Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #46 of 358
Here is a short write-up of a few more issues.  I will put them in a spoiler box so they do not take up a lot of space,

[size=small]3/10/17[/size]
[size=small]So, another issue that could be fixed is the clock. It does not seem to working correctly. I was running mine in auto update mode, but it does not update when the unit is asleep, so if you go to the lock screen it shows the time it had when it was locked. Once you unlock and it connects to the wireless it updates. If I turn it to manually set the time it resets to Jan at 12am 2001 or so when I turn the unit off and then back on.[/size]
[size=small]I just had my first instance of internet connectivity not working. I had turned wireless and Bluetooth off the preserve battery while listening last night and to test interference. This morning I started the unit at work. I turned wireless on and connected to the network. I started Tidal and it “seemed” to log on but when I went to my music it told me there was no internet connection. I tried refreshing the connection in Tidal but it failed. I tried the browser to verify internet connectivity but it also failed. I rebooted the unit. But still had not connectivity. I then went decided to see if the clock would update automatically so went and set it to auto update (it had been set to manual the night before while I was looking into the clock issue. I then went back to tidal and tried to play a track. It worked. The Tidal server was then also available. Not sure if the auto update of the time is a factor or not?? Does it keep the internet active while the device is asleep? Does it “refresh” the connection on start-up?[/size]
[size=small]I will try a few more investigations to see if I can find out exactly happened here.[/size]
[size=small]3/11/17[/size]
[size=small]Another issue with WiFi did not connect so the clock would not update and could not get to Tidal or use the browser. This was with the clock set to Auto so my earlier hypothesis is not correct. Tried rebooting and turning WiFi On and off a few times to no avail. Ended up resetting the network connections. What is curious is that it seemed like all that did was get rid of the pass word for by WiFi as the “saved” network still showed mine in the list. But after entering the pass word it did not connect. I then used the “add network” to add it back in and then it started to work again.[/size]
[size=small]The clock still does not update unless it has a working internet access.[/size]

Still loving the sound. Other than the clicks…
I have had a few people give me funny looks when they see it lying on my desk. HEH…
beerchug.gif

A few have listened to it and were very shocked at how good it sounds.
It also makes for a good pocket hand warmer.
biggrin.gif

Roxanne's sound very nice, as expected from my previous testing with the show units, no detectable hiss for me, maybe a slightly narrower sound stage but not anything to worry about.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 358
Fingers crossed for update after CanJam Singapore fixing our issues. The player does indeed sound excellent!

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #49 of 358
  Here is a short write-up of a few more issues.  I will put them in a spoiler box so they do not take up a lot of space,

[size=small]3/10/17[/size]
[size=small]So, another issue that could be fixed is the clock. It does not seem to working correctly. I was running mine in auto update mode, but it does not update when the unit is asleep, so if you go to the lock screen it shows the time it had when it was locked. Once you unlock and it connects to the wireless it updates. If I turn it to manually set the time it resets to Jan at 12am 2001 or so when I turn the unit off and then back on.[/size]
[size=small]I just had my first instance of internet connectivity not working. I had turned wireless and Bluetooth off the preserve battery while listening last night and to test interference. This morning I started the unit at work. I turned wireless on and connected to the network. I started Tidal and it “seemed” to log on but when I went to my music it told me there was no internet connection. I tried refreshing the connection in Tidal but it failed. I tried the browser to verify internet connectivity but it also failed. I rebooted the unit. But still had not connectivity. I then went decided to see if the clock would update automatically so went and set it to auto update (it had been set to manual the night before while I was looking into the clock issue. I then went back to tidal and tried to play a track. It worked. The Tidal server was then also available. Not sure if the auto update of the time is a factor or not?? Does it keep the internet active while the device is asleep? Does it “refresh” the connection on start-up?[/size]
[size=small]I will try a few more investigations to see if I can find out exactly happened here.[/size]
[size=small]3/11/17[/size]
[size=small]Another issue with WiFi did not connect so the clock would not update and could not get to Tidal or use the browser. This was with the clock set to Auto so my earlier hypothesis is not correct. Tried rebooting and turning WiFi On and off a few times to no avail. Ended up resetting the network connections. What is curious is that it seemed like all that did was get rid of the pass word for by WiFi as the “saved” network still showed mine in the list. But after entering the pass word it did not connect. I then used the “add network” to add it back in and then it started to work again.[/size]
[size=small]The clock still does not update unless it has a working internet access.[/size]

Still loving the sound. Other than the clicks…
I have had a few people give me funny looks when they see it lying on my desk. HEH…
beerchug.gif

A few have listened to it and were very shocked at how good it sounds.
It also makes for a good pocket hand warmer.
biggrin.gif

Roxanne's sound very nice, as expected from my previous testing with the show units, no detectable hiss for me, maybe a slightly narrower sound stage but not anything to worry about.

Did you email these issues to Sam (@makethemusic)?

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #51 of 358
I've had a weird problem two days in a row now. Listen to some music. Pause music and pack away the Explorer. Pick it up hours later to see it completely drained of battery. Android battery management don't know what used the power just that something did. So second day in a row I've not been able to use my Explorer when I need it :frowning2:

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #52 of 358
I've had a weird problem two days in a row now. Listen to some music. Pause music and pack away the Explorer. Pick it up hours later to see it completely drained of battery. Android battery management don't know what used the power just that something did. So second day in a row I've not been able to use my Explorer when I need it :frowning2:

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I brought up this problem with them already, on my end the Explorer is unable to do a standby mode. It gets warm and crashes, and the battery drains. So you have to either just leave the music playing if you're only away for a few minutes, or leave it connected a charging point, or switch it off until you need to use it later on. Hope that helps!

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #53 of 358
I brought up this problem with them already, on my end the Explorer is unable to do a standby mode. It gets warm and crashes, and the battery drains. So you have to either just leave the music playing if you're only away for a few minutes, or leave it connected a charging point, or switch it off until you need to use it later on. Hope that helps!

Unfortunately you are correct, and yes those are the best work around a for the moment. We are looking into the problem and trying our best to find a solution. Will keep you all posted!

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #55 of 358
That's crap, you would think a sleep/standby mode would be normal for an Android device?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Well, you might be surprised at how difficult power management and regulation is, and also how much it varies depending on hardware and PCB layout. It is not a standard feature of Android, but something that is more specific to each device.

We are working on a solution though, so hopefully we will eliminate the "crap" soon and replace it with a "whole lot of awesome" :wink:

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #56 of 358
Anybody else seeing an odd behavior where the volume display on-screen occasionally jumps in the wrong direction? Like I'm steadily turning the knob to one side to increase the volume, and periodically, the volume will drop instead of increase?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #57 of 358
Anybody else seeing an odd behavior where the volume display on-screen occasionally jumps in the wrong direction? Like I'm steadily turning the knob to one side to increase the volume, and periodically, the volume will drop instead of increase?

Sometimes there is a "software hiccup" where it does this, really not sure why but if I had to guess it would be processor lag. Funny thing is, the volume keeps going up regardless, at least for me!

Anyone else have feedback on this?

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #58 of 358
Sometimes there is a "software hiccup" where it does this, really not sure why but if I had to guess it would be processor lag. Funny thing is, the volume keeps going up regardless, at least for me!

Anyone else have feedback on this?

I noticed it too. Also noticed the battery level will jump up and down. Sometimes go from the 40s back up to 99%

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #59 of 358
Jumps for me every so often, have been compiling a list of the issues to send you and this is why I have not mentioned anything. But as makethemusic said the volume actually goes the right direction even if the indicator does not, the indicator will jump to the correct setting half a second later or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back