Eddie Current Balancing Act
Oct 28, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #1,172 of 1,499
  Yes, new transformers from Cinemag. I'm going to try to get my hands on one for the San Diego meet. Supposedly it sounds better.

Will have to venture into that impressions thread.  

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #1,173 of 1,499
Has anyone re-tensioned their socket pins?  My amp has the Yamamoto UX4-B4 sockets and one socket is too loose to maintain good contact with my 300b.  I tried using a heavy needle to tighten the grip.  It worked for around a week.  I spoke with EC who told me the Yamamoto's need to be tensioned differently and sent me to the jacmusic site. 

http://www.jacmusic.com/sockets/Socket-Yamamoto.htm

Close to the top of the page it shows the socket pin with an apparent adjustment screw on the split portion.  It looks to me like the pin must be removed to make the adjustment.  Since the pins are soldered to the internal wiring, removing the pin seems it would be no easy task. 

Has anyone re- tensioned their Yamamoto socket?

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #1,174 of 1,499
What headphones do you prefer with the ECBA?

I am currently using LCD2.1's with LCD3 pads and a Toxic Silver Widow cable.  I like the sound but do find the lower mids to be a little thick and soundstage a bit narrow (Royal Princess 300b's and TS mouse ear 6SN7).  I am considering the move up to the LCD3's but am afraid of losing too much bass. 

Is there another headphone that works particularly well with the ECBA?  I have a low frequency loss so I need something with good bass.  I also prefer very clean, smooth mids with no grain or glare in the upper mids.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,175 of 1,499

NO.77 Glad to join these club.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,176 of 1,499

I am currently using LCD2.1's with LCD3 pads and a Toxic Silver Widow cable.  I like the sound but do find the lower mids to be a little thick and soundstage a bit narrow (Royal Princess 300b's and TS mouse ear 6SN7).  I am considering the move up to the LCD3's but am afraid of losing too much bass. 

Is there another headphone that works particularly well with the ECBA?  I have a low frequency loss so I need something with good bass.  I also prefer very clean, smooth mids with no grain or glare in the upper mids.

I know that  casques-headphone.com  tested and liked a lot the AEBA with the FostexTH900.

Nov 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,177 of 1,499

You can try EML mesh plates. LCD2.2 may be an option. Less thick and less closed in compared to LCD2.1

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,179 of 1,499
No, this one is still with the old transformers.

When I ordered the amp, Craig didn't tell me that he would change the transformers.

He just told me the BA would no longer switch two types of the tube. It means if you order 300B version, you will only use 300B tube, can't switch to PX4.

He doesn't provide KR PX4 tube anymore, if you order the PX4 version, you may find the tube on your own.

Even he told me he would change the transformers, I still prefer the old version, because I like tube rolls especially using PX4 tubes.

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,180 of 1,499
Has anyone tried the new version (cinemag transformers) on the LCD-Xs? And if so, can anyone compare the impressions to other headamps?

Ragards,

Dec 28, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #1,181 of 1,499
It's not a huge change. The BA still has that hint of organic sound. The main differences were more clarity, better microdetail, and a better integration of the bass with the rest of the spectrum. With the older Electraprint PSSS, the bass and lower mids felt a tad out of place, a bit slower almost, compared to the mids and treble. Also the treble has less etch (I've always felt the BA Electraprint PSSS had a slight etch with certain tube combos.) 

For example, the EML 300B solid plates with the prior BA sounded bloomy with the slightest treble etch. With the new cinemag OPTS, the EML 300B solid plates are pretty much perfect sounding for a 300B. The slight treble etch and upper bass thickness is gone, but the warmth of organic nature of the BA is still there.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,182 of 1,499
  It's not a huge change. The BA still has that hint of organic sound. The main differences were more clarity, better microdetail, and a better integration of the bass with the rest of the spectrum. With the older Electraprint PSSS, the bass and lower mids felt a tad out of place, a bit slower almost, compared to the mids and treble. Also the treble has less etch (I've always felt the BA Electraprint PSSS had a slight etch with certain tube combos.) 

For example, the EML 300B solid plates with the prior BA sounded bloomy with the slightest treble etch. With the new cinemag OPTS, the EML 300B solid plates are pretty much perfect sounding for a 300B. The slight treble etch and upper bass thickness is gone, but the warmth of organic nature of the BA is still there.

I got the impression the px4 was the best tube before, but now? I see it still says on the EC page that there are 300B/px4 version, but here people say you now must decide on the version, 300B OR px4? The bass was also earlier the caveat for some, so now the BA has gotten it right?
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #1,183 of 1,499
Well, I should ask Craig if I can upgrade the transformers when my BA was building.(still remain switch tubes function)

Before I ordered the BA, I asked Craig that which tube he uses as the reference tube for BA. His answer is EML 300B Mesh. Maybe he was already planning for providing only one tube version BA.

Dec 28, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #1,184 of 1,499
Purrin: What amps are ECs newest and what`s coming? The homepage isn`t saying anything about the new 445 or anything. Where can I find more information? :)

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #1,185 of 1,499

I got the impression the px4 was the best tube before, but now? I see it still says on the EC page that there are 300B/px4 version, but here people say you now must decide on the version, 300B OR px4? The bass was also earlier the caveat for some, so now the BA has gotten it right?
bigsmile_face.gif

Craig eliminated the switch on the back recently, now the choice is 300B or PX4.  Should be the same deal with 2A3/45.  Maybe he can still build with a switch on request.

Purrin: What amps are ECs newest and what`s coming? The homepage isn`t saying anything about the new 445 or anything. Where can I find more information? :)

New amps are:

2A3X4
Leviathan

The 2A3X4 is on his site as an option on the 2A3 page.  There are a few pictures floating around, newest one is in Tyll's headphone guide, I'll have to dig that up.  445's first run is sold out I believe so you'd have to go second run.  Craig is not the point of contact for Levi and I'm pretty sure the run is closed, but if you google Eddie Current Leviathan there may be people who have more up-to-date info. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back