Easiest way to sell my mountain bike?
Jan 20, 2006 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
I haven't used it in over a year, and honestly the extra money would be very nice. At the time of purchase I was very heavy into biking and had 2 subscriptions, but never posted on any online forums.

What do you HFi mountain bikers think would be the best way to sell this thing? It's a GT steel frame hardtail (16") with all STX components (LX v-brakes), and Indy C suspension. I think it weighs in around 25 lbs. Anyway very light trail/dry weather use looks pretty much new after I cleaned it.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 12
In all honesty, entry-level to midrange steel hardtail mountain bikes have a very poor resale value, no matter how good the condition is. If it's STX with Indy C forks, it's at least 5 years old, not promising. You'll be lucky to get $100-200 out of it, and IMO, it's just not worth it. I'd much rather pass it on for a small fee to a friend, co-worker, or other acquaintance and use it as a way to get them into mountain biking.

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ej82m
Or maybe craigslist?

I second this. Good site (despite all the scams and junk ads that have sadly washed over it).

Jan 20, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 12
Man, I still have my GT Karakoram I purchased back in 1989. It has Shimano Mountain LX components.

I would get so little out of it I might as well keep it and ride it. That bike has been all over the place: TN, AL, GA, FL, PR, and NC.

LOL, does bring back a lot of great memories
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 12
Craigslist is a good option, if it's popular in your area. It's free and quick, and you don't have to mess with all the hassle of ebay or sending stuff into a paper. I sold my bike on there, the same day I put it up. Someone even came and picked it up, and paid cash.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
In all honesty, entry-level to midrange steel hardtail mountain bikes have a very poor resale value, no matter how good the condition is. If it's STX with Indy C forks, it's at least 5 years old, not promising. You'll be lucky to get $100-200 out of it, and IMO, it's just not worth it. I'd much rather pass it on for a small fee to a friend, co-worker, or other acquaintance and use it as a way to get them into mountain biking.

Thanks for the info. It is about 5 years old, if thats all i could get for it I'd just take it to my parents and leave it in storage untill it did get some use.

I've never sold on Craigslist, but I'll look into it. thanks for the suggestions everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back