EC phono stage (ready for prime time?)
Dec 12, 2009 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ironbut

500+ Head-Fier
Got an email from Craig today with pic's of the phono stage. He didn't say that this is the final final but I don't think he would've sent these unless it's release is eminent.

Here's some operational info;

The TA settled into two 12AX7, and one 6SN7 for the buffers.
It runs on 300V so input over load is a non issue.
48dB of gain moving magnet.
72dB moving coil set for 150 ohm loading.
Input transformers are Cinemag.
I am using .5% tolerance silver mica in oil caps for the critical midrange eq.
RIAA accuracy plus minus .25dB 20-20kHz.
MC loading is user set 37.5, or 150 ohms.
MM loading comes with 47K, 100pF but can be user set to anything via barrier strips.
The power is on a 5 pin XLR, and if one loses the umbilical standard lighting 5 pin cords are available.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 29
On the waiting list...hope to have a nice christmas present when I got down to LA in a couple of weeks.
Think that's the final case, but AFAIK he still has to build a unit to send to the assemblers for final production.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 29
Ha Ha, I should have know Min!

This ones' been a long time coming. That's one great thing about Craig though,.. when it's done there's a minimum of changes that happen (except for customer requests of course).
I thought it sounded excellent at the last meet. I haven't really done a lot of serious auditions of phono stages for a few years but I don't think there's much competition for this under the $3K mark (that was the price range I was checking out when I did).

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 29
That's a great looking phono stage and the one Craig had at CanJam sounded wonderful. I especially like the use of Cinemag input transformers - I use a pair with the Fi Yph and have been very pleased with them.

I'm not on the waiting list, but I'll probably have to pull the trigger on one of these. It'll probably put my much-loved Yph into storage. I don't think I can part with it.

It'd also be nice if this gets Eddie Current some attention outside of the headphone world. A lot of speakers-only audiophiles ought to give this a try.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I especially like the use of Cinemag input transformers - I use a pair with the Fi Yph and have been very pleased with them.

I love 'em too.

Wonder if he's using the CMQEE-3440A.

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using .5% tolerance silver mica in oil caps for the critical midrange eq.

Silver Mica In Oil caps?? I thought I've seen them all...

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #8 of 29
Will have to wait till I have the means... but looks nice...

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 29
i am in no ways knowledgeable about phono pres...just trust Craig from his work with his amps plus what i heard when he demoed his phono pre at canjam and at the last norcal meet.
That's good enough for me. Nothing better than listening to what you're buying.
Hard part is waiting until it goes into production

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 29
Wow, if true, it maybe on my list a lot sooner than I thought. Would love to listen to this version... really liked the protos..

Cheers,

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last I heard from Craig it was going to be $1200 including two Mullard 12AX7s and a Mullard 6SN7.

That's what I heard, too. And a big reason why it's on my short list for my next audio purchase. I don't think anything in that price range will compete. Heck, it's not much more than a quality DIY phono stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back