ECP Audio - DSHA-1, L-2, Black Diamond
Mar 19, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #211 of 286
My particular DSHA-4 is done in a power-amp configuration. Volume is controlled by a separate pre-amp.

Both inputs and outputs are transformer coupled.

Massively jealous here! Doug's stuffs are all amazing!

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #212 of 286
Just a quick heads up guys as I'm selling my ECP Black Diamond headphone amp in the classifieds here. Only selling as Doug is building me an DSHA-4 (The Ravenswood) and this sale will part fund it. 
smile_phones.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #213 of 286
Posted this over in the Pics of Your Builds thread in the DIY section, but it deserves a mention here, too - ECP Audio Walnut 5 DAC:

Walnut5-1.jpg

Walnut5-2.jpg

Walnut5-3.jpg

I actually built the PCB - the most challenging, but rewarding electronics project I've ever had.

As for that case and the wood - well, I was able to rub some oil onto the wood.
wink.gif
  Other than that, it's all Dsavitsk/ECP Audio craftsmanship! 

Balanced output, high-res, high-bit, asynchronous USB - can't ask for much more.  It's certainly the finest DAC I've heard and owned.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #215 of 286
we want a review of your new amp man. Pretty plz!

Aug 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #217 of 286
  So here's a few pic's of my latest pieces of gear. DSHA-4 (Ravenswood)!

and Kenwood kp-9010!

Sweet looking amp! Love the switchable input and gain.

Hope yours sounds as good as mine. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #218 of 286
Congrats!  That looks amazing and I'm sure sounds even better!

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #220 of 286
  Just out of curiosity, how much a Ravenswood costs? With volume control and black aluminum chassis, like the one in Jibzilla's photos?

Mine was $4k for the headphone amp, $1200 for the preamp, $200 for inputs/outputs. This amp very much competes with the Teton so if your looking for the best of the best without the tubes this is it. Just missed a best of the best sony mdr-r10 by $100. At $8189 maybe I should be thankful I did not win that auction, but that is actually on the low side compared to what I have seen them go for lately.

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #221 of 286

Mine was $4k for the headphone amp, $1200 for the preamp, $200 for inputs/outputs. This amp very much competes with the Teton so if your looking for the best of the best without the tubes this is it. Just missed a best of the best sony mdr-r10 by $100. At $8189 maybe I should be thankful I did not win that auction, but that is actually on the low side compared to what I have seen them go for lately.

So 5400usd for the amp...eye watering 
frown.gif

I'm sure it is one of the best amps on earth (and one of the sexiest too!).

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #222 of 286

frown.gif

These amps are not cheap IMO, but well worth Doug's asking price.  I have the ECP DSHA-2 on loan from Doug and it is very much compete with the GS-X MKII head on and if not exceeding it for $800 or $900 less when fully configured.  No this little amp doesn't have multiple inputs & outputs or even a preamp out.  However, as a stand alone amplifier unit...I have not heard a better amp for the price at 2.2k.  It powers the HD800, HEK, and R10 with ease.  

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #223 of 286

frown.gif

I almost dropped $8k on a r10 today if that tells you anything. Winning bid only got me by a few seconds. Congrats to whoever got it.

The amp is amazing but wins and loses categories with the Teton. If you are into a tube sound traits which I believe radiohead spells out pretty well at the beginning of this thread I would go for the Teton. If you are into more SS sound traits and are like me and think tube prices are nuts compared to as little as 5-10 years ago go for the Ravenswood.

An area where the Ravenswood really does compete with the Teton is micro detail. An area where the Teton competes with the Ravenswood is speed. Otherwise it is kind of the same old SS/Tube cliché's.

If you get an ECP, Apex or Headamp you really can't go wrong. DNA, bottlehead and schiit to a slightly lesser degree are also great options. Happy amp hunting.

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #224 of 286

I almost dropped $8k on a r10 today if that tells you anything. Winning bid only got me by a few seconds. Congrats to whoever got it.

Grab the Focal Utopia and pocket the change. I've been using mine with my Ravenswood. It is quite simply the best dynamic headphone out there right now.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #225 of 286

The amp is amazing but wins and loses categories with the Teton. If you are into a tube sound traits which I believe radiohead spells out pretty well at the beginning of this thread I would go for the Teton. If you are into more SS sound traits and are like me and think tube prices are nuts compared to as little as 5-10 years ago go for the Ravenswood.

An area where the Ravenswood really does compete with the Teton is micro detail. An area where the Teton competes with the Ravenswood is speed. Otherwise it is kind of the same old SS/Tube cliché's.

If you get an ECP, Apex or Headamp you really can't go wrong. DNA, bottlehead and schiit to a slightly lesser degree are also great options. Happy amp hunting.

8K for MDR-10 is crazy, unless you want it for re-sell it in 10 years as prices always go up with collector's items.
I don't like tube amps (nothing wrong with them, just not my cup of tea), I like state of the art solid state, like Accuphase or Gryphon to give you an example.
If I were in the market for a dynamic headphone amp it would be Audio GD HE-9 or Ravenswood, I'm not on that level of money so I'm saving for a KGSS/Stax SR-007A :)
PS: Thanks for your reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back