Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Oct 2, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,311 of 2,605
I'm still looking for a warmish English Brimar tube.

Would this one be a good one?
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Vintage-Brimar-CV-1985-6SL7-GTY-5691-AMPLITREX-TESTED-/152140097420?hash=item236c41a78c:g:MAAAAOSwM4xXauJY

Am I right in looking for a CV1985 with brown base or is there a better type?

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,312 of 2,605
  A lot of interesting posts concerning the Zana Deux and tube rolling. I have ZD #17 and it is still my favorite headphone with Sennheiser products (600, 650, 800) and the Enigmacoustic Dharma.
An area that can greatly improve - change the sound of the ZD is upgrading the fuse. I have tried stock ,Isoclean, Furutech, and Synergistic Research fuses. The Synergistic Research Black fuse makes a very large improvement in sound to my ears. The best part is they are sold with a 30 money back policy! I have not encountered that with my tube rolling adventures. I hope you will give this fuse a trial in your Zana Deux. I think you will be pleased.

David Pritchard

Thank you for your sharing of your experience.

Two questions about Synergistic Research Black fuse

1. There are two fuses in power inlet, so does it need two Black fuses?

2. I heard Black fuse has direction, so which direction do you recommend?

Oct 9, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #2,313 of 2,605
Zana Deux and Utopia is end-game in the headphone cosmology. Period. If you already own the ZDS, sell your tangential gear to get the Utopia. For Utopia users without the ZDS, sell your amps and buy this one immediately. Just incredible synergy.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #2,314 of 2,605
Zana Deux and Utopia is end-game in the headphone cosmology. Period. If you already own the ZDS, sell your tangential gear to get the Utopia. For Utopia users without the ZDS, sell your amps and buy this one immediately. Just incredible synergy.

I second this. ZDS/Utopia is one of the top 3 systems I've heard that I consider truly consider end-game. And I rarely say something's end-game unless it is better than 99.9% of stuff out there. Utopia and ZDS are a match made in heaven.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #2,315 of 2,605

I second this. ZDS/Utopia is one of the top 3 systems I've heard that I consider truly consider end-game. And I rarely say something's end-game unless it is better than 99.9% of stuff out there. Utopia and ZDS are a match made in heaven.

And the other two systems are?

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #2,316 of 2,605

And the other two systems are?

Studio/HD650 and Studio/Utopia.

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #2,317 of 2,605

EC amps and dynamic cans, just my taste. I really need to find a place to try the Utopia.

Have you both been able to try the Pioneer M1 and how does it fare against the Utopia?
I never heard the Utopia but the M1 on my ZDS with a 6SU7GTY is pretty high-end to me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #2,318 of 2,605

EC amps and dynamic cans, just my taste. I really need to find a place to try the Utopia.

Have you both been able to try the Pioneer M1 and how does it fare against the Utopia?
I never heard the Utopia but the M1 on my ZDS with a 6SU7GTY is pretty high-end to me.

Haven't heard the Pioneer.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,319 of 2,605
Hello guys,

I am going to place an order for the Zana deux super. The DAC I hope to get is the Schiit Gungnir multibut. My question is which headphone would pair the best in that setup. I cannot stretch to the Focal Utopia. I was considering the Sennheiser HD 650, HD 800, Focal Elear. Any suggestions?

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,320 of 2,605
Hello guys,

I am going to place an order for the Zana deux super. The DAC I hope to get is the Schiit Gungnir multibut. My question is which headphone would pair the best in that setup. I cannot stretch to the Focal Utopia. I was considering the Sennheiser HD 650, HD 800, Focal Elear. Any suggestions?

Pioneer M1? There might be on up for sale second hand now, check the M1 thread.
Also, your dac of choice has been described as a dac with sharp highs by some ZD owners. Others love it.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #2,322 of 2,605
Hello guys,

HD650 (or HD600/580)is a mandatory purchase with this amp imo. You just missed out on the HD6XX drop. Modded HD800 is also fantastic from ZDS. I have not tried the Elear. Another headphone I am interested in is ZMFs new high impedance biocellulose dynamic headphones (though they are closed). I would imagine good things for this headphone on the ZDS. Oh, and Utopia is also very good from ZDS, but, despite having less flaws, it does not completely wow me like the modded HD800 can do.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #2,323 of 2,605
I was aware of the HD 6xx. I prefer the look of the original. Especially with the retro look of the zana deux. Also I needed a longer cable. Thanks for your input I have read multiple times that the hd650 is excellent with this amplifier. I just wondered if any of the other headphones were an improvement in any way.

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #2,324 of 2,605
HD650 (or HD600/580)is a mandatory purchase with this amp imo. You just missed out on the HD6XX drop. Modded HD800 is also fantastic from ZDS. I have not tried the Elear. Another headphone I am interested in is ZMFs new high impedance biocellulose dynamic headphones (though they are closed). I would imagine good things for this headphone on the ZDS. Oh, and Utopia is also very good from ZDS, but, despite having less flaws, it does not completely wow me like the modded HD800 can do.

How is the 6xx supposed to be different from the 650? Is it better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back