EarStudio ES100MK2 is now available
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #31 of 38
I have the ES100 and the BTR3 and I like the latter more. I was hoping for an improved ES100, but this doesn't really solve the issues I have with the 1st gen. I'm glad to see that the clip is slightly improved and that the buttons are less recessed and will likely have more a distinctive "feel", but all the other issues are still there:

- High latency, mostly an issue when watching movies. No support for aptX LL or FastStream codecs. CU: I watch youtube, Netflix, Hulu videos (among others) daily and don't experience latency. I mostly use LDAC. I have other bluetooth devices (example some true wireless iems) that do have latency and it ruins trying to watch a video.-
- Bad ergonomics. Buttons are on exact opposing ends of the device, so if you try to press Next Track with your index finger, your thumb will also presses Volume Up. Same thing with Previous Track and Volume Down. CU: I've seen a number of people comment on the backwards/upside down buttons luckily I don't notice in my daily use.-
- MicroUSB port instead of Type-C. CU: I see people comment on this also. I would prefer a single connector type for my devices but with my phones, tablets, bluetooth headsets, and other devices I have a mix of type C and micro USB so I've adjusted and it's a non issue.-
- Short battery life. CU: I would always like longer battery life but between my BTR3 and ES100 the ES100 gets noticeably better battery life. I actually thought it was impressive for being a small light device.-
- Clip is poorly designed. Its spring tension is too weak and when the device is attached to a collar it sits too high. For a much better clip design, see BlueAnt Ribbon (which otherwise can't sniff the ES100). CU: The BTR3 clip is stronger than the ES100. I wear mine clipped on the collar/neck and have not experienced problems/issues. The ES100 is pretty lightweight maybe that's helping.-
- Poor microphone quality and location (when clipped to a shirt it faces the floor instead of the mouth) CU: I use mine for conference calls at work so the mic is important to me. I've asked multiple people and have been told both the BTR3 and ES100 sound good/clear.-
- Poor reliability. After 10 months of use the ES100 starting disconnecting for now reason after a few minutes, but oddly enough - after another month it's no longer happening. Is my ES100 moody? CU: I have been using my three ES100s daily for all of 2019 and knock on wood they are still working fine. They show the use from being knocked around/sweated on.-
The warranty runs out in 2 weeks, but since I can't reproduce this issue any more I can't really RMA it. Hopefully it remains usable.

I'll wait for Mk3 before considering to upgrade...
Interesting how we all have our own unique experiences/priorities. I have three ES100s and a BTR3 (BTR5 on the way in the mail) and prefer the ES100. For anyone researching people's experiences I added mine I to the quote above.
Additionally, for me a major difference between the BTR3 and ES100 is the phone app for each. The FIIO app looks like they had a music player with bluetooth device management thrown on the end. The usability and capability falls behind the ES100 app. I like the EQ function and for the BTR3 it doesn't work if connected via LDAC.
From an esthetics POV the BTR3 looks and feels like a more quality device. It can also be slippery so I have to pay attention when clipping on the collar.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #35 of 38
ES100.jpg
In the picture it is labeled 'Strap Hole'
So where is the lanyard attachment point?
Post a pic.
ES100.jpg

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #37 of 38
i am guessing most peeps use earphones and IEMs with the es100. i have only recently got into the ear game and have not used my beyerdynamic COPs or dt770 250ohm. the es100 can play the dt770 with adequate volume but just doesn't have the oomph to play the dt770 with authority. The Custom One Pro is only 16ohm and has adjustable bass. the COP is a fun headphone, pairs nicely with the es100 and will keep your ears warm come winter while giving your head feedback with the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back