ED9 vs ALO780J vs Pro900
Feb 18, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

vvanrij

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok I'v had alot of people asking me to compare these. I waited for my Phonitor to be properly burned in and me getting used to the sound before I wanted to write this review, so here goes. I'm not gonna post all kinds of pictures, just google em haha.

First up ED9 vs ALO780J.

I borrowed a ED9 from a friend of mine living up north who was kind enough to let me borrow them for some extensive time. I bought the ALO780J second-handed from a headfi-er, it was already properly burned-in, but offcourse I put some more hours on it.

I don't like to write huge reviews, but more straight to the point. For me it was as simple as this:

-They sounded identical in a way that I couldn't even tell what the difference was between the two. I do know that one sounded better on that music and the other better on that music, however not in a way that I could say that one is better than the other. So for the sound they just scored equal to me. Sure people won't agree with me on this (Larry heard an exact percentage of 5% difference), this is all on my ears tested on a SPL Phonitor with a NAD C542 -> Vecteur C2. Its all in my sig.

So which did I prefer, well the ED9 thats for sure, why? The cable of the ALO780J is really stiff and annoying, and the pads of the ED9 are also softer. Would I buy one for the price they are going for now, no. And how about the ALO780J? Well if you check out the FS forum on head-fi, these babies are going for prices they are definetly worth. These headphones must be your taste, but if they are they are magic. How do they sound? Well thats been described lots of times already before.

So now, Pro 900 vs ED9/ALO780J

Also gonna keep it short. The Pro900 at first was a pretty accurate headphone, but the bass was a bit muddy, the midrange didn't get the chance to shine because it was overruled by the bass, and the highs could definetly sound a bit plasticy . With the kees mod (and as you can read in my Pro900/modded review), these bad things are as good as gone. They are really balanced, the bass is tight, extends deep, but gives you that feeling that it should. The midrange, though not as magical as some grado's can be, are just right, and sound like they should, and the highs extend well and are not plasticy anymore at all. I can listen to these headphones forever, no fatigue whatsoever. The soundstage is accurate, but not huge, I would say medium-big. A clean sound with a tad of warmth, but overall balanced is what I would use as my 'main term' to describe them (I'm not good at describing sounds
tongue.gif
).

The ED9/ALO780J are a more 'exciting' headphone. When tried them (especially the ED9) on my Corda 3Move, the bass was well overwhelming, when I tried them on my phonitor the bass became much tighter and better. They are still on the 'exciting' side, but not overwhelming anymore. Imo the bass and treble are slightly boosted, but without really sacrificing the mids. I couldn't listen to exciting music on these cans for a long time, because they would just become fatiguing, but when I want to be 'wow'd' by a headphone, the ED9/ALO780J are my weapon of choice. Especially for music you just really want to get into (think dance music / rock / hip-hop) these are my choice. The Pro900 don't do anything wrong, I can't say that for the ED9's/ALO780J, who I find for some music just plain wrong.

So well, with these descriptions you should actually be able to 'compare them' for yourselves.

The whole s-logic/s-logic plus blabla is just a term for me and nothing more. Do I hear it or not, I have no idea. They both have a decent soundstage, the 900's is slightly larger then the ED9/ALO780J's, but not really significant. I don't hear like a '3d surround sound', and I don't think that can be expected from these headphones either. But I think it is important that this S-logic is not a dis-advantage!!. I can't say if I see it as a pro or not, but its definetly not a con to me.

If you have questions let me know, so I can ammend this little write-up.

Cheers!

-Victor

Update: I later thought that maybe the Phonitor's crossfeed/speakerangle could conflict the s-logic somehow. I just can't stand hard-panning so I'm never gonna turn it off lol, thank god for the Phonitor.

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 16
Nicely written, simple and clear. Thanks.

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 16
Yep...The Ultrasone are very 'exciting' headphones.
On the Phonitor, did you find any differences between the ED9 and the ALO780J's on the low mid and the super highs??

About the S-Logic, well on the ED/HFI series it's sound more natural. On the PRO series it's more extended and easy to point it out.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 16
Kee mod seem to have an effect on S-logic as well making them a bit more forward and with a bit smaller soundstage for the different instruments to work in but it still works for my ears. but as Acix say it´s not as easy to point it out as on unmodded PRO 900 or Proline 750s
smily_headphones1.gif

Really nice review. As for fatigue well I have the problem I just can´t go to bed if I ever put my 900 on to listen to music lol... Earlier you could get fatigue about some hours which made that a lot easier.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep...The Ultrasone are very 'exciting' headphones.
On the Phonitor, did you find any differences between the ED9 and the ALO780J's on the low mid and the super highs??

I wrote this in the review

About the S-Logic, well on the ED/HFI series it's sound more natural. On the PRO series it's more extended and easy to point it out.

I wrote how it sounds to my ears, I hear no difference. Sure there is a difference in soundstage, but I have no idea if that is the s-logic or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kee mod seem to have an effect on S-logic as well making them a bit more forward and with a bit smaller soundstage for the different instruments to work in but it still works for my ears. but as Acix say it´s not as easy to point it out as on unmodded PRO 900 or Proline 750s
smily_headphones1.gif

For me there is nothing to point out, I just here a soundstage like everyother headphone. I don't know how they create it (like other headphones, or this s-logic), but it sounds good.

Really nice review. As for fatigue well I have the problem I just can´t go to bed if I ever put my 900 on to listen to music lol... Earlier you could get fatigue about some hours which made that a lot easier.

Would also depend on the music I guess, but to me they are so comfortable and easy sounding that I could definetly fall asleep when listening to the right music.

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 16
Victor, just a quick question. Did you try to open and see the ALO 780s just to check what sort of modification they have done a part from recabling. Can you do that? Cheers..

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 16
Nope I will not do that. Cheers!

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 16
Nice right up! I've been wrestling with the idea of getting a 780; however, I cannot audition, this write-up has made me want to try the modded 780 even more.
frown.gif
How does the 780 compare to the HD 650 or Darth Beyer?

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 16
I'v never heard the Darth Beyer, and the HD650 isn't to my taste at all. I would say they are very opposite, the HD650 is very laid back, a tad veiled and dark sounding, where the ED9 is more in your face and gives you a fresh presentation.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #13 of 16
I just got the ALO-780J's and i love them so far...i only have like 3hrs on them so i cant write a full review yet

But from first impressions they are definitely some amazing cans. The bass is amazing just right it is there andi can feel it but it is not muddy. The mids are there the highs arent shrill or sibilant and there is enough detail to be enjoyable. I am really liking these cans so far and i am glad i am not the only one

Does anyone know how they will change with a better amp??

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm sitting here listening to my Pro 900's unmodded and just barely over 300 hrs of burn-in. I'm listening to the Titanic soundtrack and the clanks on the metal pipes and drums sound like I'm right there. Especially the ships bells. I find them better in the mids than my Denon AHD5k's but the bass is almost identical, with the favor going to the Ultrasones for a bit more control in the lows. I have some Denon 7k's on order at J&R so we'll have to see about the bass after some good burn in. I've been offered a set of ED9's at a great price so this great review is making me think thrice. As a side note I'm running straight CD from a Sony 400 DVD/CD/SCD changer through a Head-Direct EF-1 hybrid

Feb 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 16
Great I look very much forward to your D7000 impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back