Eddie Current Balancing Act
Oct 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #676 of 1,499
Good for you blubliss
smily_headphones1.gif
I made that realization at some point. Not as handy as you, but unwilling to spend more than blue jeans cabling for cables anymore
smily_headphones1.gif

Would love to hear your BA with your tube combo. Ah the distance that separates the south and north ;p

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #678 of 1,499
i'm okay with spending a few hundred on a cable. if from a well-known (and popular) brand, the resale value stands. kimber, nordost, audio quest, cardas all sell fairly well and quickly at prices near their purchase price - assumes purchased used.

as for the HD800/BA (300B tubes), i think it sounds better on the HR Balanced Home (maxxed). on the other hand, the BA is preferred when using the LCD-2.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #679 of 1,499
I want to go down more blubliss. If my best friend moves down to San Diego I anticipate going down south a lot more
smily_headphones1.gif
Reach out to foo_me though he makes frequent trips down south for both work and family and has the same unit. I think he's there now.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #680 of 1,499
the RS1 (balanced) on the BA is also up there with the best i have ever heard it. very solid amp but i am not convinced yet about its use with the HD800.

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #681 of 1,499

Quote:
the RS1 (balanced) on the BA is also up there with the best i have ever heard it. very solid amp but i am not convinced yet about its use with the HD800.

Since I got my BA,,,I sold my K 1000/HD 800/PS 1000...(all balanced).I like the LCD 2 with a balanced Blue dragon cable. I am looking in the F/S forum for a balanced set of Beyerdynamic Tesla T1. Anyone heard this combo? Thats interesting you like the RS-1 balanced with the BA. because in the back of my mind that's a combination I was thinking of re-visiting.

Oct 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #682 of 1,499
Quote:

What tubes are you using for the RS1?

Oct 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #683 of 1,499
you must give them a try. sounds really good. the RS1s are pretty inexpensive when compared to the new headphones. mine aren't fancy. just balanced stock cable. truly excellent sound from the BA. i will also add that when i changed ICs from copper (kimber hero) to silver (dh labs revelation), the sound of the BA improved across the board, although my source is considered somewhat warm/laid back. but still i would experiment with different ICs. as for the T1, i don't know. i am starting to think that the BA (at least with 300B tubes) excels with low impedance phones.

Quote:
Since I got my BA,,,I sold my K 1000/HD 800/PS 1000...(all balanced).I like the LCD 2 with a balanced Blue dragon cable. I am looking in the F/S forum for a balanced set of Beyerdynamic Tesla T1. Anyone heard this combo? Thats interesting you like the RS-1 balanced with the BA. because in the back of my mind that's a combination I was thinking of re-visiting.

i am using 300B tubes (stock). yet to try PX4, although i am sure i will at some point.

Quote:
Quote:

What tubes are you using for the RS1?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #685 of 1,499
This weekend I went to visit a friend (audiogalore from head-fi) over at his place. I heard his K1000 out of my Balancing Act (PX4 tube configuration). I really liked what I was hearing. I compared it immediately with the HD800 balanced, and though it usually takes me a couple of back/forth to pinpoint the differences, it was so blaringly obvious that there was no contest. The K1000 not only sounded more open (which was expected), but in the particular track we were auditioning, I don't know how to describe it... the sound was much more organic. There was this real guttural je-ne-sais quois to the horns' notes. I never post impressions on gear because I suck, frankly, but I was really impressed with the K1000 this time around (I've listened to it at meets, but be it the ambience or whatever, I was never really wowed by them). It was as if you could hear the notes bouncing off inside the horn and then bursting out, whereas with the HD800, they were just kinda there, with some of the frequencies even slightly melding into the rest of the music.

I must get a K1000.

From what I have read, some people say the BA doesn't match well with the K1000. The only thing I'd have to say is that the volume had to be between the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock position to be at a sweet spot, so unless you like blasting your eardrums, I don't consider this a problem as there is still plenty of overhead remaining. In short, I liked what I heard. A lot.

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #686 of 1,499
1117 Balancing Act rocks..............I really must say that the Balancing Act drove my K1000 with great sound signature and authority. Instruments opposed to the vocals were placed and positioned with accuracy and only wanted to clear up anyone that felt or has said the the Balancing Act was not a match with the K1000 better make sure to thoroughly check all components in there system/setup first.

Great synergy,

Enjoy music!

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #687 of 1,499
What driver  tube were you guys using for your test?

side note..
My Meridian 808.2i and my KR PX4 Balancing Act could not drive my K 1000 (balanced bass heavy after market cable) to the levels you guys are talking about,,,maybe if I turned the volume "all" the way up and moved the speakers right up tight to my ears.

Quote:
1117 Balancing Act rocks..............I really must say that the Balancing Act drove my K1000 with great sound signature and authority. Instruments opposed to the vocals were placed and positioned with accuracy and only wanted to clear up anyone that felt or has said the the Balancing Act was not a match with the K1000 better make sure to thoroughly check all components in there system/setup first.

Great synergy,

Enjoy music!

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #689 of 1,499
I have a PX4 BA and also felt the BA wasn't adequate driving the K1000s.  I had posted my K1000s for sale but decided to keep them since a bunch of offers fell through.  I'll give the combo another go when I get my new DAC (LIO-8).

Oct 18, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #690 of 1,499

Quote:
I have a PX4 BA and also felt the BA wasn't adequate driving the K1000s.  I had posted my K1000s for sale but decided to keep them since a bunch of offers fell through.  I'll give the combo another go when I get my new DAC (LIO-8).

That is just the point there other components in the chain that complete the loop. Source is probably more important than the amp unfortunately we HeadFi are always caught up on the latest amp and not looking at the bigger picture "SOURCE"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back