ECC32/33 as a replacement for 6SN7, worth the $$ ?
Jan 28, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 21
What you want is the tung sol 2c51 with 6bx7gt/6bx7gt's as the outputs. That is what I switched to in my older MPX3's when my adapters arrived. This combo elevates the sound well beyond anything I have achieved before with these amps. The sound is fast, clean, dynamic and the clarity and refinement have me shaking my head. I had to switch to a lower output source to get the amps completely quiet .... and once I did the amp is dead quiet. My normal sources are very high output and well above the normal 2.0 volt cd standard; anything around 2.0 volts will be fine.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #17 of 21
Thanks Earl...
That sounds very tempting
evil_smiley.gif

I'm using the moded SB3 as a source, which basically has lower output voltage than (the standard) 2V, part of the mod is to bypass the output stage(as long as some other things), so I don't think that will be a problem
cool.gif

Although I would like to keep my current "Mullard E182CC", as they are really a hell of an output tubes, they really are what I am looking for: super clean, detailed, punchy and deep bass with a very nice extension.
but I'll try the other tubes just for the heck of it
evil_smiley.gif

I guess I need to talk to Mikhail about adapters and tubes ?
Do you think he will accept the Loctal to Octal adapter+the 7N7/7AF7 Tubes, trading them with 2C51 ECC adapter and some 6bl7gt/6bx7gt ?

I don't need those tubes/adapter anymore, they were cool with the other cans I had (HF-1, DT880, etc..), but now that AT are dominating in my realm, it's useless for me.

What are the prices of those tubes ? 2c51 and 6bl7gt/6bx7gt ?

THanks a lot earl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I dont want warm
I want detailed, open, airy with deep&punchy bass, that's the most important"

If that's the case, definitely give some of the "9 pin miniatures" a try. They tend to be less warm and more detailed, with more air around the instruments. I liked the 6414 and the 12az7 tubes. Just be aware that the 12az7 may have an high enough amplification factor that you may encounter some noise from them. I didn't have that problem in my MPX, but some have. I find that either of these tubes (6414 or 12az7) work well with the 6bl7's as outputs, since these tubes can supply ample bass.

- augustwest

What kind of adapter do I need ? is it the same ECC as for the 2c51 ?

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Earl...
That sounds very tempting
evil_smiley.gif

I'm using the moded SB3 as a source, which basically has lower output voltage than (the standard) 2V, part of the mod is to bypass the output stage(as long as some other things), so I don't think that will be a problem
cool.gif

Although I would like to keep my current "Mullard E182CC", as they are really a hell of an output tubes, they really are what I am looking for: super clean, detailed, punchy and deep bass with a very nice extension.
but I'll try the other tubes just for the heck of it
evil_smiley.gif

I guess I need to talk to Mikhail about adapters and tubes ?
Do you think he will accept the Loctal to Octal adapter+the 7N7/7AF7 Tubes, trading them with 2C51 ECC adapter and some 6bl7gt/6bx7gt ?

I don't need those tubes/adapter anymore, they were cool with the other cans I had (HF-1, DT880, etc..), but now that AT are dominating in my realm, it's useless for me.

What are the prices of those tubes ? 2c51 and 6bl7gt/6bx7gt ?

THanks a lot earl.

What kind of adapter do I need ? is it the same ECC as for the 2c51 ?

Since he is business to sell things and make a living I doubt he is going to want to do a trade.
icon10.gif
I would just list the adapters and tubes and sell them.

The 2c51 has its own adapter. The adapter allows you to use the 2c51/ 5670/we396. The 2c51/ 5670's are inexpensive at $5-6. The Bendix 2c51/5670 and WE brands will be considerably more expensive. The 6bl7gta tube runs $8-10 and the 6bx7gt is slightly more expensive at $12-14 .... here in the US. Again, the 6bl7/6bx7 tubes drop right in; no adapter necessary.

Jan 28, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 21
Earl, I see, I will indeed, put those tubes and adapter on sale, it's time to move on
tongue.gif

Have you tried the more expensive Bendix 2c51 or WE396 ?
Do they worth the extra $$$ ? how big is the cost anyway ?

I'll probably go with Mikhail for tubes, I don't feel like going out to the jungle and try to hunt some, the wilderness is not the way I like to get tubes :p

I got it for the 6bl7gt/6bx7gt, no adapter needed.
Any special companies/type you recommend to attain the sound I like (you already know what it is
icon10.gif
) ?

Thanks for everything
wink.gif

Omer,

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earl, I see, I will indeed, put those tubes and adapter on sale, it's time to move on
tongue.gif

Have you tried the more expensive Bendix 2c51 or WE396 ?
Do they worth the extra $$$ ? how big is the cost anyway ?

I'll probably go with Mikhail for tubes, I don't feel like going out to the jungle and try to hunt some, the wilderness is not the way I like to get tubes :p

I got it for the 6bl7gt/6bx7gt, no adapter needed.
Any special companies/type you recommend to attain the sound I like (you already know what it is
icon10.gif
) ?

Thanks for everything
wink.gif

Omer,

First, the 6bx7gt's have a cleaner and brighter sound in general vs the 6bl7gta. I think you would prefer the 6bx7gt to the 6bl7gta .... which has more tone and richness. All the 6bl7gta/6bx7gt tubes, respectively, have a very similar character. I have some from GE and Sylvania in each type and I have noted no clear preferance.

The Bendix 2c51/5670 is a very nice tube but I think I like the Tung Sol better. When I find the Bendix I definitely buy them though. The Tung Sol is a little brighter than the Bendix. But you have to watch you dont go to far or the tube can get analytical. I balance out the TS 2c51 and 6bx7gt with a warmer gold alloy IC. I use a silvery hybrid with the TS2c51 and the 6bl7gta's.

Back to your question .... some of the less expensive 2c51/5670's are excellent. But the Bendix is my 2nd favorite to the Tung Sol tubes. I do think the premium versions are worth the money because this tube is so good. Get them cheap and they are a fantastic bargain .... pay more and they are worth the cost.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #21 of 21
Earl,
Once again, you know exactly what I seek and you continue to amaze me with your knowledge and experience
basshead.gif

Kudos !
wink.gif

I will try both 6bx7gt and 6bl7gt (a pair of each) as I'm afraid that the AT(W5K/W11JPN) cans will sound too bright, they are on the edge with some recordings, so I am walking on a thin line of detail, clean and air vs. warm, coloration and bright.
Despite all that, it seems like the 6bx7gt will be more my cup of tea.

I got to have backup when it comes to tubes
evil_smiley.gif

I will think about the Bendix, when I'll see their price, anyway I'll go with regular/common 2c51 to see what it sounds like.

Spanx a lot Earl
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back