Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
Jun 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #227 of 1,148
You also really need to substitute that stock tube. It will do but there are so many other choices for a relative small amount of coin to also bring out the best in the DAC.

Already running the Psvane AU7 tube that boulder cable uses when they mod the MInimax. The tube made the biggest difference in the beginning but the opamps are very important to match up as well. The stock NE's are fine for most people.

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #231 of 1,148
You guys are having too much fun!!!!!

I want a MiniMax!!!!!

MrScary, would you care to part with your MiniMax a bit early???  Seeing that none are on the used market and they are sold out
mad.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #233 of 1,148
LOL....ok 6 months it is...

I really do hope EE decides to keep making the MiniMax 'as-is' and just add another to the line up.

It seems as of late some companies are making [only in my opinion] bad business decisions.  For example Audio-gd has decided to get rid of the knobs on its large Dacs due to shipping problems. The large silver knobs imo was a trademark of the product, a distinctive feature that made the look of the product unique.

If EE changes their formula too much and/or prices themselves into another segment of buyers, the >1K group and ignores the group that put the MM on the map, the sub 1K group I foresee a real problem.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #234 of 1,148
LOL....ok 6 months it is...

I really do hope EE decides to keep making the MiniMax 'as-is' and just add another to the line up.

It seems as of late some companies are making [only in my opinion] bad business decisions.  For example Audio-gd has decided to get rid of the knobs on its large Dacs due to shipping problems. The large silver knobs imo was a trademark of the product, a distinctive feature that made the look of the product unique.

If EE changes their formula too much and/or prices themselves into another segment of buyers, the >1K group and ignores the group that put the MM on the map, the sub 1K group I foresee a real problem.

I agree 100% I have already stated my disdain for what eastern electric has done with their new DAC coming out. They have already placed themselves into a category where more buyers are going to question the use of opamps in the circuit design etc.. And besides that they have stiff competition
in the 1100.00 range.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #235 of 1,148
We welcome the competition. We try to make a great product, and after 18 months we have decided to try and make it better.(We have)We are offering a $998 for the first 100 Dac's ordered from the $1100 price point.(September arrival) Everything (metals manufacturing,etc have risen substantially.)

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #236 of 1,148
Still interested in this MKI with a USB to SP/DIF adapter.

I prefer a musical sound to that of an analytical one. Which tube/opamps would I need to do to achieve this (and their costs)? :¬)

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #237 of 1,148
Still interested in this MKI with a USB to SP/DIF adapter.

I prefer a musical sound to that of an analytical one. Which tube/opamps would I need to do to achieve this (and their costs)? :¬)

Why would you need an adapter for the MK1? It does 24/192 usb and secondly the unit is not even out on the streets yet so no one knows what tubes are going to sound best in it. Or opamps.
make sense!

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #238 of 1,148
I have a feeling that after ordering just about every other recommended opamp out there somebody is just waiting for me to mention that I just ordered the 797s to post that there is a new kid on the block.
Cimarron must be loving this thread.

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #239 of 1,148
I have a feeling that after ordering just about every other recommended opamp out there somebody is just waiting for me to mention that I just ordered the 797s to post that there is a new kid on the block.
Cimarron must be loving this thread.

hahaha awessome man welcome to the club.. I got mine of ebay very cheap I wouldnt pay cimmaron the 98.00 they wanted. :D

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #240 of 1,148

Quote:
hahaha awessome man welcome to the club.. I got mine of ebay very cheap I wouldnt pay cimmaron the 98.00 they wanted.
biggrin.gif

Hmm...got a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back