Eddie Current Balancing Act
May 2, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,277 of 1,499
  Yeah, a lot people don't realize that the BA can be ordered to work with the 2A3/45 which IMO is superior to the 300B version. The 4-45 has some significant differences: power supply, interstage transformers, and a trick output transformer custom designed / made by Cinemag. The 4-45 OPT has more interleaving between the primary and secondary compared to the old BA OPTs; and also has a tertiary winding which is used for a tiny amount of feedback, -3db to be exact, and the feedback loop has no caps. Distortion is supposedly low and the OPT is more forgiving of low Z (from speakers to headphones) because of the extra winding, but I haven't had to chance to measure anything yet. I suspect the doubling up the tubes really helps with current / power output and prevents the 45s from sounding lean which they sometimes can. The 4-45 is on the bassy side IMO, or at least it certainly doesn't lack slam. The downside to the 45 tube of course is lack of selection. The Chinese Sophia pseudo-mesh 45s are horribad.

The other EC model with the same topology but using 2A3 and other transformers is the 2A3mk4. The mk4 was some similarities in sound to the famous Levi in that it uses 2A3, but it's a notch below in sound quality because the OPTs are not as nice as the ones in the 4-45. The 2A3 tube is a bit more colored, but in a very nice way. The 45 IMO plays it more straight up.

6C45Pi was chosen for gain because the 4-45 was also intended to drive speakers. Originally the 5842 was selected for good availability and good sound quality. A lot of remaining obtainable 6SN7s aren't all that great or if they are good, rather insanely priced. The current production 6C45P Sovteks suck, but the older Reflekors are rather nice. I prefer the 6C45 for the Abyss headphones and the 5842 for the HD800. 

300B isn't a great choice for any headphone amp. Similar to the 845 and 211 the driver requirements are just too much for it to be worth while. A DHT driver tube (ie 10y/801a) is what it really needs, which makes the amp and power supply even bigger and more complex. A lot of the bad reputation of the 300B is using insufficient small signal drivers. 45s are easy to drive and of course sound amazing. 45, 300B, 845, 211 can all have very linear operating points given their curve tracings, it's just harder to do with some of them. It's why so many tube speaker amps using the 300B, 845, 211 are described sounding tubey, slow, lacking bass, etc but the 45 is almost never spoken bad of.

May 2, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #1,278 of 1,499
^ I don't notice any lack of sound quality coming from my ECBA with EML 300b mesh plate tubes and a good Tung Sol 6SN7 driver ---> HD 800 balanced.  It does take 40+ minutes for my rig to warm up to optimal sound quality.  Sometimes I'm just blown-away at how good it sounds.  Of course I don't yet have another amp for comparison, so I'm looking forward to the 4-45 and more aural bliss . . .
tongue.gif

May 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,279 of 1,499
I would be happy if Craig make an amp with 845 or 211 tubes that can drive speaker or Jecklin Float QA.
I ordered an 445, I'm waiting with my Woo WA5 that are sublime.

May 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #1,280 of 1,499
I was part of the first run of 4-45s. My amp, #3, was delivered yesterday.

Just a note for future 4-45 owners. When you power on the amp, you will hear a truly terrifying noise that sounds like aliens boring into your brain. When I first heard this I was unprepared, and it scared the sh!t out of me. I immediately powered down the amp and contacted Craig who assured me this sound---what he innocently calls "the Star Trek noise"---is 100% normal for this amp. It lasts for about 10 seconds before going away. If you find yourself turning on a 4-45, you too will likely hear this Borg-sticking-dental-equipment-into-your-ears sound. Be prepared.

The 4-45 is not a "god amp" (as a certain forum says) but rather a "demon amp" that will strike fear into any other amp in the vicinity with its mighty roar before devouring its soul. When the beast's thirst for audiophile blood is quenched, the noise subsides leaving you with a background as quiet as a tomb.

May 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,281 of 1,499
******* hell you receive it ! Did you test it with the HD 800 ? It's not too bright ?

May 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #1,282 of 1,499
  ******* hell you receive it ! Did you test it with the HD 800 ? It's not too bright ?

So far as I can tell, the amp is only as bright as the stock HD800 is. I don't hear any tonal irregularities added by the amp itself. Yes, this amp seems to be one of the few out there that can actually get the most from the HD800.

May 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,283 of 1,499
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you will hear a truly terrifying noise that sounds like aliens boring into your brain . . . this Borg-sticking-dental-equipment-into-your-ears . . .

I just hate it when that happens . . . lol . . .

Let us know how it sounds when everything settles in . . .

May 2, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #1,284 of 1,499
Marv,

Can you compare the 445 with the Dynahi for some harder to drive cans (orthos particularly). Much as I love my BA and it with the Lampizator really is head and shoulders better than anything else I've heard with the HD800. However, the Dynahi just does well with everything reducing the BA to a bit of a one trick HD800 pony. Even the AD2000 I prefer with the Zana Deux. Does the 445 effectively replace the need for two amps like the D-Hi and BA?

May 2, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,286 of 1,499
It will be several months until the second batch is starting to build, Craig told me the new 445 will be using the BA chassis and is delayed for couple of months. 

May 2, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,287 of 1,499
It will be several months until the second batch is starting to build, Craig told me the new 445 will be using the BA chassis and is delayed for couple of months. 

Ok. That is too bad but good to know. Pricing staying the same or is that changing too?

May 2, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #1,288 of 1,499
do not know about the pricing and other stuff. 

May 3, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,289 of 1,499

Well, I find it a very good news that the BA Chassis will be used. I find it much more sophisticated looking. I prefer it a lot with the inclined front...  just a matter of taste.

may be the new 4-45 will look something like this .... 
biggrin.gif

BUT, I still wonder if the 4-45 is really a step up to the BA ?  

Indeed, for example, the BA is FULLY BALANCED, in and out, while the 4-45 has balanced outputs, but only RCA inputs !  

is this a drawback or it does not make any SQ difference ?

So I wonder if the 4-45 is just a more powerful BA that is useful only with very hard to drive headphones or... does the 4-45 sound better than the BA with ALL headphones ?

May 3, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #1,290 of 1,499
It probably depends on what headphones you are using.  I have compared my 2A3mk4 (same topology as 445 but with 2A3s)  with a BA and I prefer the 2A3mk4 in almost every respect.  Ortho's sound closed in on the BA compared with the 2A3mk4.  You may trade off some noise issues with highly sensitive headphones due to the much larger output transformers.  This is likely to be system and placement dependent though.

The 445 OPT's are a slightly different design which uses a tertiary winding so I can't say from experience if the 445 will be as sensitive to external power fields as the 2A3mk4 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back