Economically storing vinyl records properly
Mar 7, 2007 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
I understand that vinyl records should not be stacked horizontally, and should be stored vertically straight.

I'm looking for a cheap way of storing records until the time comes when I can buy a nice storage solution (I like the Boltz LP shelves). Currently, my vinyl collection is about 40, and I'm looking to add another 60 later this week. I'm going to hold the collection at 100 for a while. I need to time to listen to the records.
biggrin.gif

Are plastic milk cartons OK?

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #2 of 25
The storage compartment is only part of the equation - consider WHERE you store them as well, since heat/temperature fluctuations and moisture can be devastating.

Honestly though, my records have been kept in an old, 70's Toshiba media cabinet for years with no adverse effects. So long as they stand upright with minimal weight on their broad sides, you should be ok. Milk cartons should be fine as a temporary solution.

How long are we talking here?

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 25
a month or two, no more than three

What about the sleeves? Should I replace them? I've read about different types of sleeves. Any recommendations?

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the sleeves? Should I replace them? I've read about different types of sleeves. Any recommendations?

There are a ton of sleeves available. I have yet to buy any, but to answer your question I'd say yes and no. If you have a lot of records the have no inner sleeve, or carboard sleeves, then yes. No sleeve can be bad, and the cardboard ones tend to leave fibres all over the discs.

On the other hand, some LPs come with pretty good ones - the nice anti-static plastic ones or cardboard lined with plastic. No rush there.

I would say that the outer album sleeves mentioned are a great investment. They protect the wonderful album art while keeping dust out.

Mar 8, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whenever you clean a record, you have to get a new inner sleeve for it. Otherwise, it's like taking a shower and then putting on your clothes from the day before.

Very good point. To the OP, if you plan on cleaning your records before you store them, new sleeves will be a must.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Livor Mortis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend just getting the cheap standard clear plastic sleeves to put over the cardboard. I also think that keeping them in a milk crate for a month or two is completely fine.

I'm a bit confused. Why would keeping the LPs in a milk crate only be fine "for a month or two"? So long as they are horizontal and lined up vertically? Wouldn't a plastic milk crate do essentially the same job of holding up an LP as a $600 metal Boltz LP rack?

I'm a total vinyl newb, btw.
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Regarding storing records in milk crates, here's the problem. Plastic milk crates are not all that sturdy and will bend over time due to the weight of the records. Hence the advice that they only be used as a short term storage solution.

On the other hand, metal milk crates, which aren't made anymore, are great for storing records. I've had over 1000 records stored in 15 metal milk crates for many years with no damage to the records or the crates.

JazzLPs.jpg

As far as replacement inner sleeves goes, I use the ones made by Mobile Fidelity or a similar version. Check the links below.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/....asp?sku=AMFIS

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...1121&sct=music

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphp@optonline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding storing records in milk crates, here's the problem. Plastic milk crates are not all that sturdy and will bend over time due to the weight of the records. Hence the advice that they only be used as a short term storage solution.

On the other hand, metal milk crates, which aren't made anymore, are great for storing records. I've had over 1000 records stored in 15 metal milk crates for many years with no damage to the records or the crates.

Ah, okay, that makes sense! Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back