Easy to drive cheap IEM?
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Polar1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cheap IEM to use with my Clip Sport but my main concern is to be easy to drive and play loud so that I'll be able to listen to my podcasts while on public transport etc. I'm between the following two choices:

KZ ZSE
Sensitivity:122dB
Resistance:16Ω

SONY MDR-EX15
Sensitivity:100DB
Resistance:16Ω

If I understand correctly the KZ ZSE will be able to reach a quite higher volume level right? :confused:

Thanks for your time! :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 11
You'll also want to consider isolation, which would arguably have an even bigger impact when commuting. If they don't isolate well, the audio will be masked by the exterior sounds

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 11
You'll also want to consider isolation, which would arguably have an even bigger impact when commuting. If they don't isolate well, the audio will be masked by the exterior sounds
I'm only going to use them for listening to podcasts so I can't spend much on them. Until now I used the standard Sandisk IEMs that come with Clip Sport and they were pretty good.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 11
rapid googling gave me no value with clear sensi nomenclature, but I saw the KZ ZSE at 102dB once and 100dB somewhere else. so it could be some typing error? or some issue with one person quoting a value per mW while the other quotes a value per volt maybe? IDK.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 11
rapid googling gave me no value with clear sensi nomenclature, but I saw the KZ ZSE at 102dB once and 100dB somewhere else. so it could be some typing error? or some issue with one person quoting a value per mW while the other quotes a value per volt maybe? IDK.
Hmm. Even in that case though they'll still be able to reach a higher volume level than the Sony's right?

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 11
well if the difference is 102dB instead of 100, that's not going to change your life. that value if it's reliable(because honestly different brands will measure the output a little differently), and they both measured at 1kHz, and if they're both dead on 16ohm, you might still subjectively feel differently because of the respective signatures. it's too small a difference to have much confidence in which one is loudest at the same voltage/volume setting.
now if it's effectively 122dB/mW for one and 100dB/mW for the other, now we're talking. 122dB is like 4 times louder than 100. even with approximations and errors, I'd be pretty confidence that it's indeed the louder one. maybe the spec is written properly somewhere on the box and someone who has them can tell what's the correct value?

Apr 16, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 11
Isolation is what you should be chasing not max volume. Hearing damage can occur above 85 decibels, and the higher you go the quicker it will happen.

Foam tips is the best route for isolation on the cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Isolation is what you should be chasing not max volume. Hearing damage can occur above 80decibels, and the higher you go the quicker it will happen.

Foam tips is the best route for isolation on the cheap.
You are right, isolation is equally important as well. I've been using for years the standard Sandisk IEMs that come with Clip Sport paired with Sony hybrid foam ear tips and I was satisfied. But truth be told, if the earphones are not able to reach a certain volume level then they are useless for outdoor use, especially on public transport etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back