ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond
Nov 7, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #241 of 286
A couple of new ECP amps were at the LA-area meet this weekend. The DSST-1 (red) and the DSHA-3. Both sound great.

The DSST-1 came home with me and is now in my office rig.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #243 of 286
Hello,

True that there is no info about ECP products.
Is it DIY only ?
Or maybe orders through the Contact site page?

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #244 of 286
  Hello,

True that there is no info about ECP products.
Is it DIY only ?
Or maybe orders through the Contact site page?

The website will be updated soon according to Doug but it will be worth the wait.  Doug's amps are just way ahead of the curve.  The DSHA-2 should be his entry level amp but it is about even par if not slightly better than the GS-X MKII IMO.  

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #245 of 286
I thought that you guys might be interested in seeing a couple of photo's (courtesy of Doug) of my soon to be completed Ravenswood or DSHA4.

The oil finish really brings out the walnut colour and patina.

Very excited to be acquiring my third ECP Audio headphone amplifier, as to my ears they sound superb and are truly SOTA. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 13, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #246 of 286
Thanks!  Just wow!  I'm waiting to check out the DSHA-3 myself.

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #247 of 286
Thanks for the pictures.

Wow, doing better than the GSX-mk2. ECP has enthusiastic fans.
Would like to know more about the inside. What particularity can explain this supremacy onto other SS.

Have those devices a CE agreement ?

Claude

Nov 13, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #248 of 286
I have internal photo's of my Ravenswood but won't post them on a public forum without Doug's permission, as I don't know how much of the amplifiers design is proprietary. I've imported two ECP Audio headphone amplifiers into the UK without any issues whatsoever.   

P.S. Emailed Doug enquiring whether he's OK with internal Ravenswood photo's being posted here. 

Quote:
  Thanks for the pictures.

Wow, doing better than the GSX-mk2. ECP has enthusiastic fans.
Would like to know more about the inside. What particularity can explain this supremacy onto other SS.

Have those devices a CE agreement ?

Claude

Nov 13, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #250 of 286
Here is a quick rundown of what is upcoming ...

DSHA2 is a small, direct coupled, transformer gain amplifier for use with balanced headphones.

DSHA3 is kind of the default amp, meaning that if you ask me which one I recommend, this is usually the answer. It uses transformers for gain, and it is very clean, very quiet, and just works well. Gain is low, but it has the power to push pretty much any headphone.

DSST1 (which stands for Differential Solid State Triode) looks the same as the DSHA3 from the outside. It uses a circuit that emulates triodes (tubes) with transistors. It has a bit of a bloomier midrange, can have higher gain, and is easier to drive at the cost of a little more background noise.

Copenhagen-S also looks the same and has a punchier bouncier happier more midrangey sound. It is the "Solid State Pentode" amp making it kind of a current source/transconductance amp. (Copenhagen-V, the tube version, is on hiatus.)

L3 has tubes in it and costs a little more. Pics to come in about 2 weeks.

The Ravenswood (DSHA4) is basically a DSHA3 with an additional driver stage, microprocessor controlled gain and input, and is big and powerful and over the top.

Nov 19, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #254 of 286
Hello,

I haven't understood what topology makes the DSHA-4 so particular among SS amps.
There are output transformers like with tubes ?

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #255 of 286
Doug emailed me the info and photo below a while back and is OK with me posting it here -

"Here's a quick interior shot. The output stage is mounted between the heatsinks. The input stage is in the upper right (you can see the LL1676 input transformer, but the LL7903 interstages are buried under the relay boards.) The output transformers are the big LL2754's on the right".

- is this a photo of my partly completed Ravenswood but may give some insight into the amplifiers topology. 
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
  Hello,

I haven't understood what topology makes the DSHA-4 so particular among SS amps.
There are output transformers like with tubes ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back