Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jun 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #826 of 1,499
I'm not sure where to post this.
So I'm posting it here.
I got a BA from Craig about 3 months ago. My $$$$$ SS preamp has not been plugged in since.
The BA into my Rogue Zeus into Selah RC-4 (custom mid- tweeter variant) speakers is the most incredible sound I've ever heard. By far.
I've settled on Sophia 300Bs (although I thought that would NEVER be me!) driven by the flavor of the day.. EH, Raytheon 6sn7, CBS/Hytron 5692, Shuguang...... Craig (prefers the PX4 and) thinks I'm nuts, but I say:
IT's all about synergy, and engineering specs can't predict how pieces interact - and I'm a scientific kind of fellow. 

Headphones?
I'm running both HD800 w/custom make-up Double Helix 3 pins, and LCD-2 w/ALO RW8 which I reterminated to 4 pin, and I firmly believe the imaging and separation is noticeably improved. I was going to sell one pair of phones, but they both sound GREAT, but different - so it depends on my mood.
I'm a very lucky guy, and I know it.
The BA is absolutely awesome (your results may vary), Craig was incredible to deal with.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #827 of 1,499

Quote:
With the Woo WA22 I was referring to the headphone connection only.  There is an enormous difference between the balanced and SE inputs.  Balanced being far superior in every way.  The headphone connection made absolutely no difference.

I agree, with the WA22 it's a much bigger improvement when changing the source from single ended to balanced than from changing the headphone cable from single ended to balanced.  

Interestingly, there is a small difference in the balanced output, most easily heard if you listen to balanced headphones and then plug in anything into the 1/4" jack which makes the balanced jack change it's output to single ended mode.  You can do this test just by plugging in a 1/4" plug or cable with no headphone attached, while you have the balanced headphone playing music.

In direct comparisons over a couple of weeks I thought the WA22 prototype with a single ended source and single ended output sounded very similar to my WA6, except the WA22 was much more powerful.  With a balanced source the WA22 soundstage became much deeper and wider, and more 3D or holographic, while the WA6 in comparison flattened the soundstage and became a little more forward and narrower.  At the time I was using a Digital Link III with RCA and XLR outputs.

However, my Eddie Current ZDT with single ended input was every bit as good as the balanced WA22, and with many phones it was a bit better.  If the BA hadn't been so much more expensive I might have ordered one of those instead, but at least since I did the partial silver transformer upgrade a couple of weeks ago the ZDT has stepped up to another level of performance.  It's pretty much taken away all desire to upgrade to a better amp now.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #828 of 1,499

Quote:

However, my Eddie Current ZDT with single ended input was every bit as good as the balanced WA22, and with many phones it was a bit better.  If the BA hadn't been so much more expensive I might have ordered one of those instead, but at least since I did the partial silver transformer upgrade a couple of weeks ago the ZDT has stepped up to another level of performance.  It's pretty much taken away all desire to upgrade to a better amp now.

Yes I agree if you go balanced make sure your chain is all balanced.

And yes you don't really need a balanced amp as you have found out with your SE ZDT amp.
I am a little surprised you didn't go for a WA5LE instead of the ZDT, and at the time it was my understanding that the WA5/LE secondary huge transformers are silver, primary being copper.
But I guess at the time who knew about the HE-6's and how much power they need to really shine.

Jun 20, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #829 of 1,499
Yes I agree if you go balanced make sure your chain is all balanced.

And yes you don't really need a balanced amp as you have found out with your SE ZDT amp.
I am a little surprised you didn't go for a WA5LE instead of the ZDT, and at the time it was my understanding that the WA5/LE secondary huge transformers are silver, primary being copper.
But I guess at the time who knew about the HE-6's and how much power they need to really shine.

At the time I ordered my ZDT (March 2009) Blutarsky talked me into buying my own after he ordered one for himself. I'd listened to his original ZD and was impressed, but had never heard of the Balancing Act. I already had the WA6 and loved Woo amps, but the WA5 was not on my radar at the time. When I got to CanJam my ZDT wasn't ready, but I heard the BA there and enjoyed it. But the much higher cost and no speaker output was a deal breaker.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #830 of 1,499
just picked up a pair of sophia PX4s (ceramic base, gold pins). have not used a PX4 tube in my BA yet so very interested to hear it.

must remember to flip switch in back and change voltage.

Jul 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #831 of 1,499
listened to the PX4 tubes in the BA over the weekend. i was surprised and impressed by how much the PX4 changed the nature of the BA. with the 300B the sound of the BA is spacious, smooth and warm. by comparison, the PX4 makes the presentation more forward, upbeat and focused. both tubes have good resolution. too early to say which i prefer but i definitely like the sound of the PX4 and look forward to additional sessions.

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #832 of 1,499
What is the 6SN7's that you use with the Sophia PX4 (Craig prefer the KR PXr) , is it tungsol black glass round late triple or
mica or raytheon, EH, CBS hytron  4592 and shugang. which is the best to use with? 
I willl get by balancing act soon, I have planned the original WE 300B and one PX 4 and one aVVT 32.  I also ordered the new
Sophia royal princess but it is laidback and I already have the WE300B so he recommended me to change with the KR PX4 which I
did.  Now I am wonderring which 6SN7 to choolse .  What do you thinkg : WE 300B with Tungsol BGRP or Mullard ECC32 (I may also
try the Swedish Standard 33S30B) or Fivre 6SN7.   for the PX4, AVVT 32  I will go with the Tungsol BGRP or Mullard ECC32

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #833 of 1,499
I find that the tungsol bgrp with the px4 is dry and and leaning toward ss sounding. The driver really changes the sound of the px4. What type sound do you want? List the sound charectistocs you want, and we can help you find the tube that might get it acomplished.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #834 of 1,499

Quote:
What is the 6SN7's that you use with the Sophia PX4 (Craig prefer the KR PXr) , is it tungsol black glass round late triple or
mica or raytheon, EH, CBS hytron  4592 and shugang. which is the best to use with? 

Just pick up a bunch and try them out. It's part of the fun.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #835 of 1,499
I find that the tungsol bgrp with the px4 is dry and and leaning toward ss sounding. The driver really changes the sound of the px4. What type sound do you want? List the sound charectistocs you want, and we can help you find the tube that might get it acomplished 

I like the warmer , sweet midrange, extended high but not overbright, deep dynamic bass with some detail

and I also would like to know that if I use the original WE 300B , whith 6SN7 should I try first
this one I would like to be like the tube sound for laid back music

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #836 of 1,499
I am using the mullard ecc35. It has tight, deep articulate bass. Rich mids that have great detail, and nice smooth highs. It is my favorite at this moment.

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #837 of 1,499
I also like the ECC35 and TS 6SU7GTY with the BA.
But there are more 6SL7 options worth trying.

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #838 of 1,499
I am using the mullard ecc35. It has tight, deep articulate bass. Rich mids that have great detail, and nice smooth highs. It is my favorite at this moment 
I also like the ECC35 and TS 6SU7GTY with the BA.
But there are more 6SL7 options worth trying 

Can we just plugin to the 6SN7 , do we need adapter or adjustment with the circuit?
is it true for every 6SL7's   like Fiver 6SL7.   Will it do damage to the tube or the amplifier.
What are those 6SL7's options,  please also inform me

Jul 16, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #839 of 1,499
The ba will let you use them. We have checked with craig. He said it is fine because the plate voltage is less than 300v. You can use 6sn7, ecc32,ecc35, 6sl7/6su7. I am not sure on the ecc33 and 34. i think rosgr knows. There is a lot of ways to teak the sound between having the 300b and px4 option and all the different drivers. The most flexible amp I have seen. You can customize the sound anyway you want.

Jul 16, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #840 of 1,499

Quote:
I find that the tungsol bgrp with the px4 is dry and and leaning toward ss sounding. The driver really changes the sound of the px4. What type sound do you want? List the sound charectistocs you want, and we can help you find the tube that might get it acomplished 

I like the warmer , sweet midrange, extended high but not overbright, deep dynamic bass with some detail

and I also would like to know that if I use the original WE 300B , whith 6SN7 should I try first
this one I would like to be like the tube sound for laid back music

I'm running the RCA grey glass 6SN7 / VT-231 with the black plates. Nice deep and strong bass, warmish, rich midrange with smooth but extended highs. These are a bit more articulate than the 5692 red base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back