eBay Unpaid Item dispute, how to avoid negative feedback retaliation?
Mar 21, 2006 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
I'm about to file eBay Unpaid Item dispute. First time I've ever had to do this.

It's almost 7 days, and no contact from a zero feedback buyer despite the many messages I've sent to them.

So my question is this:

When I report an Unpaid Item Dispute, can the buyer leave a retaliatory negative feedback after I report, and if they don't respond to the "courtesy message" that eBay sends them after I report? Can I leave negative feedback after I get Final Value Fee credit?

If I get a retaliatory negative feedback, how difficult is it to have removed through Square Trade?

-Ed

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 25
I believe you can not prevent an eBayer from leaving feedback. It is their inherent right to do so, even if it is perceived or interpreted as retaliatory from the recipient's point of view. However, if the eBayer does not respond to your unpaid item notification and leaves you (seller) negative feedback, it will not count. Here is a relevant link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/...rivileges.html

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I believe you can not prevent an eBayer from leaving feedback. It is their inherent right to do so, even if it is perceived or interpreted as retaliatory from the recipient's point of view. However, if the eBayer does not respond to your unpaid item notification and leaves you (seller) negative feedback, it will not count. Here is a relevant link:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/...rivileges.html

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Ooo. I missed that section reading through eBay's FAQ.

But I can still leave negative feedback, though, right?

Oh, and what if the buyer leaves negative feedback before the dispute closes, yet still ignores the Unpaid Item Notification? Their feedback is still invalidated? I hope so.

-Ed

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Ooo. I missed that section reading through eBay's FAQ.

But I can still leave negative feedback, though, right?

Oh, and what if the buyer leaves negative feedback before the dispute closes, yet still ignores the Unpaid Item Notification? Their feedback is still invalidated? I hope so.

-Ed

Yes, you can leave negative feedback. If the buyer ignores the unpaid item notification and leaves you negative feedback, it will remain, but will not count against your score.

Here is a link to an example:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...4118347&de=off

Second feedback beginning with "Rating Withdrawn by eBay"

Mar 21, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
Yes, you can leave negative feedback. If the buyer ignores the unpaid item notification and leaves you negative feedback, it will remain, but will not count against your score.

Here is a link to an example:

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...4118347&de=off

Second feedback beginning with "Rating Withdrawn by eBay"

There's a negative one below where the seller responded that it was a Non Paying Bidder. So that one must be one where the buyer left a retaliatory negative feedback before the dispute was closed.
That is what I'm trying to avoid.

-Ed

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
There's a negative one below where the seller responded that it was a Non Paying Bidder. So that one must be one where the buyer left a retaliatory negative feedback before the dispute was closed.
That is what I'm trying to avoid.

-Ed

You can not stop an eBayer from leaving negative feedback no matter the circumstances.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 25
thats what sucks about ebay. It takes darn near a miracle to remove retaliatory feedbacks, regardless of how clear cut the case is.

I got scammed out of $6 from this seller:
scdua

I did not know what to do, the fear of negative retaliatory feedback forced me to do nothing. This seller had a bad feedback rating that I did not research carefully when I placed a bid. Furthermore he had history of posting negatives in retaliation. Of course Ebay was no help, as a buyer. So I just let it go.... in an attempt to save my feedback reputation.

I was lucky in that it was only $6, and not worth risking my feedback profile.

I dont know what you should do? If you post neg FB, its safe to assume the buyer will do likewise. anyways, good luck... I made my choice and am content with the outcome.... although not happy.

Garrett

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 25
Mar 21, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
You should wait untill 90 days after the sale. Do it at the last minute and hope the seller doesn't see. That is what I did with a scammer that I ran into.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/...-feedback.html

I wouldn't want anyone to be misled, but this linked page also indicates that if it is more than 90 days old, you may still have the ability to leave feedback after 90 days by using the "single transaction form" link located on the Leave Feedback page. There is also the possibly that you may not be able to leave feedback after 90 days too.

Does anyone know how this single transaction form works? And is there any clear cut answer as to under what circumstances after 90 days you can and can not leave feedback?

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 25
Hi edwood,
that sucks.
You should check off immediate payment necessary option in your auctions.

I believe you are also allowed to write a reply explaining your situation if the deadbeat buyer gives you a dishonest mark.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 25
I was on the selling end of an unpaid item dispute, and it never got resolved. I opened a dispute and nothing ever came of it. I never even got refunded the $$$ from the listing. Best of luck.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 25
There needs to be a class action lawsuit against eBay and their continually bordering on fraudualant practices.

eBay behaves as a financial institution with PayPal and the credit it offers, yet they are somehow exempt from consumer lending laws. They offer money market accounts as well on their PayPal balances too.

eBay conveniently hides behind their "don't kill the middleman" policy. But sooner or later, they will have to answer for their laziness.

-Ed

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 25
If you're really afraid of negative feedback, you can mutally agree to cancel the sale. You will not have to pay for your listing. Sure, you're not giving the deadbeat bidder negative feeback, but you'll be ensuring you don't recieve negative feedback.

http://rebulk.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?CreateDispute

I've done this twice with people and all's well that ends positive. Just write the guy and say you'll be willing for forget the matter if you both agree to terminate the sale. You don't have to pay for the final sale listing price through this process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back