Eddie Current Balancing Act
Dec 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #1,186 of 1,499
So 2A3x4 is the same as the 2A3 mkIV? I thought it had 4 output tubes and a new power supply?
L3000.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,188 of 1,499
I`ve also read it`s a different beast than BA, but it costs only $ 50 more?

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,189 of 1,499
As with all EC amps, that is a first run price.  It will go up in the future if the run is successful and people like it.  (Just like the BA did.)  Add cost of 4 good 2A3's as well.  With the added power, the 2A3X4 may have more grunt/dynamics but other elements of the presentation are unknown, it may not live up to the BA "magic" that so many have come to love.  So different beast, but not necessarily better across the board, there may be tradeoffs.

I know Craig is very proud of his newest crop of amps, but the BA has achieved a legendary status that will have him selling them for a while.  (Same thing with the ZD.)

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #1,190 of 1,499

I got the impression the px4 was the best tube before, but now? I see it still says on the EC page that there are 300B/px4 version, but here people say you now must decide on the version, 300B OR px4? The bass was also earlier the caveat for some, so now the BA has gotten it right?
bigsmile_face.gif

Outside of the non-standard tubes, I still feel the KR PX4 (the Sophia PX4 is crap) is the best (it depends upon your preferences), but KR raised their PX4 price to something really stupid, the build quality was poor (little bits would break off inside the tube), and the availability was piss poor (they seem to be lazy making these things and supposedly the KR factory closes in the summer because of lack of A/C).

Craig tried the 300B Mesh and liked it enough to offer that with the BA. Personally I prefer the 300B Solid Plate with the newer Cinemag OPTs (tighter less tubey sound). I don't even know if Craig will get KR PX4s for anyone anymore.

As far as the new stuff, I have not heard 445, 2A3mk2, 2A3mk4, or Leviathan. I have only seen measurements of the production parts (the transformers.) I have only heard a development unit for the 445 which has different interstage and output transformers than the production.

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,191 of 1,499

Outside of the non-standard tubes, I still feel the KR PX4 (the Sophia PX4 is crap) is the best (it depends upon your preferences), but KR raised their PX4 price to something really stupid, the build quality was poor (little bits would break off inside the tube), and the availability was piss poor (they seem to be lazy making these things and supposedly the KR factory closes in the summer because of lack of A/C).

Craig tried the 300B Mesh and liked it enough to offer that with the BA. Personally I prefer the 300B Solid Plate with the newer Cinemag OPTs (tighter less tubey sound). I don't even know if Craig will get KR PX4s for anyone anymore.

As far as the new stuff, I have not heard 445, 2A3mk2, 2A3mk4, or Leviathan. I have only seen measurements of the production parts (the transformers.) I have only heard a development unit for the 445 which has different interstage and output transformers than the production.

Thank you for answering
bigsmile_face.gif
How would you compare the BA to the new 445 and the 2A3x4? I have the HD800 and the LCD-X, but I like the LCD-X best so it`ll detinitely be used the most
regular_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #1,192 of 1,499
:confused: In your quote of purrin, he wrote "I have not heard" the 445 or 2A3x4. So I guess he can't compare them. Unless you're asking how he would set about comparing them if he had them?

Thank you for answering :bigsmile_face: How would you compare the BA to the new 445 and the 2A3x4? I have the HD800 and the LCD-X, but I like the LCD-X best so it`ll detinitely be used the most
regular_smile%20.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #1,193 of 1,499
confused.gif
In your quote of purrin, he wrote "I have not heard" the 445 or 2A3x4. So I guess he can't compare them. Unless you're asking how he would set about comparing them if he had them?

I thought about the development unit and I thought I`d read that he`s heard them
regular_smile .gif
My mistake
regular_smile .gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #1,195 of 1,499
I see
regular_smile .gif
Anyone know where I can read some impressions of the new 2A3x4 and the 445 then?
smile.gif

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,196 of 1,499
I understand that the BA is positioned as the top of the line in ED family, but the 2A3 Has the advantage of offering also HP output. And booth are sold at similar price !

So, does the versatility of the 2A3 is at the price of a lower SQ quality than the BA ? Does the BA really sound better than the 2A3 .. with Cam like TH900 ( mine are recabled balanced) .

Thanks

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #1,197 of 1,499
The EC lineup is a bit crowded right now and I would expect some paring down in the future to fewer models. Rather than think of which one is "better" than the other, I would pick an amp based on intended use and tube preference among 300B, 2A3, and 45. For example, I wanted a speaker amp. I chose the 445 because I liked the sound of the 45 tube, especially doubled up in parallel (retains the 45's sound without the limp bass often associated with the 45 tube.)

1. The units with the interstage cap will likely sound better (faster, more detailed, less "constipated").
  2. In theory, the BA transformer, since it's smaller, may possibly be more optimal for moderate to high efficiency headphones. Does this mean the the BA will sound better than the x4 amps with the interstage caps? I can't say since I haven't directly compared them. The only thing I can say is that the 445 development unit was most definitely better than the OLD BA in driving the HD800, Abyss, and HE500.
  3. 6D22S in the most of the amps. This is a significant upgrade over the older rectifier tubes of the old 2A3 (more slam, better control in the bass)
  4. Everything now has the high-frequency filament heaters.
  5. Get the paralleled tube x4 amps for harder to drive orthos which like current.

4 x 45 tubes
Interstage transformer
Speaker output 3W into 8 ohms
2 x 6D22S rectifier tubes
High frequency filament heaters

2A3x4
4 x 2A3 tubes
Interstage transformer
Speaker output 6W into 8 ohms

2A3x2
2 x 2A3 tubes
Interstage cap???
Speaker output 3W into 8 ohms

BA
2 x 300B tubes
Interstage cap
No speaker output
2 x 6X4 rectifier tubes

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #1,199 of 1,499
  Anyone notice a SQ drop when connecting more than 1 headphone?  Maybe it's in my head

I noticed a drop in SQ when listening with a friend (LCD-3 & HD800). There's only so much ECBA greatness to go around I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back