Ebay Help - Does this look fishy to you?
Feb 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I put my iPad up on eBay to raise some funds and I listed it at a good buy-it-now price of £325. Now I expected it to sell quickly but it's sold within 6 minutes to a member with zero feedback which I find a little suspicious. In fairness they have provided a shipping address within the UK but they've only been an eBay member since today which I find doubly suspicious. What do you make of it and how should I proceed from here?

Here's the auction listing for reference:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110653161677#ht_500wt_1156

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 6
I've sold hundreds of things on eBay, and as a rule I disallow bids from 0-feedback members.  I know everybody has to start somewhere, but I'd rather they don't start by ripping me off.  I may be paranoid, but I've been burned and think a little paranoia for online transactions is a good idea. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm also wary of zero feedback bidders. I usually require people to send me a PM before bidding if they have less than ten feedbacks. Sometimes, new members message me and ask for permission. There are new members, after all. Those who do read the rules and message me have been entirely reliable. It's also nice to give someone their first feedback.

But I'd be careful here and only ship to a PayPal confirmed address and make sure I had delivery confirmation. PayPal's rules are slightly different in the UK - be sure you comply entirely.

Mar 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #6 of 6
In the end eBay closed the bidder's account due to suspicious activity so I was right to be wary. Listing fees refunded and I never sent the invoice (after ignored PMs) so it all worked out okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back