Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Aug 17, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #646 of 1,148

How many tubes are there in your EE MM
confused_face_2.gif

There is one tube AX7 or you can run an AT7

Aug 18, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #647 of 1,148

Quote:

How many tubes are there in your EE MM
confused_face_2.gif

tongue.gif

I meant that any tube I use in the Minimax, I put a tube-damper on it.

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #649 of 1,148
Can you please comment on tube damping.

In your opinion is it a Myth and nothing but audio Voodoo?

Or is tube micro-phonics real and can be negated with damping and/or isolation?

Perhaps those who doubt will trust you more is why I ask.

Quote:
Who ever said you can use a 12ax7 tube in the MiniMax is WRONG!!  DO NOT use a 12AX7. It uses a 12au7, I can't imagine even running the 12AT7, the only good one ever made was the Mullard goldpin 6201.IMHO

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #651 of 1,148

Quote:
Can you please comment on tube damping.

In your opinion is it a Myth and nothing but audio Voodoo?

Or is tube micro-phonics real and can be negated with damping and/or isolation?

Perhaps those who doubt will trust you more is why I ask.

I use tube dampers on just about all my tubes. The Herbies Tube Dampers are very good,YMMV. Sometimes a little micro-phonics is good as it seems to add a little air to the presentation. You can over-damp though also as the presentation will lose a little of its bloom. It will give pin-point accuracy but a tad more sterilized. If overdone it has a SS presentation.OK, I'm biased on the tube thing though so to each his own. 
 I do happen to believe in the air-born  vibrations and have tried in the past some lead shot on my components that would take the black silk bags that my wife sewed together for me to make all look presentable. Of course now knowing what we do about lead, I would use sterile children's sand that you would put in a sandbox for your loved one's.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #652 of 1,148

Quote:
I use tube dampers on just about all my tubes. The Herbies Tube Dampers are very good,YMMV.

If I were to add such dampers to the tube in the MM DAC, that would mean that I will not be able to use the original tube securer (or whatever you call it) that comes as stock with the MM DAC. That grey tube securer seems to help to hold the tube in place as well as to reduce vibration.

In your opinion, which is better? Using a tube dampers or the original securer?

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #653 of 1,148
I think 99% of people who have used tubes [that I know] would agree with every word.

Quote:

I use tube dampers on just about all my tubes. The Herbies Tube Dampers are very good,YMMV. Sometimes a little micro-phonics is good as it seems to add a little air to the presentation. You can over-damp though also as the presentation will lose a little of its bloom. It will give pin-point accuracy but a tad more sterilized. If overdone it has a SS presentation.OK, I'm biased on the tube thing though so to each his own. 
 I do happen to believe in the air-born  vibrations and have tried in the past some lead shot on my components that would take the black silk bags that my wife sewed together for me to make all look presentable. Of course now knowing what we do about lead, I would use sterile children's sand that you would put in a sandbox for your loved one's.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #654 of 1,148

Quote:

Hi Bill. Yes, I also use Herbie's tube damper on my Minimax tube. For whoever asked if you can use it with the included tube shield, the answer is no. You need to remove it to get enough clearance for the damper. The damper, BTW, is the better option IME.

Aug 19, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #657 of 1,148
Tube dampers are system and user dependent.  Where are EMI/RFI rejection is desirable across the board, so the RFI shied is the way to go because its and advantage for everyone.

However in the year 2011 you would think that tube dampers, tube micro-phonics and vibration reduction would be Universally accepted as real, but I guess its not....some people still think its voodoo audio.  Perhaps RFI/EMI rejection is voodoo audio to some people as well....

Aug 19, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #659 of 1,148

Users who are viewing this thread

Back