Earwax-Fi
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dougmwpsu

100+ Head-Fier
Over the weekend I lost most of my hearing in one ear due to earwax buildup. For reference, I am 25. Today I went to the ear doctor to have him vacuum out both my ears with a tiny straw and a microscope. It was Awesome
wink.gif

Now, not only is my hearing back to where it was before, it's improved tremendously, especially in the higher frequencies. I'm listening to my lowly Porta Pros and an entire new sound register has opened up. They sound like $300 cans now. My junk bin car stereo has also gotten a hi-fi upgrade.

Best $85 I've ever spent on audio equipment!

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 9
I tend to be borderline obsessed with keeping my ears free of wax, especially since I use my Stax SR-003 ear-monitors a lot.

I was excited when I discovered these little plastic scoop things at the big shopping center down the road. At the ends of them it almost looks like little ice-cream scoopers.

They work alright at first, but after a while they really scratch the hell out of your ears. I stopped using them because that seemed like an easy way to get an outer ear infection.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 9
I was getting a massage this AM and this girl walks in to ask if I want the ear candle treatment! What?? Yes I want to candles made of bees wax sucking out the wax in my ears while getting a facial and a back rub. This would be a funny photo.

I have had friends who said they work and others who say the wax is from the candle itself. There is no way a candle could get enough air moving to get out ear wax.
When I was thirty I had a blockage and went to the Doc where he used a hot water needle to get out the wax. Ahhh.

They say record producers have it done before a big recording!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 9
I've got a friend who did his LDS mission in Chile who swears by ear candling and still does it now and then. Damndest thing I've ever seen. The medical literature says it is dangerous, so I've stayed away.

MuppetFace, the ear scoops work really well if you have the dry, flaky kind of earwax. You gently grab the flakes and pull them out. For whatever reason, the flaky stuff runs in my family. It's usually found in Asians, though the family tree traces back all over Europe and nowhere else. I don't understand it, but am endlessly thankful for the wonderful tools from Japan.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I think I could go for a good ear cleaning. I've always had really waxy ears, and I'm sure there's plenty deep in there. I sometimes feel my hearing isn't what it should be, so maybe that's what I need.

Every once in a while I do a peroxide ear cleaning, but I don't think that does a very good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back