Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #77 of 992
Hi guys,

I've been eyeing the $129 pack, seeing as all the ones for this month are done. I was about to buy a DUNU DN-1000 as an upgrade from my GR07 classic, which is getting worn. A big selling point for me is the durability of the Finder X1, but I don't know which of the two would be a better upgrade from the GR07. Can anybody give me input? I listen to jazz, classical, and rock, if that helps.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #79 of 992
That just means they are sold out of the initial $99 introductory package.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #80 of 992
I checked their kickstart website but it seems that none of the 99$ packages are claimed yet, so I think I might take the plunge anyways. But if someone who heard both of these IEM's and can point me in the right direction, that would be nice as I can't demo anything right now. Sonically would the finder be an improvement from the GR07 classic? I know the DUNU is, but the 3-year warranty and price of the Finders are really great. Thanks!

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #83 of 992
Just got an email.  My Finders have shipped!  Ahead of schedule by a few days, too.

As are mine! Great service from Echobox!

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #86 of 992
  I am looking forward to seeing Echobox again at the Tokyo headphone show NEXT week :)

Whoop whoop! E-Earphone hyyyype!!!

Serious E-Earphone is amazing. I remember seeing pictures and lusting after the store before I worked in the industry, only to go and find it even better than I imagined 
etysmile.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #87 of 992
I just received my Finders this morning and can say that build quality is superb. Packaging is nice BUT....it is almost impossible to remove the filters without damaging the edge of the box surrounding the filters. Yes, I did remove the clear plastic covering the filters. Shook it upside down, tried tweezers, tiny forceps and finally a dental pick. Maybe a better idea might be to use a small container such as used by Trinity.

That said, once I found a set of tips that provided a good seal, (SpinFit large) I find the sound to be very good based on my initial listening. (black filters) Being a dynamic transducer, perhaps a reasonable amount of burn-in time will yield further improvements as experienced by Mochill.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #88 of 992
I am a musician, but unfortunately I do not have the most discerning of ears. I've just received my Echobox Finder X1's, and I have to say that they're a lot bassier than I expected, with every single filtre, but definitely not in a bad way. Just in a unexpectedly punchy way, although now that I realise it's a dynamic driver it's not too hard to believe. In an effort to determine which filtre is the bass and which is the reference filtre, I've switch back and forth a countless number of times. Reviews of the Echobox Finder X1 have either claimed the white filtres to be the bass filtres and the black filtres to the be reference filtres, or the opposite (white - reference, black - bass), or just that the included literature is wrong. According to some measurements done by Sonny Trigg on InEarSpace.com (http://inearspace.com/2015/12/07/measurement-monday-echobox-finder-x1/), the filtres are as the literature describes:

- WHITE - Bass filtre (pre-installed)
- BLACK - Reference filtre
- RED - Treble filtre

I wanted to check with you guys, as well as Garry Gill and Echobox, if the literature is actually correct or not? If so, why are the Bass filtres pre-installed, when logically it should be the Reference filtres that come pre-installed? Just curious. After Garry gets back to me, I will have most likely burned them in long enough to provide a review to the best of my ability.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #89 of 992
I am a musician, but unfortunately I do not have the most discerning of ears. I've just received my Echobox Finder X1's, and I have to say that they're a lot bassier than I expected, with every single filtre, but definitely not in a bad way. Just in a unexpectedly punchy way, although now that I realise it's a dynamic driver it's not too hard to believe. In an effort to determine which filtre is the bass and which is the reference filtre, I've switch back and forth a countless number of times. Reviews of the Echobox Finder X1 have either claimed the white filtres to be the bass filtres and the black filtres to the be reference filtres, or the opposite (white - reference, black - bass), or just that the included literature is wrong. According to some measurements done by Sonny Trigg on InEarSpace.com (http://inearspace.com/2015/12/07/measurement-monday-echobox-finder-x1/), the filtres are as the literature describes:

- RED - Treble filtre

I wanted to check with you guys, as well as Garry Gill and Echobox, if the literature is actually correct or not? If so, why are the Bass filtres pre-installed, when logically it should be the Reference filtres that come pre-installed? Just curious. After Garry gets back to me, I will have most likely burned them in long enough to provide a review to the best of my ability.

My brief trials comparing the pre-installed white filter and the black (balanced) filter confirms what the literature describes. The black filter seems to be more tonally balanced than the bassier white filter. I have not tried the red yet, as the black has all the treble I need.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #90 of 992

- RED - Treble filtre

Heya,

You've got them listed correctly there.

We installed the bass filters by default because we didn't want to alienate mainstream listeners - we know enthusiasts will take the time to try our filter system and find the sound that's right for them, but most people who grab our stuff on IndieGoGo or Amazon will most likely pop 'em in their ears and decide immediately whether they like them or not. A lot of the feedback we've gotten at non-audio-specific shows like CES and IFA has shown that most non-audiophile people prefer the sound of the bass filter, so we decided to play it safe and make that the "default" tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back