Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Jan 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #226 of 992
Got both my code and my Finders today. Listening to Regina Spector - Fidelity right now. Boy does that bass drop low and maintain special texture right out of the box with the black filter and stock medium silicone tips. Her voice sounds abso-fracking-lutely gorgeous. I've gotten four sets of headphones this week: Trinity Audio Atlas, Final Audio Design Heaven V, 64Audio X2, and these. Of all of them these have the most detailed presentation and easily the best bass and treble extension. I'm really enjoying these right out of the box. I can't wait to hear what these sound like with some burn-in.

Also, tell Sam to get some sleep @Gilly87. He responded to my query at 5AM Pacific Standard Time.

Happy listening, all. This is a pretty special first effort. I feel like I robbed the audio store.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #227 of 992
Just opened the (beautiful/professional) packaging for the Finders - so stoked to listen!  

Question: the box states that it includes "Metal Adjust Rings - Bass" and "Metal Adjust Rings - Treble."  Because "Metal Adjust Rings - Reference" is not listed on the box, and the black and red filters are nestled tightly in the package, one would assume that the packaged filters are the "Bass" and "Treble" rings mentioned on the side of the box, while the preinstalled white filters are the Reference filters.  However, I read in this thread that the white filters are actually the Bass filters, while the black are Reference, and the Red are Treble.

Can someone please clear this up once and for all?  Granted, whichever sounds best to my ears is all that really matters, but I'd still like to know which color is intended for which filter.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #228 of 992
  Just opened the (beautiful/professional) packaging for the Finders - so stoked to listen!  

Question: the box states that it includes "Metal Adjust Rings - Bass" and "Metal Adjust Rings - Treble."  Because "Metal Adjust Rings - Reference" is not listed on the box, and the black and red filters are nestled tightly in the package, one would assume that the packaged filters are the "Bass" and "Treble" rings mentioned on the side of the box, while the preinstalled white filters are the Reference filters.  However, I read in this thread that the white filters are actually the Bass filters, while the black are Reference, and the Red are Treble.

Can someone please clear this up once and for all?  Granted, whichever sounds best to my ears is all that really matters, but I'd still like to know which color is intended for which filter.

Black - Reference
White - Bass
Red - Treble

Our box is ****ed ;-; Needs a total workover. Already on it!

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #229 of 992
  Got both my code and my Finders today. Listening to Regina Spector - Fidelity right now. Boy does that bass drop low and maintain special texture right out of the box with the black filter and stock medium silicone tips. Her voice sounds abso-fracking-lutely gorgeous. I've gotten four sets of headphones this week: Trinity Audio Atlas, Final Audio Design Heaven V, 64Audio X2, and these. Of all of them these have the most detailed presentation and easily the best bass and treble extension. I'm really enjoying these right out of the box. I can't wait to hear what these sound like with some burn-in.

Also, tell Sam to get some sleep @Gilly87. He responded to my query at 5AM Pacific Standard Time.

Happy listening, all. This is a pretty special first effort. I feel like I robbed the audio store.

Lol will do. He's very motivated ^_^

Jan 13, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #231 of 992
  2Pac - God Bless the Dead is a bass reference track for me. Friggin nailed it.

Thanks to Tidal and the chaps at Echobox 2Pac - 'God Bless the dead' and others tunes shall be listened to at my leisure

Black - Reference
White - Bass
Red - Treble

Doh

I though black were Bass and changed without even listening to the White filter, well a quick listen

Boy does that bass drop low and maintain special texture right out of the box with the black filter and stock medium silicone tips. I've gotten four sets of headphones this week: Trinity Audio Atlas, Final Audio Design Heaven V, 64Audio X2, and these. Of all of them these have the most detailed presentation and easily the best bass and treble extension. I'm really enjoying these right out of the box. I can't wait to hear what these sound like with some burn-in.

Loving these Finder X1's too. Great soundstage and the bass (I'm a reformed basshead) recently rediscovering Jazz and Classical, but even with classical
it rocks, I'm just listening to 'David Watkins - J.S.Bach the Cello Suites' (24 bit/ 96Khz) D**N those low notes really rattle in my head (in a good way)

HD800's and Shure SE535's taking a backseat for a while while I 'Burn' these bad boys In

ps I too am in the process of robbing that same store 
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #232 of 992

Black - Reference
White - Bass
Red - Treble

Our box is ****ed ;-; Needs a total workover. Already on it!

I don't think the box is all that bad.  Although I didn't have the trouble getting the other filters out that most people did.    The only recommendations I would have would be to include a bit of info describing each of the filters, and some type of small container (I use a very small plastic centrifuge tube) to keep the filters from getting lost.  If the comply tips are going to be a permanent inclusion, they should also be in the Finder box. A bonus, although not really necessary, would be to include frequency plots using each of the three filters.  RHA does this, although the scaling they use makes it rather uninformative.  That sounds like a lot, but overall I rather liked the packaging.

Jan 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #233 of 992
I must be the only one...My filters are so loose they fell out of the box, no digging or prodding needed. I need to be careful not to lose any now. By the way I haven't changed any filters so far, as I am enjoying the ones they came with. White - Bass. They look great & sound exactly as I imagined them to. I am enjoying these. Very comfortable to wear. If anything...It's taking them out of the ears that's proving a little tricky.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #234 of 992
  I must be the only one...My filters are so loose they fell out of the box, no digging or prodding needed. I need to be careful not to lose any now. By the way I haven't changed any filters so far, as I am enjoying the ones they came with. White - Bass. They look great & sound exactly as I imagined them to. I am enjoying these. Very comfortable to wear. If anything...It's taking them out of the ears that's proving a little tricky.

No, you're not the only one.  Mine also fell out and I didn't even realize it.   I had read all the posts about people having to tear the packaging apart to get them out, so I didn't even attempt to remove them as I was planning to just burn the Finders in for a while. I (probably unwisely) unboxed them in my car and I didn't know they had fallen out until I went back out to the car and found them laying on the seat.  I tried all three but I also settled on the bass filter, although the reference one was quite good too.  I might go back and try the reference again.   With the bass filter there is actually more bass than on my other favorite IEM, RHA T-20.  Its definitely more than neutral but the quality of the bass is excellent, rather addicting. I also agree taking them out of your ears is a little tricky; I just grab onto the point of the horn and pull.  Definitely want to resist grabbing them by the cord or where the cord attaches.  I really like the quality of the cable,  its the most supple and least microphonic of all of my IEM cables.

Jan 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #236 of 992
These are so good I almost wish I had ordered a second pair at the $79 price. I believe Echobox is working on an IEM with a detachable cable and a lifetime warranty on the earpieces. Don't know if there there are other changes as well. I hope the keep the same cable design with the new connectors, it's the nicest cable I've come across

Same here, wish I had ordered the package with Echobox Explorer and finder, then Finders by themselves

Has anyone tried Spinfits with these if so do Spinfits only come in one fitting as I see CP100 only on the linked website on this thread.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #237 of 992

These are so good I almost wish I had ordered a second pair at the $79 price. I believe Echobox is working on an IEM with a detachable cable and a lifetime warranty on the earpieces. Don't know if there there are other changes as well. I hope the keep the same cable design with the new connectors, it's the nicest cable I've come across

Same here, wish I had ordered the package with Echobox Explorer and finder, then Finders by themselves

Has anyone tried Spinfits with these if so do Spinfits only come in one fitting as I see CP100 only on the linked website on this thread.

Same page. I'm absolutely loving these. Listened to David Bowie's - Blackstar, Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly, Queen - A Night at the Opera. The hallmark is the excellent detail and tight deep bass while having an engaging sound. Great layering on these, too. I debated on getting the first package that went up, as I saw it early enough and then didn't as I wasn't sure about my budget--the Tidal swung me. In the UK, when you budget in the 3 months of free Tidal (£19.99 per month-$86.43), I feel like I robbed Echobox and smacked them in the face with a chair WWE style. At $13.57 (£9ish) these are the best deal that I've ever gotten in HeadFi.

I haven't tried Spinfits. Spinfits come in three sizes. I've found that the back edge of the Spinfits isn't far back enough and I end up feeling it unless I have some really shallow insertion buds. So far I'm using the stock silicones, but they are a bit flimsy, so I think I'll be trying the RHA tips (they are just good tips). I'm reticent to try the foamies as I've hated foamies every time I've tried them, just too firm for me. I may try them on these, though, as they could use a bit more isolation.

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #238 of 992

No, you're not the only one.  Mine (filters) also fell out and I didn't even realize it.  

My Finders had a piece of plastic covering the Filters keeping them in place.

I am working on a review at the moment.

It is taking me a bit longer than usual due the filters, its like having to review three different earphones so its taking three times as long ! :)

My early impressions are good though, these are very comfortable, built well and the sound is more than acceptable for the price range.
Also the look of them, and especially the cable - beautiful.

I am currently doing a bit of tip rolling: Sony, Sony hybrid, Spinfit, JVC spirals, Comply etc to test for variance in sound and perfect fit.

Jan 14, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #239 of 992
  Same page. I'm absolutely loving these. Listened to David Bowie's - Blackstar, Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly, Queen - A Night at the Opera. The hallmark is the excellent detail and tight deep bass while having an engaging sound. Great layering on these, too. I debated on getting the first package that went up, as I saw it early enough and then didn't as I wasn't sure about my budget--the Tidal swung me. In the UK, when you budget in the 3 months of free Tidal (£19.99 per month-$86.43), I feel like I robbed Echobox and smacked them in the face with a chair WWE style. At $13.57 (£9ish) these are the best deal that I've ever gotten in HeadFi.

I haven't tried Spinfits. Spinfits come in three sizes. I've found that the back edge of the Spinfits isn't far back enough and I end up feeling it unless I have some really shallow insertion buds. So far I'm using the stock silicones, but they are a bit flimsy, so I think I'll be trying the RHA tips (they are just good tips). I'm reticent to try the foamies as I've hated foamies every time I've tried them, just too firm for me. I may try them on these, though, as they could use a bit more isolation.

I swear by Comply foam tips , have them for my SE535's which offer me the best comfort and stay in place too, but I'm always willing to try something new. I have found I have big Ear Canals as only large will do the job of staying sealed, the other tips in the box don't quite seal enough to give me the BASS I am currently experiencing. It's all controlled and IMO only bring out what is there already, just with such detail

Just finished listening to  "To Pimp a Butterfly" on the journey home from work tonight

No I didn't care if the young blonde woman to my right was smiling and probably wanted to chat on my journey tonight, I'm a faithful type of chap and unfortunately for the lovely lady, Finder X1 and Kendrick won out 
L3000.gif

Not only that the noise isolation was A+ so couldn't hear her anyway.

Thanks to the Echobox Team and Tidal the deal as you state was just too good a deal to miss (well I did miss out on the 6 mth Tidal offer after all)

D*****N plus these Finder X1 still haven't burnt in fully

I am working on a review at the moment.

It is taking me a bit longer than usual due the filters, its like having to review three different earphones so its taking three times as long ! :)

My early impressions are good though, these are very comfortable, built well and the sound is more than acceptable for the price range.
Also the look of them, and especially the cable - beautiful.

I am currently doing a bit of tip rolling: Sony, Sony hybrid, Spinfit, JVC spirals, Comply etc to test for variance in sound and perfect fit.

Looking forward to your review, should make interesting reading.
A few suggestions of tips to try too 
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #240 of 992
Just cracked opened a packet of JVC spiral tips. Loving them with the X1 Finders.

Smooth, good fit, creamy mids and decent but not overbearing bass.
White filters worn over the ear.

Tried stock, spinfit, sony and jvc spiral so a far.

I have complys but I prefer silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back