Earsquake SHA and FISH Review
Aug 25, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Esymptote

New Head-Fier
I just received a package from Richard (udeupa) with two pairs of IEM's: the SHA and FISH from Earsquake.  At first glance, they are decent looking earphones.  My SHA's are black and blue, and are held together by a sexy cable.  Both the SHA and FISH have a little plastic piece in the center with the Earsquake emblem where the lines come together.

Left FISH, Right SHA

Before I say anything, I just want to say that I'm pretty new to headphones/earphones and in no way an audiophile.

The SHA

[Build Quality] The SHA's come with three sets of tips each different sizes, but same color.  The tips are very shallow and are barely noticeable, but provide good isolation and you can barely hear anything when the music is on. The cable seems very durable with small strain-reliefs that make it easy to use over-the-ear.  When worn down, microphonics are apparent, but can become bothersome when jumping and running.  Wearing them over-the-ear helps reduce microphonics alot.

[Sound] The SHA's have a very cold sound to them.  They lack mids and the highs are a bit overpowering.  The bass is a little recessed, but can easily be fixed by EQing them.  Although the highs are excessive, they sound restricted and strained when the singer/instruments (guitar) go to higher extremes.  There is an above average soundstage that helps you pick at the individual instruments.

Hopefully, the mids and bass will open up with burn-in, but for $20 these are great!

The FISH [Movies/Gaming]

[Build Quality] The FISH is very similar to the SHA in terms of build.  The tips seem to be identical from what I can see; providing the same amount of isolation and micrphonics.  The FISH comes with two tips, same size, but different color.  The cable is different from the SHA, being a bit thicker, but lacks strain-reliefs on the buds.

[Sound] Unlike the SHA, the FISH are alot warmer with a more fuller bass and mid.  The bass is really upfront and can muddy the sound, making them not ideal for music listening, but doesn't mean you'll be extremely disappointed.  The FISH can make music sound really smooth, which is actually adds a nice touch to some songs. The soundstage gives you a better sense of where your enemy is in FPS games, which helps alot.  They also create a darker atmosphere which is perfect for gamers and creates a cinematic-like experience when watching movies. 

Not the best for music, but they really shine in movies and games.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 2
I bought a green one on Ebay, maybe I will do my first review on this, too. 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back