Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jul 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #1,111 of 1,148
I lost interest when they dropped the usefulness of the original MiniMax by dropping the passive blue velvet volume control, PLUS increased the price. Go figure. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #1,112 of 1,148
@ ecapsretliab  Do you prefer the Dexa or the Burson?

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #1,113 of 1,148
Quote:
@ ecapsretliab  Do you prefer the Dexa or the Burson?

In the Minimax I much preferred Burson.

In the Minimax Plus ....DEXA.  Me and the Bursons did not get along in the Plus.

Currently I am running LME49990 / DEXA with the tube yanked.  And am very happy, but I'm still trying out new combinations.

Never thought I'd wind up going in that direction. But the Plus is a very different beast.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I just put the Bursons back in.  I can't decide. I'm thinking I should grab some Burson singles an see what happens when I run all Bursons.

People say the Bursons do bass better than the DEXA's.  But I always find the bass gets a bit bloated in my system. But I love their tonal richness. I guess my speakers and probably room acoustics are clouding my judgement. So some further adjusting is in order.  Yes I know, I'm sort of in the wrong forum :)   Sorry.

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,114 of 1,148
That's the usual tradeoff.  You're searching for smoother sound to make those crappy recordings listenable but you end up with tubby bass in the process. That's why I've been hesitant to give the Bursons a try.
Dexa's in U1/U2 and LM49710's in U6/U7 has been pretty much the best compromise for me so far. I was getting good balance with the tube output but one of the second hand 3.3uF Mundorfs I was using has started to fail so I've been running SS only lately.

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #1,115 of 1,148
Quote:
I lost interest when they dropped the usefulness of the original MiniMax by dropping the passive blue velvet volume control, PLUS increased the price. Go figure. 

I never found that the volume helped any with impedance issues, and since i've had it removed, the quality's improved overall.  Just my 2cents.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,116 of 1,148
Recently, I bought a Minimax DAC plus. The sound is great. However I found a weird thing. When the DAC connected with USB, the DAC can't be completely off. My case is the Minimax DAC plus is connected a music server. I will not turn off that server. When I power off the DAC, the Operate, Phase and Tube LED is still on. If I click any buttons on the DAC, it still response. The DAC seems still in operate. However it doesn't have sound come out. Is it Normal?

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #1,117 of 1,148
Quote:
Recently, I bought a Minimax DAC plus. The sound is great. However I found a weird thing. When the DAC connected with USB, the DAC can't be completely off. My case is the Minimax DAC plus is connected a music server. I will not turn off that server. When I power off the DAC, the Operate, Phase and Tube LED is still on. If I click any buttons on the DAC, it still response. The DAC seems still in operate. However it doesn't have sound come out. Is it Normal?

I don't have that problem with my Minimax DAC Plus, which I can turn off fine while connected to audio PC by USB.  Are you making sure to push the power button deep and hold for a second before letting go?  That's the way to turn it on or off.  

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #1,118 of 1,148
I don't have that problem with my Minimax DAC Plus, which I can turn off fine while connected to audio PC by USB.  Are you making sure to push the power button deep and hold for a second before letting go?  That's the way to turn it on or off.  

Thank you.

I will check that when I back to home. Will you turn off your audio PC?

I also found another weird stuff. When I disconnect the power and connect USB, the device will be "turn on".
The Operate, Phase and Tube LED will be turn on. It seems very weird.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #1,119 of 1,148
Hi all, i am having some problems with my MM Plus. Tried using the digital coaxial connection with my CDP and there is intermittent clicks with the data transfer. Doesn't happen with USB connection though.

Anyone have similar problems?

Dec 29, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #1,120 of 1,148
Hello Turn Cough,

I'm looking for information on installing the Compact cascode CCS Kits to the tube ouput.
Please may I have instructions if you still have this information. I have already ordered them. Trim settings or bias point would be appreciated.
My e-mail is: russ42midlife@hotmail.com.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings, Russell

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #1,121 of 1,148
Can you confirm that this is the right setting, a professional can install the CCS kits for me but I need to know if these are correct adjustments.
I would be really glad if you could tell me and perhaps more information.
Thanks greetings,
Russell: e-mail to: russ42midlife@hotmail.com

Dec 31, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #1,122 of 1,148
set the CCS Kit gain to @0.85mv across the 10ohm resistor or until the sound has no distortion.

Are these the correct instructions for the EE Minimax DAC for a CCS kit with an E80CC tube for example? Or the standard tube.
reply to: russ42midlife@hortmail.com

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #1,124 of 1,148
Got a used Minimax Plus at last. This is a DAC that I've always considered but never got.
I've used a DACport and M-DAC before before.

Was thinking between the Mytek 192 and the Minimax Plus.
Finally plumped for the Minimax Plus as DSD is a nice to have but not a priority.

Minimax Plus feeding the W4S mINT

May 26, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,125 of 1,148
Quote:
Got a used Minimax Plus at last. This is a DAC that I've always considered but never got.
I've used a DACport and M-DAC before before.

Was thinking between the Mytek 192 and the Minimax Plus.
Finally plumped for the Minimax Plus as DSD is a nice to have but not a priority.

Minimax Plus feeding the W4S mINT

How does the Minimax compare to the others you have tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back