Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2016 at 5:43 AM Post #212 of 363
@raybone0566

I found this info:

Considering that EC now has nothing to gain (this amp is cancelled), I will now say a few words about it: This amp is super special. I would not call the BW or BW2 a neutral sounding amp. Others may feel free to disagree with me, but IMO, what makes the BW super special is that it has a warmth and bloom akin to the Zana Deux amps. The original BW (10 units) has a tonal balance similar to the Zana Deux SE. The later BW2 has smoother treble, less warmth, and expanded stage approaching to the Zana Deux Super.

To be totally clear, the BW is not as good as the ZDS or any well implemented tube amp. No solid-state amp will sound as good as a well implemented tube amp under appropriate conditions. What the BW offers is a certain warmth and bloom* and treble smoothness without sacrificing transient response, liveliness, microdynamics, and deep stage (relative to other solid-state amps) without sounding dead, overly forgiving and polite, or like mud. With a good source, the BW is a highly engaging amp where you can listen to for hours. I have never heard a solid-state amp like this and I don't expect one like this to ever be made again. I don't expect everyone to like it, but I do honestly believe this is going to be one of those rare collector items, crappy silk-screening, bad fonts, hammer-tone paint, and all.

Marv is pretty much nails it here, that's exactly how the BW sounds and I really love this sound. It indeed resembles the Zana at a lower price point like I said before.
These are going to be collectors items indeed and will fetch quite a few bucks in a few years time I can imagine.
Not a hair on my head is thinking about selling mine though, I went through too much pricey and other SS amps and this is the only one that matches my taste. Like I have said before, it resembles the sound of my vintage receivers. No othher sleek modern amp managed to do that, only good tube amps have that sound I like, the sound of the Zana, BW and vintage receivers.

Sep 9, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #216 of 363
Yes, a year + wait, but well worth imo. Looks like very few were made. I know you got yours early in the run. I was one of the last with my being #26. But this amp has me really wanting the ZDS.

Better get one while they still make them, they've been wanting to ditch the Zana for ever due to the intense heat it produces. The reason they don't ditch it is because of the huge demand. Or so I was told.
No really, getting a Zana is the best thing any headfier can do, a real no brainer.
The price? Half of what it should cost if you ask me.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #218 of 363
No reason was given. It was just stated that it's been discontinued. From what was posted Seems like they weren't really happy with the cosmetics of the unit.

I speculate that it's more of an economic issue.  A low end amp that may depend on quantity sales for healthy profit is not conducive to a boutique company where manpower is likely the limiting factor.  Not the Schiit business model.  Lower volume higher end quality products prolly make more sense for EC.

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #219 of 363
I speculate that it's more of an economic issue.  A low end amp that may depend on quantity sales for healthy profit is not conducive to a boutique company where manpower is likely the limiting factor.  Not the Schiit business model.  Lower volume higher end quality products prolly make more sense for EC.

So they invented the low-end amp with high-end sound?
Or is high-end defined by price and not sq from now on?

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #220 of 363
No.  I think everyone is happy with the sound.  It's just at its price point, most likely a certain number of amps have to be sold just for break-even, and that assumes an efficient production procedure, if not assembly line.  And since the BW1 (ala Red Top) was originally positioned at <$900 sans power supply, with only Craig and Judi on payroll and limited production with no hard time line assumed (~10?), the repackaged and inclusive conditioned supply power BW2 pricing could not increased dramatically for reasons of perception, even tho the company dynamics and production target and schedule changed as well.  I think that the BW became an uphill struggle to be economically viable. 

Better that they introduce a new SS amp product, perhaps with balanced I/O topology, with no pricing preconceptions and recognizing their production limitations and niche.  

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #221 of 363
The whole idea of the amp was to get the ec house sound out to people who really couldn't afford those higher priced amps. Think I read they were only making 100 or a little more on each unit. Marv said he wanted to charge more but Craig wouldn't go for it. There were problems they encounter as well which pushed back the delivery date. I really don't think they'll do something like this again.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #223 of 363
Yes, the fortunate few that managed to acquire an EC BW 1 or 2 should count themselves lucky.
Although it can no longer be ordered, as I understand it, a BW will periodically come available for spot purchase until the batch of 100 amps is completed from existing parts and case inventory. Or something.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #224 of 363
The price breakdown on actual cost was listed in another thread on another site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back