Eastern Electric Minimax Tube Dac (32-bit dac)
May 14, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #76 of 1,148

Quote:
Alex from Eastern Electric Audio has advised that "The DAC MKII will be put into production within the next 2 weeks. Shipping to be advised later as this is the first production lot. The new MKII will feature A Sync up to 192KHz. I will announce through all the distributors and our web site." This is good news for USB users.

If that all it gives is A sync 192 usb its a waste of money I hope it offers more than that. There is little 192k music out there besides for 96k, Spdiff is far superior in sound quality usb blah

May 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #77 of 1,148

Grant Fidelity agreed to sell me a single tube for $35.

Quote:
The Last upgrade you can do without changing resistors etc is the tube.. The tube is the same one used by Boulder Cable when they do the EE Dac upgrades the only problem is its not cheap
you have to buy 2 and for A Grade tubes they run 99.99 for two in a cool case. I got mine yesterday and it sounds wonderful with the upgrades I have listed my sound has taken on a wide sound stage beautiful warm and not fatiguing

You can get the tube at

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/?page_id=12&category=8&product_id=2

May 14, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #78 of 1,148

Quote:
If that all it gives is A sync 192 usb its a waste of money I hope it offers more than that. There is little 192k music out there besides for 96k, Spdiff is far superior in sound quality usb blah

Well you're entitled to your opinion of course. I was just sharing some information relating to an improvement that the manufacturer is making to the specifications of this DAC. It happens to be of interest to me and it might be to others who wish to use a USB cable with their computer based headphone rigs. 

May 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #79 of 1,148

Quote:

Well you're entitled to your opinion of course. I was just sharing some information relating to an improvement that the manufacturer is making to the specifications of this DAC. It happens to be of interest to me and it might be to others who wish to use a USB cable with their computer based headphone rigs. 

And I appreciate the information I was just hoping that there would be more changes than just a 192 USB upgrade

May 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #81 of 1,148
Just to clarify MrScary, Alex of Eastern Electric Audio was responding to my specific enquiry regarding the USB output of the Minimax DAC. I did not quiz him about any other possible changes to its specifications so it would be premature of you to draw any other conclusions at this stage.   

May 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #82 of 1,148
Just to clarify MrScary, Alex of Eastern Electric Audio was responding to my specific enquiry regarding the USB output of the Minimax DAC. I did not quiz him about any other possible changes to its specifications so it would be premature of you to draw any other conclusions at this stage.   

I didn't draw any conclusions I hope that there are several changes

May 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #84 of 1,148

Quote:

Quote:
I didn't draw any conclusions I hope that there are several changes

Really?  
wink.gif

May 14, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #87 of 1,148
That's strange you'd think he'd be one of the first to know.

I remember a while back Bill mentioned there would be a $100 price increase on the current model but it's still listed at $750 on his website. 

Quote:
Quote:

Really?  
wink.gif

I emaled Bill at Morning star audio and he didn't know anything about the upgrade or the "The DAC MKII

May 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #88 of 1,148
I don't find it at all strange. Alex was responding to my specific enquiry about USB implementation. As he said in his reply email, "I will announce through all the distributors and our web site." 

May 14, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #89 of 1,148
That's strange you'd think he'd be one of the first to know.

I remember a while back Bill mentioned there would be a $100 price increase on the current model but it's still listed at $750 on his website. 

I emailed the Honk Kong office for more info. I want to know what the changes are, if its just the USB then I'm not interested as I don't use USB anyway but if they have done other improvements then I would pull the trigger

May 14, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #90 of 1,148

Quote:

He emailed that to me shortly before I bought it.

As for the USB issue, as I posted before, all one really has to do is get  the Musical Fideltiy V-Link
Musical Fideltiy V-Link - just connect it to the usb on pc and the use toslink to connect to the EE Minimax

http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-LINK-SPDIF-Converter/dp/B004PH03GU
ir

1. True asynchronous USB -> S/PDIF conversion, output is same data stream as input
  2. Accepts incoming sample rates from 32-96 kHz, bit depths from 16-24 bits
  3. Powered by USB bus
  4. Digital outputs: RCA (impedance 75 ohms) or Toslink
  5. Jitter as close to zero as possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back