Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Dec 20, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #902 of 992
Dec 20, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #904 of 992
Mar 22, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #907 of 992
The second of my quaternity of the earpocalypse to arrive to me in the mail! The Shozy Zero, Echobox Audio Finder X1, Meelectronics Pinnacle P1, and Trinity Atlas make up this terrifying force of melody. 

The last earphone I tried was the shozy zero. Comparing it with the echobox audio finder X1, there is one thing that immediately sticks out to me more than anything else. The mid section is a little darker in these earphones. Granted, I have only been listening to 3 symphonies at length among other things. Karlos Kleiber's Brahms Symphony No 4, Zubin Mehta's Mahler Symphony No 2, and Sir Edward Elgar's Cello Concertos performed by Jaqueline Du Pre. All in flac. Immediately in the cello concertos, which I am listening to right now, I notice more resonance and forwardness in the cello that opens this piece in the shozy zero. I also think that the vocals are a little more refined and natural sounding in Das Lied Von Der Erde performed by Otto Klemperer, in the second track of the performance when the female vocalist enters in the shozy zero. 

That being said, there is a flaw in the Echobox Finder X1. It lacks some breath in the mid section and that to me is one of the most notable things in a headphone. I always crave smooth, lifelike resonant midsections, with lots of breath to them. Otherwise it's a detailed sound signature, which I can't say has anything else immediately wrong with it that I've heard. I think it's a detailed and crisp sound signature, it definitely has a lot of punch when the woodwinds come in and all the little breaths and clicks and background static if a recording has it, you can pick up with these. The sound stage is not that big, but then again I'm rather new to ear buds and can only expect that it would be different from a full size headphone like the denon ah-mm400 or the sennheiser momentum. 

The build quality is stunning though. It feel sturdy and looks very attractive. I can definitely see myself using these as a pocket headphone, as they do have less microphonics and feel sturdier than the shozy zero. The shozy zero I would definitely be more gentle with. I saw a video of the finder x1 being taped to the los angelos freeway and getting run over by like 20 cars and then being untaped and use again. That was really one of the big selling points for me. I want my earbuds to last me a really, really long time, and I don't feel any weak points on these. They may be perfect if they had a bit more mid section breath, resonance, warmth, and perhaps a detachable, replaceable cable. But the cable on this feels pretty sturdy. 

This is my first impression on using these earbuds for the first day. Looking forward to incurring the wrath of the final two! 

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #908 of 992
The second of my quaternity of the earpocalypse to arrive to me in the mail! The Shozy Zero, Echobox Audio Finder X1, Meelectronics Pinnacle P1, and Trinity Atlas make up this terrifying force of melody. 

The last earphone I tried was the shozy zero. Comparing it with the echobox audio finder X1, there is one thing that immediately sticks out to me more than anything else. The mid section is a little darker in these earphones. Granted, I have only been listening to 3 symphonies at length among other things. Karlos Kleiber's Brahms Symphony No 4, Zubin Mehta's Mahler Symphony No 2, and Sir Edward Elgar's Cello Concertos performed by Jaqueline Du Pre. All in flac. Immediately in the cello concertos, which I am listening to right now, I notice more resonance and forwardness in the cello that opens this piece. I also think that the vocals are a little more refined and natural sounding in Das Lied Von Der Erde performed by Otto Klemperer, in the second track of the performance when the female vocalist enters. 

That being said, there is a flaw in the Echobox Finder X1. It lacks some breath in the mid section and that to me is one of the most notable things in a headphone. I always crave smooth, lifelike resonant midsections, with lots of breath to them. Otherwise it's a detailed sound signature, which I can't say has anything else immediately wrong with it that I've heard. I think it's a detailed and crisp sound signature, it definitely has a lot of punch when the woodwinds come in and all the little breaths and clicks and background static if a recording has it, you can pick up with these. The sound stage is not that big, but then again I'm rather new to ear buds and can only expect that it would be different from a full size headphone like the denon ah-mm400 or the sennheiser momentum. 

The build quality is stunning though. It feel sturdy and looks very attractive. I can definitely see myself using these as a pocket headphone, as they do have less microphonics and feel sturdier than the shozy zero. The shozy zero I would definitely be more gentle with. I saw a video of the finder x1 being taped to the los angelos freeway and getting run over by like 20 cars and then being untaped and use again. That was really one of the big selling points for me. I want my earbuds to last me a really, really long time, and I don't feel any weak points on these. They may be perfect if they had a bit more mid section breath, resonance, warmth, and perhaps a detachable, replaceable cable. But the cable on this feels pretty sturdy. 

This is my first impression on using these earbuds for the first day. Looking forward to incurring the wrath of the final two! 
Thanks for your impressions. Which filter are you using on the X1.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #910 of 992

The last earphone I tried was the shozy zero. Comparing it with the echobox audio finder X1, there is one thing that immediately sticks out to me more than anything else. The mid section is a little darker in these earphones. Granted, I have only been listening to 3 symphonies at length among other things. Karlos Kleiber's Brahms Symphony No 4, Zubin Mehta's Mahler Symphony No 2, and Sir Edward Elgar's Cello Concertos performed by Jaqueline Du Pre. All in flac. Immediately in the cello concertos, which I am listening to right now, I notice more resonance and forwardness in the cello that opens this piece. I also think that the vocals are a little more refined and natural sounding in Das Lied Von Der Erde performed by Otto Klemperer, in the second track of the performance when the female vocalist enters in the shozys. 

Thank you for your detailed feedback, so happy to hear that you are enjoying them! :) If I could make a small suggestion, the Finder uses PEEK diaphragms, which require an extensive 'burn in' to reach their full potential. I recommend downloading a pink noise track, and simply plug your Finders in overnight for a week or so and run pink noise through at 3/4 volume. You should notice a dramatic change in the sound signature, one that I feel you will enjoy quite a bit. Let me know if you have any questions about this, and have fun listening to the change take place :)

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #911 of 992

The last earphone I tried was the shozy zero. Comparing it with the echobox audio finder X1, there is one thing that immediately sticks out to me more than anything else. The mid section is a little darker in these earphones. Granted, I have only been listening to 3 symphonies at length among other things. Karlos Kleiber's Brahms Symphony No 4, Zubin Mehta's Mahler Symphony No 2, and Sir Edward Elgar's Cello Concertos performed by Jaqueline Du Pre. All in flac. Immediately in the cello concertos, which I am listening to right now, I notice more resonance and forwardness in the cello that opens this piece. I also think that the vocals are a little more refined and natural sounding in Das Lied Von Der Erde performed by Otto Klemperer, in the second track of the performance when the female vocalist enters in the shozys. 

Thank you for your detailed feedback, so happy to hear that you are enjoying them!
smily_headphones1.gif
If I could make a small suggestion, the Finder uses PEEK diaphragms, which require an extensive 'burn in' to reach their full potential. I recommend downloading a pink noise track, and simply plug your Finders in overnight for a week or so and run pink noise through at 3/4 volume. You should notice a dramatic change in the sound signature, one that I feel you will enjoy quite a bit. Let me know if you have any questions about this, and have fun listening to the change take place
smily_headphones1.gif

Will do! Thank you for your suggestion!

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #913 of 992
So I downloaded an app on my samsung galaxy called pink noise on my phone. I'm just going to let it run for a few days at a few clicks shy of full volume. I started 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back