Economically storing vinyl records properly
Apr 25, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #16 of 25
Just got to this through a link in another post. For future reference...I don't know if anyone else makes these, so I would suggest something I saw at The Container Store once. I believe they can be ordered online.

It's a modified milk crate--designed to be large enough to hold the height and width of records.

I'm not sure exactly what everyone else means by milk crates, but I'm pretty sure the standard issue is a little short. I always wondered why someone didn't come out with extenders for people who store records (probably because milk crates vary in design.)

As before, dunno if anyone has come up with something better, but when I saw it I thought, "It's about time!!"

The Container Store ones are not so economical but way better than the regular milk crates.

Boltz looks great, although it would unfortunately be against my preference, which is to have music stored in an enclosed area (I think they have cabinets now but whoa are they expensive.)

Thanks for the photos, ralphp!!!

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a modified milk crate--designed to be large enough to hold the height and width of records.

I'm not sure exactly what everyone else means by milk crates, but I'm pretty sure the standard issue is a little short. I always wondered why someone didn't come out with extenders for people who store records (probably because milk crates vary in design.)

As before, dunno if anyone has come up with something better, but when I saw it I thought, "It's about time!!"

The Container Store ones are not so economical but way better than the regular milk crates.

I have some, not from the Container Store but probably the same. The ones I have are not strong enough to stack, at least not more than two high. They're ok for putting on shelves. If you've got 50 to 150 records they might do it for you, but not that useful for big collections.

Apr 25, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever you clean a record, you have to get a new inner sleeve for it. Otherwise, it's like taking a shower and then putting on your clothes from the day before.

I do this all the time?
Just kidding, we picked up a great shelf from target or WM recently..will find out and reply back, but holds many and is secure, wood, etc..
(I have mine set up for three shelves, seems to hold around a 100 or close per shelf and is plenty deep and depthy, so can control placement from the wall and edge line for controlling light or temp exposure, etc)

Apr 26, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #22 of 25
I coulda sworn that Ikea sold 'singles' of their expedit shelves. One cube is good for I'd say 50 to 60 records. Things look like they were made with vinyl in mind. roughly 13 by 13 by 13 and lotsa partitions to support the massive shelf-foot weight of vinyl.

May 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 25
I use gorilla racks

recordwall.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back