Eddie Current HD2 Balanced Amp impressions
Dec 5, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used and use interstage coupling but those transformers have to really be made right and they can pick up hum. I have mine encased in mu metal. Transformers are an art and good ones are very costly. I have output transformers in my home dac and the transformers alone cost over a 1000 dollars and this is for a dac not a power amp.

Jack from Electraprint is doing the transformers and if anyone knows transformers it's him. One thing you'll find with Eddie Current amps is they all have a customer friendly parts to cost ratio. The electra prints are not "off the shelf parts for this section of the amp' additionally Craig has plenty of experience doing this as Moth audio offered a transformer coupled interstage amp

Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was wondering...

1) Does this unit come w/ an external PSU like the one in the Zana photo on the EC website?

2) Could you list the I/O of the back of the unit, or possibly take a photo of it?
biggrin.gif

3) Do you know if this feature of "taking the balancing transformers in and out of circuit" is intended for the public release, or is that an extra special sauce he just included for you?

4) Lastly, is there a benefit to taking the transformers out of circuit with headphones, the way you found it to be for speakers? (I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of transformers)
tongue.gif

yes it has a PS similar to the Zana but they are not interchangeable
there are 3 rca inputs, 1 xlr input and one xlr output and one rca output. The production modle will be different and will may scrap the outs for speaker taps.
I an pretty sure the line knob that controls the inputs trannys would remain as they also flip between the 4 pin headphone jack and the 1/4 inch.

you last question is 1/4 jack is always single ended and in the balanced mode it does not function, the xlr does function in either mode as do they speakers. I believe Craig wanted to be able to hear the iron in and out.

Dec 6, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #17 of 23
This is a pretty sweet sounding amp when I heard it which was before Craig tweaked it a bit. I hope to have another shot at it in February when hopefully Florida invades the Bay Area.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 23
so have you found some "russian kept" 6c33 yet?

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so have you found some "russian kept" 6c33 yet?

funny you should mention this I have a surprise tube coming in this week hopedfully not early edition 6c33b but something that will work as well in the circuit

Jan 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 23
WoW, Craig never fails to create stunning looking amps.

May 24, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WoW, Craig never fails to create stunning looking amps.

He makes best looking amp so far.it s EC Aficianado...
wink.gif

May 24, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #22 of 23
Yes, for me the Aficianado is also the best looking amp ever made.
And I am sure it will also sound phantastic
wink.gif

I really hope I cann afford one...

Jochen

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #23 of 23
I am always super late to the party.
Catching up on learning of other tube amp designs,
and shocked to see this beauty!
This amp looks really really special.
Dam I am sooo late to this.
:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread