Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #241 of 992
  My Finders had a piece of plastic covering the Filters keeping them in place.

I am working on a review at the moment.

It is taking me a bit longer than usual due the filters, its like having to review three different earphones so its taking three times as long ! :)

My early impressions are good though, these are very comfortable, built well and the sound is more than acceptable for the price range.
Also the look of them, and especially the cable - beautiful.

I am currently doing a bit of tip rolling: Sony, Sony hybrid, Spinfit, JVC spirals, Comply etc to test for variance in sound and perfect fit.

My packaging looked identical to that.  However, the plastic apparently wasn't glued well and separated from the cardboard and apparently the filters were loose in the holes that hold them. Wasn't a bid deal as I didn't lose them.  I was just very surprised because so many people complained about how hard they were to remove.

I like the Comply tips with these (first time I ever have liked Comply), gives superb isolation.  I'd like to get some Spinfits and give them a try with these as well as my RHA T20.  Comply tips never hold up very well.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #244 of 992
Quick impressions with the X1, for what they cost me they are absolutely brilliant, but there are two caveats:

1. you need a good seal, no two ways about it, bad seal = thin, bass light, metallic sound even with the white filters on, keep tip rolling till you get them properly inserted..

2. They need burn in, I received them early this morning, so I tried them on and even after I managed good seal with the double flange tips they really sounded very treble heavy, almost painful with no bass and very very grainy.
Left the house for a few hours, and attached them to my Pure II + on random playback for 3-4 hours. I tried them again now, the treble has rounded off nicely, tons of details and nice deep tight bass, I reckon they can improve further, might leave them on the pure with music blasting through tonight and try again tomorrow morning.

Besides the sound though what is impressive, is the build quality and the wire. I've paid more for the linum cable on my customs than the whole earphone cost me and from jack to connector the linum cable feels throwaway in comparison. The titanium shells look stunning and feel very solid. For 79$+ shipping this was an absolute steal and at 199$ it is great value.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #245 of 992
  Left the house for a few hours, and attached them to my Pure II + on random playback for 3-4 hours. I tried them again now, the treble has rounded off nicely, tons of details and nice deep tight bass, I reckon they can improve further, might leave them on the pure with music blasting through tonight and try again tomorrow morning.

I do something similar
Mojo and AK100 combo, with the volume turned up and leave it overnight, I will repeat this a few times to see if they make a difference

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #246 of 992
Just cracked opened a packet of JVC spiral tips. Loving them with the X1 Finders.

Smooth, good fit, creamy mids and decent but not overbearing bass.
White filters worn over the ear.

Tried stick, spinfit, sony and jvc spiral so a far.

I have complys but I prefer silicone.

Spinfit almost never works well on the medium for me. I'm thinking of getting the middle ranges of the spiral ears. So far I've found the Comply and stock tips to have the best sound (i.e. sound the same). The isolation is poor with the stock tips, though. I'll take these on my walk to work on Monday (1.5 hours of testing alongside traffic). I'll know how well the foamies isolate then.

To my surprise, I found the foamies comfortable. I'm not sure I'd want to pay to replace them every few months though. :|

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #247 of 992
  Spinfit almost never works well on the medium for me. I'm thinking of getting the middle ranges of the spiral ears. So far I've found the Comply and stock tips to have the best sound (i.e. sound the same). The isolation is poor with the stock tips, though. I'll take these on my walk to work on Monday (1.5 hours of testing alongside traffic). I'll know how well the foamies isolate then.

To my surprise, I found the foamies comfortable. I'm not sure I'd want to pay to replace them every few months though. :|

I have seem to have large ear canals and for that reason Comply (foam) tips suits my requirements and an expense I have put up with over the years with my Shure SE535
My main requirement other than SQ and decent bass is ISOLATION, travelling on the underground I need to cut out the drone of the train. Comply and foam tips I find do this best with comfort for me, in the past I have got the isolation on my SE535 with the triple flange tips, but not the comfort.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #248 of 992
Finder X1 – initial impressions
Had the Finder X1 for a little under a week now, and as they have managed to impress me so much in the short time I’ve had them I thought I’d pop some initial impressions up here for anyone who’s still thinking about pulling the trigger on these little beauties at the Indiegogo price while it’s still available. This is my first impression/review attempt, so please take it all with a pinch of salt – YMMV.
About me: newly minted audiophile, long time music fan and reasonably inept drummer. Listen to at least 2 hours of music a day on my commute to work – prefer IEMs for out and about, and a large pair of headphones when I have the house to myself and a glass in my hand. Recently started converting my library to FLAC and 320kbps MP3, and do most of my other listening through Spotify or Tidal HiFi. I am a fan of rock, acoustic (apart from folk) and sarcasm. Oh yeah, and a small amount of EDM. Not a basshead, but I do love a sound sig with some body to it.
Unboxing
For a first effort, the packaging is top-notch. The box and supplied earbuds and carry case definitely feels like a premium product, so once these things hit their expected RRP of $199 I don’t think anyone will feel short-changed by the packaging. I would also suggest that Gilly and the team consider sending the filter section of the box to the Rubik Foundation for consideration as their next puzzle if they ever get bored of cubes – getting a filter the size of a reality TV stars brain out of a foam bed shouldn’t make you feel like a contestant on The Cube! After resorting to a series of bladed instruments and tweezers (and narrowly avoiding graduating to a carving knife) I managed to get mine to safety, but the box didn’t fare so well.
Build quality
Again, for a first effort, the general build quality can’t be faulted. The shiny titanium shells of the IEM feel light, strong and incredibly well-made, and the thread on the filter system is so fine it is practically invisible. The cabling is silver mesh encased in a see through plastic jacket, and exudes the sort of quality you would expect to see on a high end CIEM. It is tangle free and microphonics are minimal when worn down, and pretty much non-existent when worn over-ear. The cable terminates in a straight 3.5mm jack which isn’t to everyone’s tastes, but it is reasonably short and finished in a matching material to the IEM shells so looks very slick. From a practical standpoint, the short strain relief makes it pretty practical as well, compared so some of the elephant-trunk style cable finishings I have seen on other products in the same price bracket. Speaking of strain relief, there has been a lot made of the apparent lack of strain relief where the cabling enters the IEM housing – apparently Echobox have a new solution to that where the strain relief is built inside the housing itself. If it does work as intended, then I think a lot of other firms will be following suit as it does add a very streamlined look to the product – fingers crossed it stands the test of time! The video on the Echobox site shows the housings being run over by a truck with no ill effects, and it is very easy to believe that once you have the product in your hand. The only possible downside I can see with these is that they will make other universal IEMs in your collection look like Fisher-Price toys if laid next to them, so may induce jealousy among other Head-Fi users!
Ergonomics and fit
The horn-shell design of the IEM is fairly unusual, but fits well into my ears and seems very comfortable and pretty secure (I have been told by my girlfriend and family on numerous occasions that I have a head the same size as a small cow so my ears are correspondingly large). The supplied silicon tips give a good fit, but I have found the enclosed COMPLY tips to provide the best sound isolation and overall security of fit for day to day use. I have worn these for extended periods of time with no need for adjustment or removal, so can see these easily getting through a whole day of use without causing any discomfort.
Sound quality
Test gear:
Sony NWz-A15 (unamped and with Fiio E6/Topping NX1/Brainwavz AP001)
LG G Flex 2 (as above)
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 (straight from the output jack)
Test tracks (mainly 320kbps MP3 or FLAC/Tidal HiFi):
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats – S.O.B. / Wasting Time
Blackberry Smoke – The Whipporwill (album)
Slash – Shadow Life (my reference for bass impact and attack, guitar “crunch”)
Otis Redding – various
Elvis – various
Leon Bridges – Coming Home (album)
Foy Vance – various
Blues Traveler
Daft Punk – Random Access Memories (album)
Sigma - various
Rudimental – various
Rodrigo y Gabriela - various

Filters used
White (bass) and black (reference) – I have tested all three and settled on the white (bass) so the below observations are based on both bass and reference, the red treble filters were just a touch too sharp for my preference.

Highs
There have been many comments on the bright signature of these IEMs on here already – my personal preference is for a headphone/IEM that has a good tight and punchy bass, full mids and a slightly rolled off treble so I wasn’t expecting to get on too well the highs. How wrong I was! Initially, the treble can be quite sharp, but after a few hours of use/burn in and settling on the COMPLY tips, it settled into a beautifully detailed and airy sound. Cymbals and hi-hat come across with a lovely sense of detail, and just enough “splash” – on some tracks it does actually make you realise that they are there in the background, rather than being drowned out by the other competing sounds. That being said, the treble never feels overpowering, and just adds to the feeling of detail retrieval that these IEMs bring. Also, despite the crystal clear highs, I have not managed to hit any sibilance, despite picking some deliberately screechy music to push them. Everything sounds clear and smooth, and I have not had any issues with fatigue so far despite prolonged listening sessions. Whether than means my ears have taken one too many hits from the sound system at my local gig venue over the years remains to be seen, but I find these to be a good blend between sharp (for detail and “air”) and smooth.
Mids
After a few hours use and burn in in between, the mids have settled into a reasonably neutral and detailed presentation. They aren’t as emphasised as the treble or the bass, but to my ears this doesn’t feel like a massively V or U shaped IEM. The detail retrieved is very good, and the tone it gives both male and female vocals in my opinion is what makes this IEM so special. Listening to Elvis through these made the words practically drip out of the microphone into my ears. Smooth and creamy has been used already to describe these, and I can only echo that. As a reasonably new convert to this hobby, it is still one of life’s small pleasures to me to hear the breath moving in and out of someone’s mouth when they are singing and the background echo from the recording room in the audio – all almost imperceptible, but clearly present when using these IEMs. When pushed with some more driving rock, they also impart a greater sense of energy and “fizz” than other IEMs I have used in the past. The crunch and drive of Slash’s guitar work is brought to the fore, and makes for an almost “live” presentation which really draws you into the music. I have found myself taking an extra lap of the local area on my walk back home after work on more than one occasion just to enjoy a few more songs.
Bass
Ever using the bass filters, these aren’t an IEM for those lovers of tooth-rattling boom at the expense of everything else (or Beats users, as they are otherwise known). For everyone else, I would say these are damn near perfect, however. The bass extends inhumanly low, with plenty of quality, but not at the expense of the rest of the sound. There is a slight mid-bass hump according to some more learned head-fi’ers out there, but I find that helps bring a good sense of depth to rock and other guitar music without bleeding into the main sound, so it works very well for me. The pace and control of the bass are both excellent, and listening to something like Daft Punk through these gives a great sense of sub-bass, without sacrificing any of the clarity in the mids and upper registers. There is punch aplenty, so for those lovers of crunching rock riffs, these will be perfect. The best way I can think of describing it is like the difference between a hot bath and a shower if the bass is the water – both equally satisfying, but once the shower stops, you aren’t left surrounded in a soup of water and other soapy scum until the plughole drains out, you just get piping hot amounts whenever the tap is on.
Difference between the filters
I tried all three, but the red (treble) were slightly too hot for me, and gave up a bit too much bass to make the presentation enjoyable – they are strictly for lovers of a thin and crisp sound. The difference between the reference and bass filters is small, and I would be perfectly happy if the IEM came tuned to either of these without the filter option. The reference filter still has plenty of bass punch, and is probably the most “audiophile” sound – the slightly lower bass presence lends an impression of air and space to the sound that is slightly bigger than the bass filter. The bass filter is my favourite – there is still heaps of detail and space in the sound, but it just lends a touch more substance to the riffs and a weightier timbre on the singer’s voice for me – it was a close call though.
Soundstage/separation
For an IEM, these have a good soundstage and excellent instrument separation. As with all IEMs, the stage is more akin to an evening in Ronnie Scott’s than a night out at the Grand Ol’ Opry or Webley Arena, but does allow enough room for the music to breathe freely. Separation and positioning is also excellent – listening to Leon Bridges, you can “feel” where in the room the backing singers are coming from, and where the sax player is standing, which all adds to the live presentation feeling this IEM manages to bring to most tracks. Individual separation is also excellent – it’s a well-worn cliché, but they will bring out details in tracks your other audio gear hasn’t, so it does feel like you are rediscovering old favourites. The clarity of the sound helps massively here too, picking up micro-detailing like the strumming of a guitar string and layering it right at the back of your mind so it adds to the music, rather than distracts from it. Hands down the most enjoyable IEM I have spent any time with yet.
Amping
As a newbie, I don’t have access to many amping solutions (yet!) but this IEM is pretty easy to drive, so I didn’t notice any major benefit to cranking up the power. My Sony A15 (much maligned of it’s anaemic output power) can happily drive these beauties louder than I want them to go, with bags of detail and dynamism to spare. Ditto for my LG phone – I’m sure some of the Chord Hugo or Mojo owners out there are probably chuckling at the thought of that or saying a prayer for my poor malnourished eardrums, but for day to day use, these are perfect with our without amping.
Comparisons
Trinity Audio Atlas – another tuneable filter IEM. These are another great set of buds, with a dual hybrid setup giving good bass and smooth buttery mids. The sound quality is similar to the Finders, but for my money, the Finders just edge it in terms of the mids (slightly more forward and smooth) and have a slightly less etched treble to my ears. The bass quantity is similar, with the Atlas winning out if you need a bass cannon in your ears due to the more “soupy” sound of the bassiest filter. Comfort is pretty much on par for both, with the Atlas being slightly better for gym wear due to the over the ear design and removable/Bluetooth cabling.
Flare Audio R2A – my previous daily driver, and an outright brilliant IEM for my personal tastes. The Finder wins on treble (being slightly more detailed than the smooth roll off sound of the Flares) and gives an overall sense of detail that the Flare just misses (probably due to the boosted treble in the Finder – the mind is a funny thing). In terms of comfort, the Flares just pinch it due to their tiny size. The only area that they win comfortably on is soundstage – the Flares are acknowledged as having a ludicrously large soundstage for an in-ear , so not really a fair contest there. That all being said, they are now being replaced by the Finders as my daily driver, so chalk another one up to the Echobox team.
Brainwavz S1 – no contest – now on eBay for sale!

Overall conclusion
To paraphrase someone else on here, at the price I paid for these on IDGG, it feels like I robbed the shop. Outstanding detailing, a beautiful and durable set of buds, top notch cabling and a memorable and overall enjoyable sound. I’m a backer on their DAP as well and if that turns out to be ½ as good as these pieces of kit, we are all in for a treat. Buy this IEM – these guys deserve to be rich!

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #249 of 992
  Overall conclusion
To paraphrase someone else on here, at the price I paid for these on IDGG, it feels like I robbed the shop. Outstanding detailing, a beautiful and durable set of buds, top notch cabling and a memorable and overall enjoyable sound. I’m a backer on their DAP as well and if that turns out to be ½ as good as these pieces of kit, we are all in for a treat. Buy this IEM – these guys deserve to be rich!

That's exactly what I told Gilly when I PMed him last night :) . Great review, been listening to them a lot more today and I agree with everything you said.

Jan 16, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #250 of 992
  Unboxing
 I would also suggest that Gilly and the team consider sending the filter section of the box to the Rubik Foundation for consideration as their next puzzle if they ever get bored of cubes – getting a filter the size of a reality TV stars brain out of a foam bed shouldn’t make you feel like a contestant on The Cube! After resorting to a series of bladed instruments and tweezers (and narrowly avoiding graduating to a carving knife) I managed to get mine to safety, but the box didn’t fare so w

PMSL Yes I know the feeling

Originally Posted by Jackpot77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Overall conclusion

Great review thank you.
You have Echoed my thoughts exactly (pun intended) .

I no longer use my SE535 IEM's or even my Grado SR325e's 

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #252 of 992
So having had these for a few days now I thought I would share my initial impressions.

Firstly, many many congratulations to all at echobox for a fabulous campaign and also to Gilly for frequenting these threads. The fact that the product arrived before time, and I have to admit I was pretty shocked last Tuesday to be woken by the postman delivering these IEMs, really fantastic and I am really pleased.

The packaging is awesome, the aesthetic is gorgeous and I, luckily, didn't have to destroy the packaging to get the filters out, therefore leaving the beautiful box intact. Already a great start.

The IEMs look beautiful, they feel glorious and I was really surprised how light they are ( however I must say my regular IEM is the RHA T20, which are quite heavy).

It felt a bit strange at first putting them in my ears as they are so small, and it felt a bit like the Etymotic as they are inserted quite deeply.

Out of the box I attached them to my IPod classic, via a fiio e12. My first go to track is always in recent times, Requiem for a Static King by A Winged Victory for the Sullen. I use this tune for its beautiful sparsity and minmalist feel, it also has a very low growling bass. Unfortunately it didn't sound to good, it was a bit tinny. So I did some tip rolling and settled in the tri-flange and left the phones to run for 6 hours.

It did make a bit of a difference. The seal was much better so the bass was tighter and far more apparent, the violins and the cello sparkled more. The burn in certainly helped.

Where these really shone I found were when I played an old obscure 60's psychedelic album by a band called The Feminine Complex, the lead female vocals were gorgeous, the instrument separation was marvellous, and even though this is an old record, it sounded fresh and lively.

From there I decided to move on to some more west cost psychedelia with live recordings from the Fillmore by Hot Tuna, Its a beautiful day and Jefferson airplane. Now these babies started to really shine. The vocals were warm yet retained a beautiful sparkle, violins sounded awesome and the bass was punchy, and bearing in mind these are recordings from almost 50 years ago, the overall soundstage and instrument separation was truly tremendous.

I finished off my initial listen with Live Rain by Howlin Rain and oh my word it was lovely.

These babies seem to really like a bit of fuzz and wah wah especially if it is live.

One major plus point was comfort. Yes the deep insertion was a bit intimidating at first, but after that they were a joy to wear. I had them in for a good 6 hours and there was absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. This is a major bonus for me, as my go to RHA T20 become uncomfortable after an hour of continuous use and I regularly spend up to 6 hours a day writing papers so I tend to have my IEMs in for long periods of time, do comfort is important.

Overall, after fearing the worst with the disappointment that my first tune did not sound too good, it turns out that these babies just need a good seal and a bit of burn in that and at $79 I should be arrested, that is what £55, steal is too tame a word.

Would I buy them for $199, that I don't know, if that is the equivalent price here so £150 I may do, if they retail at £179 then, even though they can be uncomfortable, I would plump for the RHA T20 as they do sound superior.

However I am very pleased with my purchase, and the very impressed with the whole campaign and wish Echobox all the best, they deserve to do well. I now eagerly await April and the Explorer as it is surely going to be awesome too.

Once again well done guys.

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #253 of 992
So having had these for a few days now I thought I would share my initial impressions.

Firstly, many many congratulations to all at echobox for a fabulous campaign and also to Gilly for frequenting these threads. The fact that the product arrived before time, and I have to admit I was pretty shocked last Tuesday to be woken by the postman delivering these IEMs, really fantastic and I am really pleased.

The packaging is awesome, the aesthetic is gorgeous and I, luckily, didn't have to destroy the packaging to get the filters out, therefore leaving the beautiful box intact. Already a great start.

The IEMs look beautiful, they feel glorious and I was really surprised how light they are ( however I must say my regular IEM is the RHA T20, which are quite heavy).

It felt a bit strange at first putting them in my ears as they are so small, and it felt a bit like the Etymotic as they are inserted quite deeply.

Out of the box I attached them to my IPod classic, via a fiio e12. My first go to track is always in recent times, Requiem for a Static King by A Winged Victory for the Sullen. I use this tune for its beautiful sparsity and minmalist feel, it also has a very low growling bass. Unfortunately it didn't sound to good, it was a bit tinny. So I did some tip rolling and settled in the tri-flange and left the phones to run for 6 hours.

It did make a bit of a difference. The seal was much better so the bass was tighter and far more apparent, the violins and the cello sparkled more. The burn in certainly helped.

Where these really shone I found were when I played an old obscure 60's psychedelic album by a band called The Feminine Complex, the lead female vocals were gorgeous, the instrument separation was marvellous, and even though this is an old record, it sounded fresh and lively.

From there I decided to move on to some more west cost psychedelia with live recordings from the Fillmore by Hot Tuna, Its a beautiful day and Jefferson airplane. Now these babies started to really shine. The vocals were warm yet retained a beautiful sparkle, violins sounded awesome and the bass was punchy, and bearing in mind these are recordings from almost 50 years ago, the overall soundstage and instrument separation was truly tremendous.

I finished off my initial listen with Live Rain by Howlin Rain and oh my word it was lovely.

These babies seem to really like a bit of fuzz and wah wah especially if it is live.

One major plus point was comfort. Yes the deep insertion was a bit intimidating at first, but after that they were a joy to wear. I had them in for a good 6 hours and there was absolutely no discomfort whatsoever. This is a major bonus for me, as my go to RHA T20 become uncomfortable after an hour of continuous use and I regularly spend up to 6 hours a day writing papers so I tend to have my IEMs in for long periods of time, do comfort is important.

Overall, after fearing the worst with the disappointment that my first tune did not sound too good, it turns out that these babies just need a good seal and a bit of burn in that and at $79 I should be arrested, that is what £55, steal is too tame a word.

Would I buy them for $199, that I don't know, if that is the equivalent price here so £150 I may do, if they retail at £179 then, even though they can be uncomfortable, I would plump for the RHA T20 as they do sound superior.

However I am very pleased with my purchase, and the very impressed with the whole campaign and wish Echobox all the best, they deserve to do well. I now eagerly await April and the Explorer as it is surely going to be awesome too.

Once again well done guys.

This is interesting, I'd still pick the X1 over the T20, I find detail rendition and low end definition better on the X1, mids might be a bit behind but it seems to me like it depends on the recording as I like Amy MacDonald more on the X1 than on the T20.

I also think they improved dramatically with overnight burn in as in the beginning just like you I found them thin, metallic and hollow. I need to try the reference filters to see if that will affect the mids because if it does then in my book there is no contest.

Interesting choice of music btw :)

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #254 of 992
This is interesting, I'd still pick the X1 over the T20, I find detail rendition and low end definition better on the X1, mids might be a bit behind but it seems to me like it depends on the recording as I like Amy MacDonald more on the X1 than on the T20.

I also think they improved dramatically with overnight burn in as in the beginning just like you I found them thin, metallic and hollow. I need to try the reference filters to see if that will affect the mids because if it does then in my book there is no contest.

Interesting choice of music btw :)

Interesting how many of us own both the Finder and the T20. I have a hard time saying which I prefer. They have quite different sound signatures but both are extremely competent. They are so close in skill that it basically comes down to the recording as to which is preferred. My two favorite releases right now are Don Henley's "Cass County" and the Bottle Rockets "South Broadway Athletics Club". The Finders excel and beat the T20 on Henley, while the T20 shine on the Bottle Rockets CD. Nice to have two such excellent and affordable IEM's to get maximum enjoyment out of different recordings.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #255 of 992
thefunkygibbon
Titanium is a lightweight metal.

Totally agree with all about the cable. Love it.

While I think these are fantastic earphones, they didn't end up as my daily drivers. They remind me of the 1plus2 in that while they sound fantastic, they just feel a bit robotic, as in that for all their strong technical traits, I don't really feel the emotion or connection to the music.

This is a very subjective thing, obviously, so clearly YMMV. And this is really taking nothing away from a fantastic product, a complete package really, that ticks off many boxes and I'm sure many, myself included will enjoy.

Gilly87 and for what I'm assuming is a first product, it's exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back