Easiest Linux distro for beginner
Mar 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Pepsione1

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an older laptop I want to use Linux on because XP is too slow for it. It's an old IBM thinkpad with PIII 677 (I think it's 667) and 128MB only. What is the easiest distro to use with the best driver support for older hardware?

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 34
The answer is very simple. Linux Mint

Based on Ubuntu and comes with common things already installed that you would have to add in a regular Ubuntu installation. Also the default interface with only one taskbar in the usual windows position means that it will feel familiar immediately.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 34
128MB of Ram is is a little low- I would recommend Xubuntu (a lightweight Ubuntu distro) but you really should have at least 256MB to run that smoothly.

Take a look at DSL-n. It's very lightweight but still offers enough power to be useful. It's designed to be run off a CD but it can be installed to a HDD if you'd like.

I've also heard mention of Arch linux before on low-power machines but I've never tried it.

Edit: DSL-n does not have OpenOffice (probably too resource heavy for 128MB anyways) and uses Abiword instead. They did manage to squeeze in an older version of Firefox though.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 34
Damn Small Linux, Slax as Redo mentioned Puppy. I'm by no means an expert on older systems and linux, but, I'm wondering if you may want to look for other choices for specific apps instead of OpenOffice.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 34
I have one of those mini laptops with ubuntu on it and I must say it is more than adequate for anything that isn't gaming you probably can't go wrong with it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 34
Well, the most common linux distro is called OSX.

tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Wrong. Unix and Linux are not the same.

Linux is a type of Unix-based operating system
wink.gif

Anyway, Ubuntu Desktop.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 34
If you do choose Ubuntu/Xubuntu, you'll need to use the alternate install disk with the command-line installer since you only have 128MB. Hardly user-friendly I'd say.

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 34
I suggest Slax
Slax: your pocket operating system
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

tongue.gif

So wrong!
You obviously missed the GNU/Linux vs. UNIX lesson...

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 34
I say Linux Mint, because it has all the basic things pre-installed, so all you have to do is connect to the Internet to update them, as opposed to hunting them all down for installation first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back