EarSonics Velvet universal custom in ear monitor with three sound tuning options
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #1,533 of 1,557
Earsonics high mids are a bit colored in order to sound smooth, non aggressive, but if many among us like that kind of tuning, some others dislike it a lot.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #1,534 of 1,557
Earsonics high mids are a bit colored in order to sound smooth, non aggressive, but if many among us like that kind of tuning, some others dislike it a lot.
Well I LOVE it. I have V1, and it it is still my favourite IEM, 3 years after purchase. I have had the opportunity to listen to several TOTL (1k plus) IEM’s since and still have not upgraded. All because they have not offered a sound that pleases as much as the Velvets do at their price. Or above.
They still make me smile every time I listen to them.
Period.
All IMO of course. But I felt I had to reply, if only
to keep this thread alive.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #1,535 of 1,557
The Velvet v2 is a great evolution, more precise and transparent!

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,536 of 1,557
Anyone know if the Velvet V2 sound good with classical music?

People focus on the bass mostly in reviews, but when you're listening to say.. piano, do they do that well?

I don't know what do you mean by "doing well" - it all depends on personal preferences.
I have the V2 and while I have no problem for listening to classical music, I still prefer a DD for that because of a more natural tone.
Some will say that the Velvet has too much bass for classical music but I don't have a problem with that.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #1,537 of 1,557
Hello all! I am very much interested in the earsonics velvet v2. It would technically be my first higher end full BA IEM. I currently have the hybrid Sony XBA A3 (paired with Fiio X7 Mk1 with AM3). It would be great and truly appreciated if any comparisons can be made between the Velvet V2 and its bigger brother, the ES5 and also with the Shure SE846. I understand from some sparing reviews on the velvet v2 that the bass is tight and punchy and the mids are slightly recessed but with definitely clear upper mids and highs.

Also are there any outlets with available demos for the velvet v2? I called up AV One(sg), but unfortunately the stock is not in as yet.

Thank you very much in advance guys!!

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,538 of 1,557
May 7, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #1,540 of 1,557
So, I tried the Velvet V2 at two separate meets, and both times I found them pretty bass heavy, almost to the point where I wondered if it would be too much.

But I like some thwacking bass, so I went ahead and bought a pair, and now that I have them, for some reason I find them a little bass light. I'm really confused. I've used the same tips that I used at the meets and many other tips I have that usually seal perfectly. I've also tried all the settings on the dial, and I still get nothing close to what I remember hearing at the meets. These are considered to be "almost" bass head level in a lot of reviews I've read, but I have "balanced" and budget IEMs that currently have more powerful bass than these atm.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

On another note, everything else about the sound is perfect on "tight" mode. I'm not a fan of warmth in IEMs, I prefer clarity and sparkle. But I also I don't feel like there's noticeably much more bass on "warm" mode than on "tight" mode.

May 7, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,541 of 1,557
So, I tried the Velvet V2 at two separate meets, and both times I found them pretty bass heavy, almost to the point where I wondered if it would be too much.

But I like some thwacking bass, so I went ahead and bought a pair, and now that I have them, for some reason I find them a little bass light. I'm really confused. I've used the same tips that I used at the meets and many other tips I have that usually seal perfectly. I've also tried all the settings on the dial, and I still get nothing close to what I remember hearing at the meets. These are considered to be "almost" bass head level in a lot of reviews I've read, but I have "balanced" and budget IEMs that currently have more powerful bass than these atm.

Does anyone know what might be going on?

On another note, everything else about the sound is perfect on "tight" mode. I'm not a fan of warmth in IEMs, I prefer clarity and sparkle. But I also I don't feel like there's noticeably much more bass on "warm" mode than on "tight" mode.

Certainly there is more bass in the warm mode than the tight - for me, unlistenable in the warm mode.
Have you checked your source?
Maybe you have applied some settings for the bass, by mistake.

May 7, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,542 of 1,557
Certainly there is more bass in the warm mode than the tight - for me, unlistenable in the warm mode.
Have you checked your source?
Maybe you have applied some settings for the bass, by mistake.
That's a good point to consider, but no they wetr exactly the same. Both times Tidal on my V20. And I've never downloaded any form of EQ on it.

I don't feel that there's more bass really, just more warmth, which makes it "feel" more bassy, but also more bloated. In other words, to me the amount of bass doesn't change, just the shape of it. But yeah, I also can't listen to warm mode.

May 7, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,543 of 1,557
That's a good point to consider, but no they wetr exactly the same. Both times Tidal on my V20. And I've never downloaded any form of EQ on it.

I don't feel that there's more bass really, just more warmth, which makes it "feel" more bassy, but also more bloated. In other words, to me the amount of bass doesn't change, just the shape of it. But yeah, I also can't listen to warm mode.

The warmth is inherent when the dial is moved towards the warm mode but also the amount of bass (sub & mid) is increasing.
For a less muddy sound, you may consider two things:
1. Eartips - I've tried many tips but I found that the best sound is achieved when using the stock biflange.The bass becomes a little bit lighter so you can add more by changing the dial without losing too much clarity.
2. Cable upgrade - changing the stock one really helps. I'm using a balanced one and the bass is cleaner, deeper and tighter.
Initially I was using the dial around 12 o'clock but I moved towards 4 o'clock after the above changes, having huge amount of bass without compromising the whole spectrum.

May 8, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,544 of 1,557
The warmth is inherent when the dial is moved towards the warm mode but also the amount of bass (sub & mid) is increasing.
For a less muddy sound, you may consider two things:
1. Eartips - I've tried many tips but I found that the best sound is achieved when using the stock biflange.The bass becomes a little bit lighter so you can add more by changing the dial without losing too much clarity.
2. Cable upgrade - changing the stock one really helps. I'm using a balanced one and the bass is cleaner, deeper and tighter.
Initially I was using the dial around 12 o'clock but I moved towards 4 o'clock after the above changes, having huge amount of bass without compromising the whole spectrum.

I've tried different eartips, but these IEMs only work well in terms of fit with a handful of tips. Something about the nozzle. Otherwise the tips give a slight variance, but not nearly what I heard before. I'll wait to conclude this judgement once I get some Sony hybrids in the mail.
In terms of cable upgrades, I don't actually believe in cables making a difference in sound. I've already modded a KZ silver cable with some Null Audio pins which I use instead of the stock cable. Both sound identical to me, except this modded cable doesn't have memory wire (don't like it).

I did turn the knob slightly and you are right, I did get more bass than I previously heard. I only turned it to about 8-9 o-clock (7 being the tightest setting). It adds a touch more bass, but doesn't mess with the clarity. Unfortunately it's still not yet to what I remember, but it's closer.

May 9, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,545 of 1,557
I've tried different eartips, but these IEMs only work well in terms of fit with a handful of tips. Something about the nozzle. Otherwise the tips give a slight variance, but not nearly what I heard before. I'll wait to conclude this judgement once I get some Sony hybrids in the mail.
In terms of cable upgrades, I don't actually believe in cables making a difference in sound. I've already modded a KZ silver cable with some Null Audio pins which I use instead of the stock cable. Both sound identical to me, except this modded cable doesn't have memory wire (don't like it).

I did turn the knob slightly and you are right, I did get more bass than I previously heard. I only turned it to about 8-9 o-clock (7 being the tightest setting). It adds a touch more bass, but doesn't mess with the clarity. Unfortunately it's still not yet to what I remember, but it's closer.
Maybe it was the source that was previously used that made the difference? And maybe they were previously EQ’d slightly? I find a great way of listening to the Velvets is to have the dial around 9-10 o’clock, reducing the mid bass made by the crossover, and then EQ in several dB of sub bass (100htz down) as I know the Velvets can take it without distorting. It keeps everything beautifully clear and then when the music calls from for it, that sub makes an appearance and shocks me all over again.
Play around with settings on the IEM and your source. Find your prefect match, it’s there somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back