Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jul 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #541 of 1,148

Quote:
so are you guys saying that because it has a tube output, it wont be that great but on the other hand, even expensive DACs use opamps?

No not quite. I'm saying that tube gear isn't built for spectacular numbers. Its appeal is in its pleasing sound, which basic specs won't show. Even a low-end SS amp will have better specs but will sound much worse.

Many high-end DACs use opamps, and there's nothing wrong with them. It depends on the implementation.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #543 of 1,148

Quote:
Yep you guys were right. The AD797 are great. I haven't listened to them enough yet to come up with a conclusion, but so far they're among the best. A bit slow but fluid, expansive, warm, smooth involving sound.

Shahrose, If I may ask, what is a bit slow??  It can't be the music being slowed down and it can't be the transient response because that "musical aspect" is lighting fast, just by the definition of the word..The only part of a  musical playback system that IMO could warrant "IT'S SLOW" would be a sub-woofer lagging behind, lets say your monitors...... Could you please explain to me what is slow, or what do you hear as being slow...... PS how do you like your new MK 3 JK Hi-Face.......I'm happy with the complete set of the AD797 Op-Amps.......for my system and my ears they are the best combo for my EE Mini Dac.... Thanks for any info...duke

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #544 of 1,148

Quote:
Shahrose, If I may ask, what is a bit slow??  It can't be the music being slowed down and it can't be the transient response because that "musical aspect" is lighting fast, just by the definition of the word..The only part of a  musical playback system that IMO could warrant "IT'S SLOW" would be a sub-woofer lagging behind, lets say your monitors...... Could you please explain to me what is slow, or what do you hear as being slow...... PS how do you like your new MK 3 JK Hi-Face.......I'm happy with the complete set of the AD797 Op-Amps.......for my system and my ears they are the best combo for my EE Mini Dac.... Thanks for any info...duke

Hi Duke. I tested both the AD797 and LME49990 thoroughly in my system the past few days and here's what I found. The AD797 is smoother and has slightly more prominent lower mids. The focus of the sounds is deeper into the tone whereas the LME49990 are more airy and ethereal, but without losing groundedness (in my system).

Now in terms of technical ability, I feel the LME49990 is just better. It has a faster, more natural attack and pace. The AD797 rounds the leading edge a bit for a slightly softer sound. I also think the soundstage/imaging isn't as good as the LME49990, though it can sound larger on recordings which have more ambient info in the lower midrange. Lastly, the bass seems snappier and harder hitting with the LME49990...this is not a big difference, but it is noticeable.

I love the MK3 HiFace, best transport I've heard. Read here (post # 203): http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/483900/review-jkeny-s-modified-hiface/195

Jul 30, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #545 of 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Output Impedance : Tube 3K
                     Solid State 200 ohm

Thanks Dutchamps, I'm more worried about the Output impedance, why it is always so high for EE products?  hmmm.
Look like we need a pre-amps or buffer before the amps?

Quote:
1st edition

G.W. : 4.3kgs
N.W. : 3kgs

The 2nd edition the Plus version

G.W. : 5.6kgs
N.W. : 4.1kgs

Oh yeah, at lease I see one improvement
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
still opamps are opamps and discrete sound much better
What dac will have discrete outputs?

I can't really comment on op-amps sounds worse or better, but most Audio-gd DACs, MHDT Havana, has fully discrete output and the Output Impedance is only 20 ohms.  I have NFB-2 and LOVING it!!!

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #548 of 1,148
i know. if i go away from the minimax, its only to go balanced.  a huge mistake at its new [price point.  leads me to believe, theyre gonna release a mk3 or somethign else that is balanced sooner rather than later.

I wish that was true but I believe personally its just poor design. at the 1100.00 price point there are many Dac's that have better s/n ratio and are balanced. I think the Minimax was a nice bang for the buck at 750.00 but 1100.00 for the new one without any new technology is really just a rehash of whats already in the audio world. Maybe they will see their mistake and come out with a balanced DAC soon

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #549 of 1,148
For someone who wants to use USB(not my case) the new version might be interesting and it does have a  few other additional improvements which should translate into better sound.
For discrete and balanced output there's always the Audio GD NFB-7 which has both those features - however it has no tube output, its USB only does 24-96 and it costs almost $300 more than the EE. $400 more than the $998 introduction price.
Personally I would still go for the EE unless I wanted a DAC with a Wolfson chip(which I don't) in which case I would get the NFB-8.

Edit - Regarding the aforementioned  Havana... It's a beautiful DAC but does not have a real tube output only tube buffer. Its technology is a bit dated also but for some that could be a good thing.  I never heard it so I can't comment on its sound but I've owned the Paradisea and it was not even in the same league as the EE.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #550 of 1,148
One more thing - Could somebody please explain the impedance concerns with the EE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back