Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #122 of 992
The bass is incredible with the reference filters + comply eartips. I'm so glad I bought these.
I think my sister will love her set as well. She uses some RHAs with the loosest bass I have heard in years...

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #123 of 992
The bass is incredible with the reference filters + comply eartips. I'm so glad I bought these.
I think my sister will love her set as well. She uses some RHAs with the loosest bass I have heard in years...

I agree, the Comply tips do work magic with the bass.  Just wondering what RHA your sister owns.  I have the 750 and the T20 and don't find the bass loose at all, although I've heard lower end RHA are pretty loose.  The X1's bass reminds me a lot of the bass on the 750 and T20, no small achievement.   Just a suggestion to Echobox - although the Comply filters are easily obtainable from other sources, you might consider including a pair with the X1 even when they go off Indiegogo, they pair so well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #125 of 992
I do wish there was a filter that would bring the vocals up a bit and tame what I hear to be shrill highs. Even with my tip-rolling I still would like the addition of a "smoother" filter as I so far have been unable to reduce the brightness to a more natural level.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #127 of 992
Foam tips should do the trick

I have never been able to get a seal with foam tips. I have tried all sorts of ways, but no luck. Best I have found yet are SpinFits, Spiral Dots and Sony hybrid. Still trying to sort them out. It is too nice of a phone to give up on it

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #130 of 992
Dec 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #132 of 992
I have never been able to get a seal with foam tips. I have tried all sorts of ways, but no luck. Best I have found yet are SpinFits, Spiral Dots and Sony hybrid. Still trying to sort them out. It is too nice of a phone to give up on it

You may just want the Ostry OS tips...

ay.jpg

...and the filters can be popped out and used in many other tip choices if one so chooses provided they fit in them.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #133 of 992
Cross-post from discovery thread. Figured there was a dedicated thread :smile:

Echobox Finder X1
Impressions after some playing around (minimal burn-in, in case anyone cares):

First off all. To whoever designed the section that holds the extra filters, you f*ing sadist. That was one of the single most frustrating unboxing experiences of my life. It's impossible to get them out without ruining the packaging. I felt like looney tunes character struggling with the damn thing.

Aaaanywho,
Steps to enjoyment:

1. Take off stock tips and pre-installed white filters and throw them both as far as you can.
2. Install black filters after the struggle (which is real), put on the included small dual flanges.
3. Throw box with everything else you won't need at annoying coworker and run away giggling.
4. Profit.

95% serious...

Filters: Per my ears and the manual:
White: bass explosion (roll off after 200Hz - joking... kinda)
Black: balanced (less bass, not sure about treble)
Red: treble enhanced (lowest bass, most treble)

That's the combination (black filters and included dual flanges) that yields the best balance of timbre, linearity, note weight, clarity, and soundstage.
Everything else massively skews the response to looney toons proportions. (To be fair, if you want to pull the bass down a bit at the expense of slightly rougher and brighter treble, the red filters are alright.) use the comply for something else.

These are massively sensitive to seal and tip rolling.

Long tips like the included comply and MH1 tips muddy up the midrange and treble to a staggering degree. Wider tips like the stock red stems super amplify the treble peaks.

With my settled combination:
Bass hits very hard, and it's very tight. Clearly above neutral but mostly peaks at around 40Hz so it stays pretty clear of the midrange. Probably a bit less in amplitude than it feels but it has the illusion of significant quantity because it's powerful and tight.

Really, the whole sound is pretty engaging.

Midrange is really detailed and really clean. Very solid combo with the solid imaging.

Treble is just on the edge of sibilant for me but keeps it together better than most that are on the edge and is totally listenable.

Stage is crystalline, clear and airy and really drive home the tight and detailed sound. Could be bigger but the right tip/filter combo and it's really very adequate with great layering which makes up for it.
Imaging is really good.

Very solid performer and very good at the indiegogo price.

Really, wrong filter/tip combo, and these sound pretty bad. Enough for me to say that the difference is almost unbelievable. I suspect from this that they would EQ really well.

Was gonna give them away for Christmas to family, but since I mauled the inner box and got them to show their good side, I think I'll be keeping them.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #135 of 992
Just wondering what RHA your sister owns.  I have the 750 and the T20 and don't find the bass loose at all, although I've heard lower end RHA are pretty loose.  The X1's bass reminds me a lot of the bass on the 750 and T20, no small achievement.   Just a suggestion to Echobox - although the Comply filters are easily obtainable from other sources, you might consider including a pair with the X1 even when they go off Indiegogo, they pair so well.

They are probably the cheapest ones. Looking at the pictures and prices, Id say MA325. They might now sell them any more though.
I'm actually using my X1s with Comply Isolation Plus tips right now. I probably wont use the free Comply tips since they are missing wax filters. Im sure I could buy replacement bass/reference/treble filters for the X1 if they were to get waxy, but I figure it is best to use preventative measures and use Isolation Plus tips instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back