ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond
Sep 5, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #227 of 286

Grab the Focal Utopia and pocket the change. I've been using mine with my Ravenswood. It is quite simply the best dynamic headphone out there right now.

I have been thinking about that headphone since chi uni fi and my Lcd-X is on its way out for something new. Have you heard the r10? How's the bass on the Utopia with the Ravenswood? 

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #228 of 286

I know for a post on the other forum that you've heard the port modded 007 and Carbon CC...how does it compare with Utopia/Ravenswood/Pass XP-10?

I still think stats sound better than dynamics, but they come with a host of other issues that dynamics simply don't have. If all you care about is sound, then probably stick with Stax. However, the Utopia gets darn close.

I have been thinking about that headphone since chi uni fi and my Lcd-X is on its way out for something new. Have you heard the r10? How's the bass on the Utopia with the Ravenswood? 

Yes, I have heard the R10, but it was a long time ago. People really don't bring it out to meets much any more and the pairs that are out there get older every year.

The Utopia bass on Ravenswood is pretty impressive. Hopefully the Utopia will start showing up at meets so people can get ears-on.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #230 of 286

Can you elaborate a bit more, please?

I had a pair of 009s die and had to deal with Yama's, the US distributor. If you have had the (dis)pleasure to deal with Yama's before that should tell you all you need to know.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #231 of 286

I had a pair of 009s die and had to deal with Yama's, the US distributor. If you have had the (dis)pleasure to deal with Yama's before that should tell you all you need to know.

Never bought something from them, I live in Europe so fortunately I have not to deal with them, they have a very bad reputation from what I've read.
Sometimes japanese sellers have Stax products on Amazon, for example, 007 at 1840€, taxes and shipping included, fast delivery and with Paypal, I always buy with Paypal on Amazon/Ebay so no problems on that regard.

I was referring to sound differences more than schiity dealers

Sep 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #232 of 286
In that case, I think the sonic differences are really something you have to judge for yourself in person. Both Utopia and 007/009, when properly driven, deliver so well on technicalities that it really will come down to personal preference.

If you already have a Stax setup that works for you then I wouldn't worry about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Sep 6, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #233 of 286
  In that case, I think the sonic differences are really something you have to judge for yourself in person. Both Utopia and 007/009, when properly driven, deliver so well on technicalities that it really will come down to personal preference.

If you already have a Stax setup that works for you then I wouldn't worry about the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Yeah it is not my dynamic headphones that keep me from buying the Utopia. It's my 007mk1. I think I'm going to take a deep breath and enjoy the heck out of my hd800 and 007mk1 before I decide on a replacement for my Lcd-X.

I highly doubt it but I may just sell the X and get nothing. The hd800/007mk1 combo really covers allot of bases.

Back on topic the Ravenswood is amazing. My headphones might be up in the air right now. My amps are not. Really satisfied other than a few nitpicks. THANKS DOUG! You really brought it against one of the best headphone amp builders ever in Pete Millet. Pete's stuff really destroyed all the commercial stuff I tried. To be on his level in such a short time I think really speaks to what a great builder you are.

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #235 of 286

I would say doug's amps are another example of stax caveats. I like birgir and think my kgsshv is great sounding but the ONLY one input kind of stinks.

Oct 25, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #238 of 286
I apologize, I misunderstood your comment.  I doubt Doug would be willing to do custom work on another company's amp, but if you want a custom amp configuration for one of the amps that he builds, he has been historically amenable.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #240 of 286
@Radio_head
Really nice review having that 'for audiophile' quality 
But I have to spot that you did not use the word 'veil' in the description,
Like 'lifting yet another veil from the musical presentation'
Which makes me thing that those amp makes some things good, but the sound becomes muffled

"but I do not like feeling I'm listening to music in an elevator"
Wow, and now we have something which can make the music sound as 'the real thing'
I pitty those fulls who bought 1000$+ solid state amps and they have to hear 'elevator music'
But thanks to you nobody will make the same mistake again

"I have a tumultuous relationship with Solid State dynamic amps.  I've owned or tried most of the more pricey offerings, and they almost always fail to live up to my favorite tube amps in at least one of the following regards: 

1) Micro-Detail
2) Soundstage
3) Lack of bite"

Are you sure that you have the cables connected to the right amp (when doing the comparison)?
I mean does things failing are rather attributed to tube amps, which can have a very large noise floor and harmonic distortion and slow response, which definitly can degrade them.

"Disclaimer- if you "know" that an amp's topology cannot possibly affect one of these criteria, please write your comment down, put it in an envelope, address it to me, and then take a long hard look at what it says about yourself that you are unable to see something on the internet without being so intent to prove its wrongness that you are willing to write a letter (which nobody does) to a stranger to "educate" them about it.  "
Generally that such of things are not addressed to person who makes somewhat an (scratch it:advertisment) honest review of the product, but to general public reading the post 
Man I would be happy to spend like 1$ for the letter price, so that I could save somebody for bying overpriced 'stuff' (like 1000$ amps which use 50$ boards)
(Especially if I could get a 1$ for each person who finds that his friends amp/stock cable makes 'night and day' diffrence)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back