ECC32/33 as a replacement for 6SN7, worth the $$ ?
Jan 27, 2007 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I was just wondering if anyone here tried ECC32/33 as replacement for 6SN7 ?
After switching from 5687 to Mullard E182CC, I started thinking about the Mullard ECC32/33.
Maybe it's just MPX3, but I really like their sound and quality.

The difference with the output was too big for me to stay apathetic, the problem is, as with any "good" thing", that they cost a lot, about 100-200$ for a single tube, that's quite some for a just 1 tube, which I frankly don't know if it will improve anything...
Some tubes I found at eBay:
ECC 33
ECC32

Right now I am using Hytron 6SN7GT, I really like it with my new W11JPN, the bass is great, though some tubes sound more open/detailed (like 7AF7) and relaxed, this one has a slight coloration in the mid, but it's kind of cool
tongue.gif

Other tubes I Currently have:
about 2 7AF7
some 7N7
various 6SN7/GT/A/B including Sylvania, EH, Tung Sol, and some other ones.

Your comments are more than welcome on this matter.

P.S,
Recommendation on where to get good tubes in a reasonable price are more than welcome.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 21
My favorite combination is: 7062/E180CC + 2x 6SN7s (NU grey glass, RCA grey glass, Sylvania "bad boy", KenRad Vt-231).

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 21
thanks for the comment,
But, what amp are you talking about ?
and I am speaking on the 6SN7 in terms of a gain tube, and not output, please consider this as you reply
eggosmile.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 21
I have a pair of ATH-W1000s and also really love the Hytron tube, specifically the 1951 Hytron paired with the Sylvania 5687 tubes. I don't find any coloaration in the mids, just a very detailed, transparent sound. Another tube to try the the Audio-Technicas in my opinion is the Tung Sol clear-glass 6SN7GTA with "mouse ears"... quite excellent tube, and very nice highs. Which version of the Hytron tube are you using? Also, have you tried the Hytron with the 6bl7gta tubes yet?

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 21
If you can afford it, should be fun to try. But 'worth' is relative and personal
smily_headphones1.gif

If you like Hytron GT, TS GT Grey Plate might work well.

Also, have you looked into ECC adaptor? 12xx7 family offers a wide variety with relatively lower price than 6sn7s.

I have not heard the other ECC apaptors like 2c51, but others should be able to chime in :p

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 21
tagosaku:
I think I might have TS Grey plate, might be relabeled, I might just take pictures and you'll tell for yourself.
About the other ECC adapters, I don't know if they fit will work on the MPX3, I thought it was only for the Extreme
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I don't want to try too much tubes, and for now I think I will settle with the 5687 tube adapter and the Octal->Loctal adapter (for the 7N7 and ETC..) , though I just made some tuberolling and I think I will sell the (7N7) adapter and Tubes, they were not as good as some other tubes, so why keeping them ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of ATH-W1000s and also really love the Hytron tube, specifically the 1951 Hytron paired with the Sylvania 5687 tubes. I don't find any coloaration in the mids, just a very detailed, transparent sound. Another tube to try the the Audio-Technicas in my opinion is the Tung Sol clear-glass 6SN7GTA with "mouse ears"... quite excellent tube, and very nice highs. Which version of the Hytron tube are you using? Also, have you tried the Hytron with the 6bl7gta tubes yet?

I don't really have clue what kind of Hytron it is, might be the 1951, who knows, again, I think I will make a pictures of all my currently available tubes.

I would like to see the picture of the Sylvania 6SN7GTA with "mouse ears"
icon10.gif

AFAIK, 6bl7GTA are not possible on my configuration, though I might be totally mistaken
tongue.gif
(probably need some adapter)

Aside from that, what would be a good source to get tubes from ?

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 21
The Mullard ECC32 is one of my favorite gain tubes. It seems to balance a "tubey" signature with drive and dynamics...it's certainly expensive, but it's in my top three (the other two being the Sylvania 6SN7W short bottle and Raytheon 6414). The 6414 works wonders for the HD650, but I think the Mullard would be a better match for your cans.

Jan 27, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 21
OK, as promised, I took those babies out for some (****0graphy)photography
biggrin.gif

All of them:

Hytron GT:

Has "B1H" code below the 6SN7GT print.

Tung SOl GT:

Are those the mouse ears you referred to ?

Motorola/TS GT:

RCA/Tel-Rad GTB:

Sylvania GTB:

Syl_Baseless_GT:

RCA_Baseless_GTB

TungSol WGTA:

RCA 7N7:

part of them are relabeled, so I don't really know what tubes they are
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 21
Yes those are the TS GT I was talking about.

ECC adaptors work with standard MPX. Mine is from 2004
smily_headphones1.gif

Also those Hytron GT is new to me. I thought Hytron GT typically had T-plates. Those flat plates almost looks like Syl GT flat plate, but I might be wrong.

Mr.Shadow;2664590 said:
tagosaku:
I think I might have TS Grey plate, might be relabeled, I might just take pictures and you'll tell for yourself.
About the other ECC adapters, I don't know if they fit will work on the MPX3, I thought it was only for the Extreme
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 21
OK,
AFAIK, 6bl7GT are for the output, right ?
The thing is the adapter alone will cost 100$ so I don't think it's a wise option.

About the TS mouse ears, I didn't find it as such a good tube
blink.gif

Would you care to show me some "normal" 1951 Hytron GT who has the T plates..

Btw, what about RCA Red base ? how would you rank those ?

Jan 27, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 21
Hytron GT looks like the TS GT you have. The plate is blacker and shinier.

I like RCA Red Base. But like TS RP, Syl W (metal base), it tends to be high priced. I don't remember how it compares with Mullard ECC 33.
But RCA Red Base is warmer than Hytron GT or TS GT you have.

If you want to try something warm, you can try GE GTA/GTB, which are much less expenseive than RCA Red Base. And for me, Raytheon WGT is kind a inbetween these and Hytron.

I understand you don't want to go through too many tubes, but not sure if there is any other way finding something you are looking for.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 21
I dont want warm
tongue.gif

I want detailed, open, airy with deep&punchy bass, that's the most important
icon10.gif

It seems like my "Hytron GT" is not a Hytron GT... so what is it then ? cuse it got some serious bass going with it
evil_smiley.gif
and it makes me wonder.

BTW, what would you say about This ECC33 Mullard tube ?
Real ? worth the $$ ? the price is quite low.

Jan 28, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK,
AFAIK, 6bl7GT are for the output, right ?
The thing is the adapter alone will cost 100$ so I don't think it's a wise option.

About the TS mouse ears, I didn't find it as such a good tube
blink.gif

Would you care to show me some "normal" 1951 Hytron GT who has the T plates..

Btw, what about RCA Red base ? how would you rank those ?

The 6bl7gt/6bx7gt dont need an adapter .... you just drop them right in. If you want fast and clean get the 6bx7gt for the outputs and pair that with your TS grayplate non- mouse ear for gain.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #15 of 21
"I dont want warm
I want detailed, open, airy with deep&punchy bass, that's the most important"

If that's the case, definitely give some of the "9 pin miniatures" a try. They tend to be less warm and more detailed, with more air around the instruments. I liked the 6414 and the 12az7 tubes. Just be aware that the 12az7 may have an high enough amplification factor that you may encounter some noise from them. I didn't have that problem in my MPX, but some have. I find that either of these tubes (6414 or 12az7) work well with the 6bl7's as outputs, since these tubes can supply ample bass.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back