Eddie Current Transcription Phono Preamp?
Mar 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 56
Damn, nice setup! Thanks for posting pics. I've got a SOTA (Star III) and a Kontrapunkt (c) myself. Would love to have an SME arm and Transcriptor phono like you've got, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Have you tried comparing MC loading between the 38(?) / 150 ohms settings? I'm curious on how the Kontrapunkts might do below 100 ohms.

The step-up transformers inside the Transcriptor are what allows the high MC gain plus low noise floor, in conjunction with the tube MM gain stage. A combo that usually costs FAR more money from the traditional hifi phono manufactureres!

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 56
Thanks! No, I haven't tried a lower loading on my Kontrapunkt B. I am missing an extra pair of jumpers which are necessary to adjust the TA to the lower 37.5 ohm setting, but Craig is sending me a pair. My previous phono preamp (Graham Slee Reflex/Elevator combination - will be for sale on Audiogon soon) has loadings of 100 ohms and 800 ohms, but nothing in between (although more outside this range). I found 100 ohms to be too congested/bloated and 800 ohms too shrill on the top end for this cartridge in my setup. So far, 150 ohms seems like a good choice with the TA. I have much more listening to do, though. I just got the TA today and have only listened to one album!

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by robinje /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fit and finish are superb inside and out. I popped the hood and the circuitry is tidy with very high quality components - extraordinary build quality throughout. I'd post an internal pic, but I haven't sought Craig's approval to do so.

It's good to know that there is another viable unit available in the market and I'm pleased for you.

However please note: you have purchased the unit and therfore it is up to you what you do with it. You can post 1000 pictures of the inside if you choose to do so. You do not need the permission of anyone. You do not need permission UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If they tell you that you need permission they are lying to you. That is a fact.

: )

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's good to know that there is another viable unit available in the market and I'm pleased for you.

However please note: you have purchased the unit and therfore it is up to you what you do with it. You can post 1000 pictures of the inside if you choose to do so. You do not need the permission of anyone. You do not need permission UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. If they tell you that you need permission they are lying to you. That is a fact.

: )

I've dealt with Craig pretty extensively over the years and popping the top and taking pics has not been an issue for him.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've dealt with Craig pretty extensively over the years and popping the top and taking pics has not been an issue for him.

Nice to hear it. That's actually the way it should be, because it belongs to the owner and he (/ she) is free to do as they choose! The only point to note is that if you do 'pop the top' then you might invalidate the warranty. However if there is no seal (as on the EC Transcription), and if you do not touch anything inside, then you are likely to be fine.

But anyway, my apologies for diverting the thread... back to the phono stage...

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #24 of 56
I have no desire to pull the unit out and pop the top again just for pics, as the TA is sitting comfortably in my equipment rack pumping out some amazing sound. I have had various nice phono stages up to $3500 in my system, and the Eddie Current TA is definitely not shamed by any of them. In fact, it just may be the best that I've heard. I'm not into doing extensive comparisons, and would rather just sit back and enjoy the tunes knowing that I now have a fantastic sounding phono preamp obtained at a more than fair price. As far as I'm concerned, the TA most certainly qualifies as a superb bargain.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #26 of 56
Congrats robinje and thank you for the photos. I'm sure "Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill" are explosive on there. I might have to go pick that up.
wink.gif
atsmile.gif

The day I took shipment, Craig encouraged me to open the Zana up and see how "beautiful it is", and I also appreciate his aggressive "plug-n-play", user-friendly approach. As reserved as Craig is .... it's obvious he is very into what he is doing.

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #29 of 56
I've had the ECTA at the house for 5 days now and what a revelation. I've owned my fair share of phono pre amps from Mod Squad (McCormack), JLTI, ASR mini basis, the GS Era Gold, Audio Research (phono stage in a pre amp), RSA XR-2... none were close to the level of performance of this phono stage.

The only one that is close is the mic pre amp/digital RIAA curve in the MH ULN-8. The ECTA does produce more micro detail that others omit that is making listening to LPs fun and a new experience again. At $1200 it is a no brainer and quite possibly the best phono at twice the price. The only other phono stages that I have heard that are as nice or best it are the CAT pre amp's phono stage and the Doshi pre amp. Now I have not heard a Manley Steelhead in a system I know so who knows how it would fare?

I know this is a strong statement but I know from meets with Craig that this stage has been in development for the past three years and has been scrapped and rebuilt several times. This was not because we at the meets did not like it, we loved it, he had a sound he was trying to capture and would not release it until he had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back