Easy custom mint tin etching!
Jan 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

duchamp

100+ Head-Fier
I just found the link to this on the Make magazine blog (makezine.com/blog/) I instantly thought of the cool things you could etch into the mint tins many people use for projects. This might even work for custom front panels, although the contrast would be low. Enjoy!

http://www.instructables.com/id/EPKI62D39BEXCFGXSV

PS- Not a good project for those with small unruly children or pets wandering about...

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 15
Extremely cool!
cool.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by duchamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...although the contrast would be low.

Easily fixed. Spraypaint the panel and the lower (etched) part will fill in with paint. When dry, use a 400 grit or finer sandpaper on a block (and the block is important) to lightly sand the panel. This will remove paint from the high areas and leave it in the low areas. When done, clean it off and spray it with clearcoat. You'll have a custom front panel.

Jan 30, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 15
It's not deadly or anything, right? I've pressed a 12v DC wallwart plug onto my tongue before, it gave me a real shock. (Attempted suicide after AlienDAC failure
wink.gif
Just kidding) Dazed me for a couple seconds, but nothing too bad.

Jan 30, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 15
We're talking about electrolysis of salt water. While salt and water are very safe in their natural forms, performing electrolysis creates chlorine and hydrogen gases (the bubbles you see). It's a common school science experiment, so it shouldn't be too dangerous, but you don't want to generate any real quantity of either gas.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Trust me guys. It's going to rust. I tried that on my altoids mint cans and within 2 weeks the whole thing started to rust. I also tried sanding it down to bare metal to give it that brushed/polished metal look... samething.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 15
I just realized that you could use the toner transfer method used for etching PCBs to transfer designs. I've recently been thinking of ways I could mask off text on an aluminum front panel during DIY anodization, and it would be perfect. Unfortunately the aluminum would have to be quite smooth, not brushed very deeply for example.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #15 of 15
Looks cool. I might not have the guts to try this, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back