyl somewhere. Also went thru my gf's cd's this weekend, for being electronic ... the Depeche Mode sounded surprisingly good, especially the voice. It was stunning actually. So is the Dylan.

Without a doubt ..... Craig is the Cy Twombly of amplification. I can wait on the Menil.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #904 of 2,605
If anyone has experienced, so would be nice to hear the ideas the ZD and the Meridiana 508.24 common life. Because that combination is probably soon be here.

My Zana Deux is now a dumb, fuse burned time after time, fortunately, Craig has been very helpful and he advised me to test the power supply. the problem was found, and now it is on the road for repair.

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #906 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recstar24 I noticed you had the ZD and the Meridian 508.24. Can you tell your experience? PLS.

For whatever reason, meridian and eddie current is amazing synergy. My previous rig was moth s2a3 and Meridian g08, the synergy i had there with my grados was pretty stellar. If you search the meet impressions forums for the chicago meet i threw, you can read impressions. The ZD and 508.24 was the same thing but half the cost. I no longer have the ZD, but have the latest modified version of the moth 2a3 with my 508.24 and its still the same sonic goodness.
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #907 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The original Ninfa's , wow. So let's hear the rundown of your phones. I was looking at the Beyers back in 2000, never could afford them.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not really interested in Balanced as much as developing the potential of single-ended as well as the speakers. Wonder if anyone has run the NuForce w/ the Zana.

My friend here has re-cabled some 650's. I've been wanting to work with him for quite awhile on this, glad we got the ball rolling. I'm trying to tell you that his extension literally overpowered the A900's. When I plug it into the Zana, the sound drops (without the phones attached). The AT's don't do that by themselves.

You're right about the BBQ, we've been wanting to goto Coops, Blacks, that whole circuit for sometime.

Just got Dylan @ Royal Albert Hall (66), and the Powerstation cd, which I've got on vinyl somewhere. Also went thru my gf's cd's this weekend, for being electronic ... the Depeche Mode sounded surprisingly good, especially the voice. It was stunning actually. So is the Dylan.

Without a doubt ..... Craig is the Cy Twombly of amplification. I can wait on the Menil.
smily_headphones1.gif

I get bored very easily, but I also tend to replay the same content, so I occasionally switch out cans and sources. I have multiple copies of many CDs and disks, various pressings, issues, imports, etc. Need to whack the sound sometimes to remind my tiny brain to actually LISTEN.

Still enamored of the HD650 with the ZD. I've never been able to go this long before without getting bored (and I'm not even remotely bored with this rig). At first, I couldn't stand the GS1000s with the ZD compared to the 650s. Now I can tolerate them but I still prefer the Senns. I do find that I prefer them at mid-to-higher volumes, where the ZD cracks through the Sennheiser veil while maintaining extremely tight bass.

I like the Grados with the DECCO, where they sound very tubey. The GS1000s can be flabby but this is my falling asleep/low-volume rig, so it's not a problem. I also use them (or the 880s) with the RA-1 plugged into the G5 when working at home. I set up different EQ curves in iTunes for various sets of cans. That's usually not critical listening though, so it's pretty much academic. I have everything encoded Apple Lossless but at the desktop I've no DAC.

In my listening room, I feed the iTunes library on the G5 to a G4 PowerBook, and then go via fiber to a Headroom Balanced Max, Home version (with the DAC, obviously). I can feed this to the Gallos via the NAD M3 (using the Headroom as a preamp) or plug multiple cans to the front panel outputs. This is generally where I listen to the K701s. I also feed the balanced outputs of the M5 to the HR box, and use the K701s, 880s, Senns (balanced) and GS1000s (SE) here. This was my usual mode before the ZD arrived. Now, I never use it. I'm considering getting rid of it, but that would leave me with no DAC and only an RCA out from the PowerBook to access my digital library (about 10,000 titles), so I'm paralyzed. It's a great unit, but about the same investment as a semester's tuition for my eldest or an old Subaru for skiing the high country, so ....

I generally use the Stax now exclusively with the vinyl rig. I switch back and forth between it and the ZD. I will often replay stuff and switch between them. I thought I was going to dump all my dynamic stuff and go completely electrostatic but I am amazed at how the Zana Deux is essentially as fast as the Stax and gives up little on the leading edges of notes. As to the differences, I am beginning to wonder whether some of the things I hear, and liked, with the Stax are actually on the recording, now that I have a few hundred hours in on both sets of cans.

One thing I do know with certainty, one must have various sets of cans; there is probably no ultimate set of headphones. Some do certain things better'n others, you appreciate different parts of the same music differently with different cans, and the greater the variety of cans used to listen, the more you will hear and appreciate. Like speakers, except that the various gradations of world-class sonic reproduction can be more-affordably appreciated. I'm not much for reviews of cans (or speakers), as they tend to be like wine reviews. In the end, they're utterly subjective, and you just have to live with the thing and listen to it for a long time to determine how you really feel. So my view is that you might as well just go out and order one of each of the top cans you have an interest in, play with them for a while, plug them in to whatever you have, and listen. If you find after a year that you're not using something, sell it. (Ain't it great that this is so much easier to do w/ cans than speakers!) Chances are though, you'll have found at least something that each of those cans does best - and you'll want them all!

Sorry for the babble and the bandwidth. Hope all's well up there! -Tim

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #908 of 2,605
It's awesome. I accept my fate.

Obviously the Sennheisers are always on my mind. I know they are coming back, and I am glad to hear they are still kicking a**. So I've got a thing for blue headphones ....
smile.gif
I'd really like to hear from the AT owners about the Raffinatos, etc. I know it's probably ridiculous to re-cable these. But they certainly made me a believer.

I keep my playlist off the iMac, although I had some stuff going last summer. Never had any luck w/ the eq , couldn't get that hardcore into it, maybe some software would help. My thing is the Sirius. I just got the Conductor. 90% of the point was to have an actual jazz station, and on my previous receiver, acoustic music was terrible. I'm hearing some amazing work now and it is getting better. I heard some lower-octave upright-bass last night ..... wow. Things are starting to change.

The paradox is that the music that I haven't had for so long is better than ever. My heavier stuff has taken it's time, and that's fine with me. It sounds incredible.

Oct 16, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #909 of 2,605
*whistles*
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #910 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlterAnthony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*whistles*
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome aboard! What's your Ser.no.? -Tim

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #911 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by twestby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome aboard! What's your Ser.no.? -Tim

My Zana is number 68.
BTW, love that brown base Tung-sol 6SL7WGT from 1962.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #912 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlterAnthony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Zana is number 68.
BTW, love that brown base Tung-sol 6SL7WGT from 1962.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, good stuff, but it's hard to go wrong. -Tim

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #913 of 2,605
Picked up the Zana Deux last week from another member. I can't get over how good the amp sounds with my 650's. This is with the stock cable since my V3 Senn cable is terminated with a mini plug. I doesn't match as well as I had hoped with my GS1000's. I've read that going with something other than the stock output tube may help with the 1000's.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #914 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up the Zana Deux last week from another member. I can't get over how good the amp sounds with my 650's. This is with the stock cable since my V3 Senn cable is terminated with a mini plug. I doesn't match as well as I had hoped with my GS1000's. I've read that going with something other than the stock output tube may help with the 1000's.

Congrats on your Zana Deux! It is an awesome amp. The stock driver tube is not the best, and a bit harsh IMO. Plenty of tube information in this, and especially the Zana Deux tube-rolling thread.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #915 of 2,605
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto the congrats!! I like the GS1000s with a Brimar 6SL7GT but I've heard others like Mullards (not too different from Brimar) and another I can't remember. I would note that I DID NOT much like the GS1000 sound on my ZD until the amp had some burn-in time on it. It will change significantly the first x hours and I found that putting the Grados away for a few weeks did wonders. Now I love them with the ZD. -Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back