Ecosse Cables - UK Made? Seems more like China Made...
Feb 28, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 30
They can say they manufacture it in the UK with parts sourced elsewhere. "Manufacturing" can mean soldering the plugs to the wires and putting on the sheath. I think the OP is confusing the manufacture of the internal wire to manufacturing the cable. And yes, you could probably make the same cable yourself quite cheaply.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I guess you are right. So any hope that you will get a replacement of some kind?
If I were you though I'd contact either a head-fi sponsor or a local DIYer.

I doubt I'll get any kind of replacement from Ecosse. If anything they are likely not be very fond of me for writing this thread... and anyhow I didn't really do it for anything other than to reveal some truth about Ecosse :) ... as for the cable it self, it's been in the dumpster long ago since I didn't really have much use for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're into the wrong hobby.

Haha. There are some brands worth trusting though (; ... my Transport, DAC and Amp for instance are from Musical Fidelity, and they at least have the guts to admit that their products are made in Taiwan (albeit designed in the UK).

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily, on their site they show machine that make copper cable....so we assume they manufacture the cable themselve, and not just assemble.

Some of the bigger players do make their own cable.

Yeah, I guess that is the bit that causes most confusion. If you read the whole of the Ecosse website, even though they don't directly mention it, all their photos of equipment and manufacturing makes one assume that Ecosse are the ones manufacturing their own cables from the grounds up.

Mar 1, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #21 of 30
I can easily hear in my systems that cables can make a difference, but could never see the reason for the existence of very expensive cables, drawing the line with my Kimber Silver Streak/8TC combo.

Mar 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #22 of 30
I personally would choose cables based on ones equiments. Better equiments will be able to pick up more details and be able to discern benefit/weakness/difference from cables better. And of course everything must be justified by listening.

AudioCats - good point

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what make you think Musical Fidelity is actually designed in the UK?

Fair statement :)

I did however call up Musical Fidelity in the past via their UK number and had a chat with two of their engineers in the past when I had a couple of questions with regards to their products... and for anyone who has ever tried to call MF up, you'll realize it can be a bit of a pain because they only accept calls two hours per day just after their UK lunch time (between 1PM and 3PM, GMT).

So at least that gives me some reason to believe that at least some of their engineers who design their products are UK based if not all.

With Ecosse on the other hand, everything I am able to find out about the company goes against them doing anything in the UK other than re-branding.

Mar 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #24 of 30
this is pretty much the story with all cable companies... sorry you had to learn about it the hard way OP.

think about it, anyone on head-fi can go into making cables... there is no design needed or engineering needed WHAT SO EVER. you just assemble a cable, make it work, make it look pretty, and then you market it. i myself have done lots of DIY (and yes i buy big cables and shiny connectors and techflex even though it doesnt improve the sound quality, but i know im doing it for the sake of aesthetics and not some higher sound thats achieved by this), and i know what goes into making a cable, basically nothing. theres no need to actually have design or measurements, as thats not how cables "work", peoples ears (and minds) will do the "this sounds good" part for you.

seriously just compare how out of reach designing a DAC, or an amp, or a cd player, or a pair of headphones, is for the average person, and then look at the simplicity of cables. thats why theres a new "boutique" cable company popping up every week and the cables are made on some guys desk.

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All cables are made on same group of facilities in Asia. Get real.

what are you replying to exactly, quoting a post would help. if youre talking about my "made on a guys desk" statement well im not sure why im the one that needs to get real. lots of cable that head-fi users buy are made in some dudes home... or something like a garage (in the case of virtual dynamics). for every company out there thats as big as audioquest, or cardas, or nordost, there is a VERY VERY small company that buys cable from the big manufacturers like canare, mogami, or possibly even silver cables from company like HGA, then dress them up real nice and slap a hand written label on it. These "small companies" are usually a couple of guys, or one guy, working in his home.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #27 of 30
Hello,
sorry for my poor english.
First of all, there are also OTHER manufacturers in the UK and around the world that uses for their expensive products cheap bulk cables from NeoTech (Taiwan).
These manufacturers nowadays are fascinated by the OCC (or Monocrystal) Copper or Silver (like AudioQuest to) for their "original" (renamed
etysmile.gif
products. The original Neotech bulk cables are relatively unexpensive, and they can be find all around the world. It's MUUUCH cheaper tu buy some bulk cables, quality terminations (like WBT or Eichmann), some silver solder and heatshrink. With a 30 minute of hard labour (
mad.gif
) you can finish your own cable, and save more than 50% of your money.
A few examples to save money:

http://www.mw-audio.de/pi762398543.htm?categoryId=201

http://www.vhaudio.com/wire.html

http://kacsa-audio.hu/webshop/neotech.b.3/neotech.b.3/kabel.c.154/

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #28 of 30
you guys do know that there are only so many places that you can source copper, let alone copper with a certain level of purity.
everyone buys from a limited number of producers

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #29 of 30

Quote:
this is pretty much the story with all cable companies... sorry you had to learn about it the hard way OP.

Sadly, this is pretty much the same with everything we buy. Branding and globalisation applies to all walks of life.
Say you're comparing a budget washing machine with a posh German "imported" brand and decide to spend more on quality. Well, irrespective of whether that extra money was worth it or not, the two machines probably came from the same factory.

Say you're looking at a chicken & vegetable pie and it's got a union jack on the packaging, plus a picture of a happy free roaming chicken, plus a Made-In-England sticker.
Chances are, the chicken came from a factory farm in Holland, the vegetables from half way round the world, and the only thing that happened in England was that the pie was put in a box, maybe pre-heated as well. If you're really lucky, the ingredients will may been mixed by an  English person.

And don't get me started about branded designer clothing! But it's within the rules, even if we don't like it.

Within that context, and from a brief look at their website, Ecosse haven't broken any laws. They haven't lied and they haven't behaved any worse than most other cable companies, or most other companies period. Their "factory tour" shows examples of people and equipment that assemble cables. There is no evidence that they actually draw their own wire. And as far as I can tell, nobody is complaining about their quality.

What they have been guilty of, is of successfully convincing entrope that the whole aspect of cable production has been done in-house in a cosy British (Scottish?), no nonsense kind of way.
That cosy image has at least partly contributed to entrope becoming a repeat buyer.

But if you get angry about that, then prepare to get angry about everything else. It's how the world is in these globally competitive times. We want the romance, but we, in general, don't want to pay for it - and it's Marketing that fills the gap. There are companies that truly do manufacture in-house, but you have to study the wording very carefully to spot the difference.

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 30
if you like the sound of it, then it has achieved its goal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back