Eddie Current HD25 or Woo Audio 3 or MPX3/PPX3
Nov 11, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise

I don't remember seeing any tube-rolling threads re: the Woo, though; that could be interesting.

BTW, Mr. Wu is indeed very nice!

I have been rolling some tubes in my Woo3. While the stock tubes are OK, I (highly) recommend shelving them. The 6AS7G's (bottle) types and a higher sonic quality 6DJ8's make all the difference in the world (e.g. Amperex Bugle Boys and Siemens 6DJ8s/RCA, Philips and Philco 6AS7G bottles). All sonic and emotional facets are improved, clarity, definition, soundstage etc. Every combo I have tried has been great and seems to offer its own merits. The Bugle Boys with either the RCA (more refined/extended bass punch) or the Philips (slightly laid back and more open mids) are an excellent choice. IMHO, the Woo3 doesn't start to shine until a retube.

HD-650>Cardas>WOO3

Nov 11, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4music
I have been rolling some tubes in my Woo3. While the stock tubes are OK, I (highly) recommend shelving them. The 6AS7G's (bottle) types and a higher sonic quality 6DJ8's make all the difference in the world (e.g. Amperex Bugle Boys and Siemens 6DJ8s/RCA, Philips and Philco 6AS7G bottles). All sonic and emotional facets are improved, clarity, definition, soundstage etc. Every combo I have tried has been great and seems to offer its own merits. The Bugle Boys with either the RCA (more refined/extended bass punch) or the Philips (slightly laid back and more open mids) are an excellent choice. IMHO, the Woo3 doesn't start to shine until a retube.

HD-650>Cardas>WOO3

That is nice to hear. I have high hopes for it. I hope other owners will follow suit and post there impressions (good or bad). Just from reading here I got the impressions that the Woo 1 was a "so so" performer. The noted improvements should do it well and it is in a very good price field.

Nov 13, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
insomniac, I think that Craig at Eddie Current has an HD-25 demo to send around. I remember him telling me that at one time. Give him a call. I did not find the hd25 to be bright. It wasn't as tubey sounding as the the hd300, but there is no question, it sounds like a tube amp.

He does. BTW any links on the woo audio, I can't find it?

Nov 13, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaknupallnite
He does. BTW any links on the woo audio, I can't find it?

http://www.wooaudio.com/

Nov 28, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #21 of 31
Although the E/C and Woo look like awfully good options, especially for the price, I decided to take the plunge on a PPX3-6CG7 for a bit more. As advertised, Mikhail was absolutely wonderful to deal with. The ordering process alone somewhat reaffirmed my decision (though I'm sure the other two guys offer excellent service as well). It should be arriving within 2 weeks, so I'm greatly looking forward to my first tube experience.

Nov 28, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #22 of 31
I guess I jumped in too late given that you ordered yours already. I was going to suggest getting the 6sn7 version of the PPX3. It's simply divine. I wasn't as thrilled with the original PPX3, although I didn't think it was bad.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 31
I have one on order myself. Did you get any of the upgrades? Jenson oil caps etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Although the E/C and Woo look like awfully good options, especially for the price, I decided to take the plunge on a PPX3-6CG7 for a bit more. As advertised, Mikhail was absolutely wonderful to deal with. The ordering process alone somewhat reaffirmed my decision (though I'm sure the other two guys offer excellent service as well). It should be arriving within 2 weeks, so I'm greatly looking forward to my first tube experience.

Nov 28, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 31
Congrats on your purchase.
icon10.gif
Let us know when it gets there. Did you get to listen to one at the recent N.Y. meet?

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 31
I never made it out to the NY meet so I'm purchasing blindly. In fact, I've never heard a tube amp before.

I went for the PCB version with the Solen Stage 1 and Jensen Paper upgrades.

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
A little late but : http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88831

Thanks, your review came up in a search so I had read it before making my decision. I really gave serious thought to the Woo, which edged the E/C by a nose because of price. In the end, I decided to give the Singlepower my first shot at tubes. It just seemed like the safest route for me sound quality-wise. I was looking for that stereotypical lush, sweet tube sound. Seemed like the PPX3 was going to get me the closes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back