Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #112 of 363

Got my order in today.  My understanding is the boards are in, have been tested, chasis are in and just waiting for assembly.
Cmon Black Widow :)

I think Craig is a one man outfit? The assembly of a few hundred amps can take a long time.

They are doing 100 unit run I understand.  Glad to make it on the list.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #116 of 363
  Is there any advantage (other than convenience) at having the XLR output if there is no balanced input?  

Nope.

Neither is there on most amps (speaker or headphone) that have balanced inputs as well. (Best example is the Rotel RB-1590 which I have heard in balanced and unbalanced mode compared to my Marantz PM-11 with the same speakers.) The Rotel is far from balanced, it doesn't even have discrete separate channels. The Rotel has a lot more power and control but the Marantz simply sounds a lot more smooth and musical, just right.
What is more, and I will get my butt kicked by some members for that, even a true balanced headphone system from source to end doesn't make any difference FOR ME. I simply don't hear it with headphones and haven't had the chance to try it with speakers yet. 
TO ME, balanced is a gimmick for audiophiles. It's only use is professional to run longer cable lengths which audiophiles don't use anyway as they try to keep their cables as short as possible, preferably half a meter or if not possible one meter.
I do use balanced though since my DAC, like most, has only two outputs: XLR and RCA. I use XLR for my main speaker system since the amp accepts it and RCA for my headphone and vintage amps since it's the only thing they accept. I switch my RCA cables from the DAC straight to the amp I wanna use at that time. No switch boxes in the chain, I don't mind putting a pair of cables in just before I start listening.
So, IMO, you should stop thinking about balanced or not and certainly frown upon opinions who tell you there's a difference between single plug 4-pin balanced vs. two plugs 3-pin balanced.

Have I written IMO enough?

So yes, the balanced output is simply there for convenience.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #117 of 363
I can't say I'm sure there is a difference either.  I have tried the same amp, same HPs etc switching back and forth and I do hear a difference but I think it is just in gain.  So for the BW maybe the XLR is for those that have the K1000 or some other HPs w/ XLR terminations.   

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #118 of 363
  I can't say I'm sure there is a difference either.  I have tried the same amp, same HPs etc switching back and forth and I do hear a difference but I think it is just in gain.  So for the BW maybe the XLR is for those that have the K1000 or some other HPs w/ XLR terminations.   

Oh there is gain for sure, but only on the outputs from your source so the inputs of your amp. About 2x the gain.

Apr 28, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #119 of 363
Is there any advantage (other than convenience) at having the XLR output if there is no balanced input?  

The advantage for me is to be able to plug my hd700 and lcd2 at the same time with plenty of power on tap. Of course my hd700 is louder, but it is nice to be able to share the experience and compare HPs.

May 2, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #120 of 363
Does anyone have any guesses on pricing for the next run? The 1289 applies only for the first 100...

If it exceeds my budget, I'm gonna preorder the Liquid Carbon before its 5/5 deadline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back