Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #61 of 358
I noticed it too. Also noticed the battery level will jump up and down. Sometimes go from the 40s back up to 99%

Yes that is another glitch, the battery level is really not accurate at all. It can take 3-4 hours to drop from 100% to 80 and then within 30-40 minutes it goes down all the way to 15% and stay stay there for a couple more hours. On top of that there is another issue whereas it does not look like it has charged if you plug it in while switched on. I left it to charge overnight turned it on in the morning and it was 35% charged left it on and within 10 minutes it was showing 55% charge, took it out to the gym and shopping and for two hours it was well above 50% plugged it in to charge when I came back and within minutes it was showing 80% charge.

So either it was not charging correctly when switched off, or it is charging but the meter is not displaying the charge correctly.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #62 of 358
  Yes that is another glitch, the battery level is really not accurate at all. It can take 3-4 hours to drop from 100% to 80 and then within 30-40 minutes it goes down all the way to 15% and stay stay there for a couple more hours. On top of that there is another issue whereas it does not look like it has charged if you plug it in while switched on. I left it to charge overnight turned it on in the morning and it was 35% charged left it on and within 10 minutes it was showing 55% charge, took it out to the gym and shopping and for two hours it was well above 50% plugged it in to charge when I came back and within minutes it was showing 80% charge.

So either it was not charging correctly when switched off, or it is charging but the meter is not displaying the charge correctly.

I think in this case it is a matter of both. The Explorer does well with a strong charging current, so using something like an iPhone block isn't going to be as great as using a Samsung quick-charge block or anything similar. We are aware of the software issues regarding the battery, however, and are working hard to solve this issue. :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #63 of 358
I think in this case it is a matter of both. The Explorer does well with a strong charging current, so using something like an iPhone block isn't going to be as great as using a Samsung quick-charge block or anything similar. We are aware of the software issues regarding the battery, however, and are working hard to solve this issue. :)

Got it I will try with something a bit more recent -btw much less of an issue with a newer flat iPhone plug than a chunky iPad mini one :)

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #67 of 358
How many gigabytes of RAM does everyone have? It looks like I have 1 but isn't it supposed to be 2?

1 GB according to the system settings. You're right that the specs on the website say it should have 2 GB RAM.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #69 of 358
can someone post sound impressions to one of the known daps out there like fiio x5iii, cowon p1, ak daps , fiio x7 or maybe mojo

so how much ram does it have then?

best wishes 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #71 of 358
There's a Mojo DAP? I thought they were amps like my beloved Oppo HA-2.

there is no mojo dap i just added to the mix if anyone can compare the sound of explorer to daps and mojo

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #72 of 358
I have an HA-2 and a Fiio E17 to test the Explorer against, but I'm holding off to see if they get the hiss and pop issues worked out. If not, it won't be much of a comparison. I use mobile amps for better depth and clarity of sound more than volume.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #73 of 358
I have an HA-2 and a Fiio E17 to test the Explorer against, but I'm holding off to see if they get the hiss and pop issues worked out. If not, it won't be much of a comparison. I use mobile amps for better depth and clarity of sound more than volume.

so strange to not see one detailed feedback, it seems those issues are holding many off from doing a write up of impressions

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #74 of 358
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't want to slam a promising product before making an attempt to determine whether my problems might be specific to my unit or common to others as well. Also, if these are issues that can be addressed with a firmware update, it's better to give them a chance to do so.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:18 AM Post #75 of 358
So the issues of hiss/crackle, which i only get when not in flight mode, battery and some software stuff aside, I can honestly say I'm really satisfied with the sound of my Explorer!

I'm using it almost purely with earbuds, as they are my main type of headphones. So far I've listened to it with VE Zen 2.0, Ty Hi-Z 32s, RY04 and my Sennheiser HD650.

I'm not a big reviewer or anything, but i feel i get a good coherent sound, a bit of warmth and good control.

This is based purely on flight mode use! 

So thank you Echobox for providing a really nice product, I hope you fix the issues so the Explorer can live up to it's full potential!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back