Economy Car Suggestions Please
Apr 19, 2009 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110

srozzman

500+ Head-Fier
Within the next year, I will be purchasing a brand new economy car. The cars that I am leaning towards are the Volkswagon Rabbit 3 door model, or the Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe (Non SS). I am looking for the trusted Head-fi community's thoughts, opinions and experiences as well as suggestions. I need the car to last me at least four years, and am looking towards which is the better value, and fun for the money. I am also looking towards the Chevrolet Aveo5 for other possibilities.

I would like to either stay domestic or go European, but am open to suggestions. Please keep brand bashing out of this thread. Happy Posting!

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 110
No Japanese models? I went to buy a new, economical car two years ago and narrowed my choices down to the Honda Civic and the Scion tC. I really liked both of them - sporty, economical and fun - but the Honda ended up costing more for similar features. A clutch was mandatory, but I also wanted four wheel discs and a folding rear seat. If you wanted discs and the folding seat on a Civic, you had to buy the EX version which ran around $20k. Also, the DX (least expensive Civic) version didn't have AC (I go to Arizona a lot, and a fan won't cut it at 120) so it was either the LX or EX. The least expensive tC, the Spec model, had AC, four wheel discs, foling rear seat and much else I liked. It was $15k flat, no haggle. That was about $5k less than a similarly equipped Civic EX, so I bought the tC.

Two years later, I've only followed the service schedule and added gas. It has been bulletproof for 35k miles. I suspect the Civic would have been bulletproof, too, but the tC was the better deal. The only thing I didn't like about the Spec package were the steel wheels with plastic hupcaps. I asked about getting the stock alloys instead, but the dealer wanted $1,800 for them. No thanks. Instead, I trolled eBay for a couple months, looking for someone unloading their stock alloys. I got four virtually new ones for $100 plus shipping.

Anyhow, I can't recommend the tC enough. It's reliable and the 5 speed keeps it entertaining. Also, the tC's engine and transmission are lifted directly from the Camry. This thing should pull down 250k-300k miles, no problem. I keep around my RX-7 and Mercury Comet for fun, but they're awfully thirsty. The knock you'll see against the tC is that it's not really a sports car. True, it doesn't hold the road like the RX-7 and there's no growling V8 like the Comet. It occupies a space betwen passenger and sports car - something I came to appreciate on long hauls theough the Southwest and the Pacific Northwest. You can keep up in mountain passes, but I still wish I had the RX-7 along, though not at 14MPG.

Another car you should consider is the Ford Focus. I caught a story a couple months ago tha Ford is finally bringing the Euro spec Focus to the US. I would have bought one if it were available two years ago - there's a good reason why it is very popular in Europe. I'll han onto the tC, though. It's half paid off and it's a great car.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 110
Buying a brand new car is the absolute DUMBEST investment you can make. You lose thousands of dollars instantly, and it rapidly depreciates in the first few years of ownership.

Get something 3-5 years old, that was well maintained.

Also, again, for the value, get a Honda. They hold resale value far better than anything german, or domestic. Toyotas hold value pretty well, but the cars are coma-inducing boring. Honda usually has at least a tiny bit of element of fun in all their models.

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 110
I personally like the 02ish focus, but the current one is too ugly to be seen in IMHO. I was looking at the Tc actually, but the the engine seemed a little week. Also, the current trend of buying Japanese seems to be jacking the prices up, while the better deals seem to be other brands. How is your Tc withstanding the everyday wear and tear? Any broken plastic pieces etc?

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 110
If fuel economy is of the utmost concern, I would go towards 3 cars:
  1. Honda Civic
  2. Toyota Corolla
  3. Ford Focus
All 3 are excellent, pretty good on fuel, and reliable. The Aveo is a piece of garbage. The Cobalt isn't bad but after the mess with the Cavalier I still don't fully trust it.

If fuel economy is a factor but you're looking for fun, I would look heavily into the Mazda3. I own a 2009 and while the gas mileage leaves a bit to be desired (I get 24-25 combined city/highway, but that's far from typical - if you read forums, you'll find some people getting in that range and some people getting in the 26-30 combined range), but it outdrives anything else within $10,000 of its starting price, handles like a dream, and is an incredibly fun car. The 2010 upgrades the look, interior feel, fuel economy on the 2.0L, and the engine on the S model from 2.3L to 2.5L, and truly looks impressive.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #6 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within the next year, I will be purchasing a brand new economy car. The cars that I am leaning towards are the Volkswagon Rabbit 3 door model, or the Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe (Non SS). I am looking for the trusted Head-fi community's thoughts, opinions and experiences as well as suggestions. I need the car to last me at least four years, and am looking towards which is the better value, and fun for the money. I am also looking towards the Chevrolet Aveo5 for other possibilities.

I would like to either stay domestic or go European, but am open to suggestions. Please keep brand bashing out of this thread. Happy Posting!

After being treated like dirt, and forced to pay for repairs that should not have taken place I can say without a doubt that VW is one of the worst cars on the road and backed by a network of liars and thieves. If you want 5 or 6 pages of details I will give them to you but I hope for your sake you do not give VW your business.

Japanese, American, makes no difference, if you go to New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com and look up the Recalls and Technical Service Bulletinsfor any car then you will realize that nationality and make and model are less important than what year of production the particular model is in. First year models will always have a crap load of TSB's and perhaps some recalls. The second year is better but still not good enough for my taste. The thrid year is when I would feel comfortable buying a particular model. This is not superstition but based on facts that I bothered to find out too late to make a difference in my case, and I hope you are able to use this advice to avoid some of the unbelievable BS that I was put through because my wife has a flaw in her personality that makes her want the latest and greatest.

Example:
2009 VW GTI 2 Dr 0 Recalls and 3 Technical Service Bulletins<~~So Far
2008 VW GTI 2 Dr 1 Recall for missaligned headlighs (causes accidents) 8 Technical Service Bulletins
2007 VW GTI 2 Dr 1 Recall for the missalighned headlights (causes accidents) 12 Technical Service Bulletins.
2006 VW GTI 2 Dr 2 Recalls and 15 Technical Service Bulletins

If you go even further back then you will realize just how screwed up VW is because they never really get to a point where any model is trust worthy. Other makes like Honda and Chevy will have models that reach a point where they are IMO trust worthy.

Another thing to keep in mind is all those TSB's are only applied to your car when you complain about something. They wont apply those fixes just because your in for an oil change. The way they see it, if it isnt likely to have you wraped around a tree then nothing is wrong with your car.

No first or second year cars, bother to look up the the records, that hour on the computer could save you many many trips to the dealer and all the anger and frustration and lies that come with it. I, myself am not a very patient person, my wife doesn't pick out our cars any more. No Toyotas, VW's, Benz's, or any other German car. Lots of people jumped ship on American Auto makers along time ago and for good reason. Its time to give them a shot again, for yourself and for the economy if you need to tell yourself that. I just did it for myself. Sorry for the Rant guys, I have spend too much time fornicating with GD car dealers.

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com

BTW: Forgot one thing, A replacement 17" wheel for my wifes Benz was 480 dollars, a replacement 17" wheel for my Toyota was 470 dollars, I checked on the price of a new 18" wheel for our Jeep and it is 250 dollars, and all three are Aluminum. See where I am going with this.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 110
^^ I love Toyota. The Tercel my family had ran forever without any real problems or fixes needed. I trust them completely.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ I love Toyota. The Tercel my family had ran forever without any real problems or fixes needed. I trust them completely.

I hate Toyota, they forced me into a 2 year legal battle. Never again. I rather walk.

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 110
why the hell do vw call the golf the "rabbit" in the us??? am i only one that thinks thats a stupid name for a car?

anyway id suggest getting one of them stupid name aside (unless ur importing in which case the golf is fine or go for the more youthful version and fractionaly cheaper, the seat leon)

also the vw group do some of the best diesels around so look into those if thats an option in the us, the bluemotion golf gets just over 74 mpg on an extra urban cycle

Apr 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #10 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why the hell do vw call the golf the "rabbit" in the us??? am i only one that thinks thats a stupid name for a car?

anyway id suggest getting one of them stupid name aside (unless ur importing in which case the golf is fine or go for the more youthful version and fractionaly cheaper, the seat leon)

also the vw group do some of the best diesels around so look into those if thats an option in the us, the bluemotion golf gets just over 74 mpg on an extra urban cycle

We call it the rabbit because that's what it was called until the mid 90's and now is called again.

Also because the "drivers wanted" ad campaign was a lot less clever here, since they were using it to market the Jetta.

Seconded on the diesel VW's. I wish we could get the Polo over here, but the dealerships are convinced that we don't want them.

Oh, as for the "why no japanese models" question - some of us, particularly those of us with scandinavian heritage, cannot comfortably drive any car from any part of asia.

What's weird is, I'm more comfortable in a german subcompact than i am in most american full size sedans, let alone an american midsize or economy.

I can hop right into my GTI but climbing into my sister's Pontiac Grand Am is like a limbo exercise. And then even with the seat all the way back, there always seems to be something jabbing me in my knee.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 110
^Hybrid doesn't always equal economy, but thats another debate for another thread.

Can I throw in a wildcard: the Ford Fiesta?

Got the chance to test one in Australia. Absolutely brilliant little car; Great fun to drive, very funky interior, comfortable driving position and surprisingly large boot (if a little difficult to access due to the bootlid design).

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1UP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Economy and not a hybrid?

hybrids make sense if you have a ton of money and most of your driving is on surface streets. This is because the electric motor is most effective when accelerating from a dead stop to regular city traffic speeds, and because of regenerative breaking.

On the freeway, a diesel is far better than a gas/electric hybrid.

At 75mph, a prius is just a really heavy car with a tiny gas engine.

If you put more than half your miles on the car on the freeway, a diesel rabbit is a nicer car with bigger interior and cargo space than a prius that also gets superior mileage and costs less money.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally like the 02ish focus, but the current one is too ugly to be seen in IMHO. I was looking at the Tc actually, but the the engine seemed a little week. Also, the current trend of buying Japanese seems to be jacking the prices up, while the better deals seem to be other brands. How is your Tc withstanding the everyday wear and tear? Any broken plastic pieces etc?

If you get the five speed it's perky enough. Let's put it this way, those jerks who pretend to be in the right hand turn lane only to try to jump you at the light never get past me. The tC might not turn heads at the strip, but there's plenty of low end grunt for the ins and out of Los Angeles traffic. I've also driven it through the Santiam Pass as well as through the passes (around 11,000') near Mono Lake. It never ran short of breath and I don't remember downshifting to maintain speed.

I've had zero cosmetic issues, too. I don't know if they still offer the Spec model, but it comes with a fixed glass roof. I'd rather not deal with sunroof repairs ten years from now and it is quieter with the sealed roof, too.

Apr 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #15 of 110
Let me clear up a few key points here. I live in America, and do not plan on importing a car (sorry ford fiesta). Also, I know VW has a bad track record, but I have been doing some research on the Rabbit (Golf), and while it seems like the MkIV was assembled in Mexico, the MkV Rabbit that I am looking at is assembled in Germany, and there have been far less problems with it.

I want a manual transmission. I would prefer a simpler engine to work on, as I enjoy doing my own maintenance. And no hybrids. My max cost is probably around $20,000 (American Dollars) out the door. I would get a diesel, but they are of limited availability in the US outside of the truck market.

Oh and i want to fit in the car. Thats a big requirement. 6'3" or 6'4" and 185lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back