Easy way to cut holes in Grado Comfies
Aug 10, 2007 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Isao

New Head-Fier
I joined back in April ... but this is my first post.

I just did the quarter mod I guess you guys call it...on my SR60
Except its a little bigger than a quarter...

I found that a melon baller works great for cutting holes in foam pads.
They are available in various sizes... and I bet most of you married folks here have them already in the kitchen.

Just use a twisting motion on a cutting board or cardboard to protect your desk.

DSC_12270001.jpg

DSC_12300001.jpg

DSC_12280001.jpg

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice find, sure beats pounding a socket wrench bit over them with a mallet.

x2!!!

great tip, I think I'll do that to my SR60 comfies.... right NOW.

Yes I'm married, I have never understood the need to ball up a cantelope, when I can just take a bite out of it.

**edit**
no luck, my mellon baller is plastic tupperware

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 16
Glad I could help!!

When I started reading about exacto knives...I knew there must be a simpler way.

Isao

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 16
Very nice. My big beefy fingers can't seem to handle a pair of scissors with any skill, so my holes look awful. Thanks for the find.

I'm sure I have something like that in my kitchen...lord knows my wife buys all kinds of odd crap for cooking.

Aug 10, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #10 of 16
Echo all the foregoing.

But...the sound. The sound. How do they sound?

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Echo all the foregoing.

But...the sound. The sound. How do they sound?

pretty much the same as with less round holes I guess
tongue.gif
and that has already been described a lot here (like here)

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 16
Yeah, those are really clean cut circles. I always get a good chuckle when I see holed pads in which the person must have cut out the circle freehand with scissors.

An alternative way that worked great for me is to lay the pads on a cutting board and firmly press a coin of preferrence (eg quarter) against the pads. Use an ultra sharp wedge shaped X-acto knife to cut pads using the coin edge as a guide. Don't lift up the coin until you complete the cut.

I don't eat fruits so I did not have a melon baller around.
icon10.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretty much the same as with less round holes I guess
tongue.gif
and that has already been described a lot here (like here)

Thanks...but, unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible), little if any discussion characterizing the sound of the quarter-modded comfies. So I am anxious to hear the OP's listening impressions (and anyone else's, of course)...

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks...but, unless I'm missing something (which is quite possible), little if any discussion characterizing the sound of the quarter-modded comfies. So I am anxious to hear the OP's listening impressions (and anyone else's, of course)...

I'm sorry... I looked again, and you are right... I just remembered this comparison (wrongly) to contain much more variation in pads... here is the one I intended to link

this thread also has some hints towards the quarter modded comfies (posts 37 and 39)

here's some more (indirect) opinions

but of course the OP is very welcome to post his opinion as well!

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 16
I did this mod a few months ago... so I can't really comment on the difference in sound with/without holes.
At the time I did this... I had the sr60's for about a year.
I had just purchased the sr225, and the 60's sounded so flat compared to the 255s. I saw some posts here saying that cutting a hole in the pads to expose the drivers will make them brighter...and the rest is history.

I definitey like the sound better with the holes... but didn't do much critical listening since I was so happy with my 225.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back